• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE 5 essential IDE/GUI improvements

Frotenkz

Hi there,
Been using GMS since 2014 and have some suggestions on GMS2s environment that'll help improve workflow. Hopefully these are already on the cards :)

-Sub tabs
When you full screen multiple objects event codes or scripts it puts it into one 'Code' tab, where you cannot tell which object event is which. They all say Create, Step etc. It would be great if it was broken into sub tabs starting at 'Code', then 'Object1' 'Object2' 'Scripts', then under these tabs it shows the objects events code.

-Creating your own Resource Views
Option to turn on auto-adding of resources objects/sprites etc if they sit under a parent. At the moment if you add a new resource it won't appear in your view and have to manually add it each time.

-Faint lines showing where tabbed or bracketed code begins and ends, similar to what notepad++ does. Also give the choice to choose a line color.

-Open each object from your resource view in a new workspace option (good for smaller or single screens and working on laptops). This will stop you from losing your view in a workspace, you can still drag new resources into existing workspaces.

-Have a window thats dockable showing all resources in a workspace.

rIKmAN

-Faint lines showing where tabbed or bracketed code begins and ends, similar to what notepad++ does. Also give the choice to choose a line color.
You can turn this on in File > Preferences > Text Editor > Code Editor > Show tab lines.
You can also set Tab lines colour just above that setting.

Frotenkz

You can turn this on in File > Preferences > Text Editor > Code Editor > Show tab lines.
You can also set Tab lines colour just above that setting.
Ah I meant the lines beginning and ending where a { starts and ends }. That option is ok, but its a lot cleaner having it begin and end where the { } are. Also that reminds me, cold folding on the {} would be nice as well.

But thanks for pointing that out, it's close to what I meant.

rIKmAN

Ah I meant the lines beginning and ending where a { starts and ends }. That option is ok, but its a lot cleaner having it begin and end where the { } are. Also that reminds me, cold folding on the {} would be nice as well.

But thanks for pointing that out, it's close to what I meant.
You could also check out GMEdit, a lot of people prefer that to the GMS2 code editor.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
When you full screen multiple objects event codes or scripts it puts it into one 'Code' tab, where you cannot tell which object event is which. They all say Create, Step etc. It would be great if it was broken into sub tabs starting at 'Code', then 'Object1' 'Object2' 'Scripts', then under these tabs it shows the objects events code.
Feel free to file a bug report suggesting this be added. :)

Option to turn on auto-adding of resources objects/sprites etc if they sit under a parent. At the moment if you add a new resource it won't appear in your view and have to manually add it each time.
This is not going to be an issue when the 2.3 update drops as the resource tree is getting a major overhaul... ;)

-Open each object from your resource view in a new workspace option (good for smaller or single screens and working on laptops). This will stop you from losing your view in a workspace, you can still drag new resources into existing workspaces.
This isn't going to happen I don't think... instead, have a look at this tech blog and see if that helps you with workspace navigation: https://www.yoyogames.com/blog/539/workspace-navigation-tips-and-tricks

-Have a window thats dockable showing all resources in a workspace.
This was considered, but it was felt that it would just clutter the windows too much. The workspaces can be zoomed in and out so you can get an overview (see the blog I linked above).

Also that reminds me, cold folding on the {} would be nice as well.
Check out the #region / #endregion tags (see the manual).

Frotenkz

You could also check out GMEdit, a lot of people prefer that to the GMS2 code editor.
Thanks yeah I use this one already, there's no option I can see any longer to choose your own editor any more though. So at the moment, for large pieces of code I am copy pasting the code into the editor and back. I can also open the files directly too. But yeah having something built in or the use an alternate code editor option would be nice.

Feel free to file a bug report suggesting this be added. :)
Ok thanks, I'll try that putting it in there.

This is not going to be an issue when the 2.3 update drops as the resource tree is getting a major overhaul... ;)
Well this sounds interesting, can't wait :)

This isn't going to happen I don't think... instead, have a look at this tech blog and see if that helps you with workspace navigation:
Fair enough, yeah have used this blog and a few others to help find ways to promote a good workflow. Hoping more will be added to the workspace section in the future, it has potential. Things such as opening a resource and then have it automatically open all connected/linked resources to it would be nice. Then you have an immediate workspace built around the resource you just opened.

This was considered, but it was felt that it would just clutter the windows too much. The workspaces can be zoomed in and out so you can get an overview (see the blog I linked above).
Fair enough, that's cool it was considered thanks for the info.

Check out the #region / #endregion tags (see the manual).
Cheers, on big uses of code I use this.