• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Networking Issues

G

Gomango999

I have an extremely basic network set up, but the client does not seem to want to connect. I have two game maker programs running on two computers connected to the same wifi. I am using teamviewer so that I can work off one computer.

The first one has an client object with this in the create event: (msg is a custom script equivalent to show_message)
sock_self = network_create_socket(network_socket_tcp);
server = network_connect_raw(sock_self,"192.168.1.113", 6510);
msg("Finished connecting");

The second one on my other computer has a server object with this create event:
sock_self = network_create_server_raw(network_socket_tcp, 6510, 32);

I execute the server program first, and then the client program, but the client is unable to connect.

If I write some code in the step event to make the client program try multiple times, like so:
if (server < 0) {
server = network_connect_raw(sock_self, "192.168.1.113" , 6510);
}
and add this line of code to the create event:
network_set_config(network_config_connect_timeout,1000);

The client will consistently fail to connect to the server. In the compile log (not sure what's is called), I get this message that prints each time it tries to connect:
ioctlsocket failed with error: -1
Error (0x 2736): Could not set socket option

I've had a similar game maker server work just a few days before this incident, and have since restarted both computers while bugfixing. I am hoping that after dumping this information, someone might have a suggestion of what the issue might be, since I am absolutely stumped. Thanks for your time!

G

Gomango999

I realise now that it was the firewall that was blocking the gamemaker connection. I have now switched my network to private, and it is working just fine. Thanks for your help guys!

D

DerFubel

I realise now that it was the firewall that was blocking the gamemaker connection. I have now switched my network to private, and it is working just fine. Thanks for your help guys!
I'm two years late and I hope you're still active, but could you please describe how you did that? I have the exact same error and I'm new to networking, so yeah...

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I'm two years late and I hope you're still active, but could you please describe how you did that? I have the exact same error and I'm new to networking, so yeah...
You seem to be new to common sense as well.

First of all, Gomango999's account was deactivated precisely because of prolonged inactivity. I have no idea where your hope of him still being active comes from.

Second of all, your question is easily answered by a 5-second Google lookup. Searching for "windows firewall set private" yields this as the top result.

Stop posting on old topics expecting help from their original owners, and start using search engines like a modern-day literate should.

D

DerFubel

First of all, Gomango999's account was deactivated precisely because of prolonged inactivity. I have no idea where your hope of him still being active comes from.

Second of all, your question is easily answered by a 5-second Google lookup. Searching for "windows firewall set private" yields this as the top result.

Stop posting on old topics expecting help from their original owners, and start using search engines like a modern-day literate should.
Sadly, no, my queastion is not easily answered by a 5-second Google lookup as I already tried whatever I found and I still get the very same error.

I know you're trying to say that he's being dumb, but maaan, seriously, what is this Frosty? :)

From your first point, he's obviously a new user and doesn't quite realize how the forum works. Seeing someone like yourself who basically lives on this forum acting like he's made the biggest mistake in the world is... weird.

For your second point: It's *most likely* that he found this 2 year old topic by... Googling! And as a new user he probably thought he'd drop a friendly question while he continued his search. Very typical behavior for people who don't live their lives on forums. (although you're quite right: Necro-bumping is against the rules on *this* forum)

Again: Really weird you're flipping out on him and felt the need to try insult his intelligence. Just try chilling a little. No pun intended.