GameMaker [SOLVED] Unable to write file to program_directory with sandbox disabled

Log in at https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us then click your name in the top right and choose "My Activities" and you'll see a list of all your support tickets.

Open the one related to this issue and you will be able to add a message / extra info to it and it will be reopened if it has been closed for some reason.
Thank you, I've added a new message and I will update if I get a response or in a week if I don't.

@IndianaBones @rIKmAN @Catastrophe
Ticket was marked as solved.

YoYoGames said:
Thank you for reporting this, and sorry for the delay in responding, but it's not a bug or something we need to address, as the game not writing to program_directory is is actually correct - GMS will never write files to the program_directory, as doing so might cause someone to accidentally wipe out required game files. I did notice, however, that the program_directory page in the manual does appear to have accidentally had this bit of information removed since the sandbox opt-out was added, so I will ensure our docs team put that information back into the manual.
Essentially program_directory and subdirectories are protected even with sandbox unchecked. Stupid if you ask me. What's the point of making it appear the sandbox is optional if you're still sandboxed? Oh well, I guess I'll just use Samuel's File Manager extension.

Last edited:

rIKmAN

@IndianaBones @rIKmAN @Catastrophe
Ticket was marked as solved.

Essentially program_directory and subdirectories are protected even with sandbox unchecked. Stupid if you ask me. What's the point of making it appear the sandbox is optional if you're still sandboxed? Oh well, I guess I'll just use Samuel's File Manager extension.
Yeah I agree that’s a stupid reason catering to the possible idiocy of the lowest common denominator.

Let’s ban knives because some people use them to stab other people.

Thanks for the follow up @nacho_chicken.

JeffJ

Wow. This is pretty lame. I was genuinely excited when they decided to introduce the option to opt out of sandboxing. This might as well not be an option now.