GML Get Room Properties (Listed Here) of Room You Aren't In

Is there any way to get room height, instances, instance positions, or instance variables in a room that you aren't in? I was thinking these might be important for procedurally creating the map image in the corner and pause screen for a metroidvania game. I don't think loading every single room at game beginning to collect theses would be timely enough.

TheouAegis

Is the entire game itself procedurally-generated? Or are you designing the entire layout and simply want the map to be generated as you go? If you are creating all the rooms yourself and just want the map to be generated as you go, take my advice and give up now. You are better off compiling the map data yourself. You can get room dimensions and things like that still in gms2, I think, but you cannot get content information. At least as far as I am aware, that still holds true.

If everything is being procedurally-generated, though, then it doesn't matter really, does it? there's not going to be anything on the map because you haven't generated the room yet. So when you generate the room, also generate the map data.

Is the entire game itself procedurally-generated? Or are you designing the entire layout and simply want the map to be generated as you go? If you are creating all the rooms yourself and just want the map to be generated as you go, take my advice and give up now. You are better off compiling the map data yourself. You can get room dimensions and things like that still in gms2, I think, but you cannot get content information. At least as far as I am aware, that still holds true.
The rooms themselves wont be procedurally generated. I was hoping to have some way of not constantly revising the map when the design changes. How can you find the room height and width outside the one you're in? Maybe I can use the room name to configure placement of things in the room and for drawing the map.

Last edited: