• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE predefined variable from type list for list of all gameobjects, LAG DELAY

Liquid

create an object
add a predefined variable for this object
use list as type of this predefined var
edit the list
add objects of your project
add more entries
add more...

at some point you have to wait 2 minutes and more for adding just one more entry in the list...
its soooooo bad ..so annoying..
i made a game with editor and the editor needs to know what item it can put into my level...therefore i use this predefined list of resouces ..and adding my 60 gameobjetcs is freaking 💩💩💩💩 waiting time...

finally i given up using GM2 IDE and used Windows Editor instead to edit the YY file of the object..saved in editor. and loaded the project with GM2 IDE again ... workaround found!

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
What's lagging? the IDE? The project when you run it? If it's the IDE, can you post the code that's lagging? I've not experienced any lag in the IDE yet and I have some pretty massive scripts. 60 lines adding something into a DS list certainly shouldn't cause lag if that is the issue you are trying to explain...

Liquid

the IDE is lagging, i dont try to run the project ..running the project is fine though.. i just add the resource in the IDE to the predefined list that causes the problem

edit i added a pic to imgur ....as it wont upload here in the post..odd
https://imgur.com/s6GL32i

if you edit this list (mouseclick on the gear-symbol after the list, before trashcan symbol) . list has enabled "multi select"... than adding one single entry (mouseclick on the plus-symbol for adding a new entry, than writing the name and press "return" to accept changes) will take for ages and IDE wont react in any way. windows shows the "busy" symble for mouse.

Last edited:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Ah, okay I see. In the variable definitions. You should file a bug report and include a link to download the project... as a work around, instead of editing the YYP, just define the list in the CREATE event of the instance using code. That way it's still in the instance and you don't need to mess around with the YYP file, which could potentially break the project.

Liquid

i added a better picture where you can see the ADD button
and than you just need writing text into the new field
and pressing return will accept changes
THAN you get the lag ...waiting

https://imgur.com/a/4Gb7bst

....., just define the list in the CREATE event of the instance using code. ....
but than i dont have multi-select for my instances in editor.

and...
yes i broke the project, gamemaker IDE thought it would be wise to delte the whole object because the YY file was not in the right format and deleted all other events and code of the whole object !!! I did not even save the project but IDE deleted it anyway.
Luckily i had old export file where i could import the missing object and try it again.

Last edited: