GameMaker High FPS, but game is running in 'Slow-Motion'

C

Cyranh

Hi everyone,

I have a very generic question and very little info, but bare with me here.

I've been working on my game for a long time, and it's became pretty big. I've done tons of optimization tweaks and rerwitten tons of code to make the game run smoother. Also, I've included graphical options in the menu.

I'm very proud that my game is now running in 300 FPS on my PC, however, when I just tested it on a slow laptop, I noticed something strange. The FPS seems te be at minimum 100+ (averaging at 150) but is running in slow-motion. It's at least half the speed it should be. There's no lag-spikes or anything, just steady half speed.

Any ideas what could cause a game to run slower even if there's enough FPS?
My game speed is 30.
There's no difference in running the game from GameMaker or from Steam.

If you need any additional info, just let me know!

Thanks in advance!
-Cyranh

Last edited by a moderator:

TheouAegis

fps is 300 or fps_real is 300?

Do you have vertical synchronization enabled? Your laptop might have a lower sync rate than your desktop, especially if you have an additional surface. I haven't tested GMS games on my old laptop, but with GM8 turning synchronization on crippled one of my projects on my laptop as soon as I created a second surface, but it ran fine on my desktop.

C

Cyranh

Oops late reply... Christmas and family things, sorry for that.

Thanks for your reply, I'll look into v-sync. The fps and fps_real are all unreasonably high so I'm looking at the Steam FPS counter.

I'll check if v-sync fixes it. That could very well be it :)

TheouAegis

Oops late reply... Christmas and family things, sorry for that.

Thanks for your reply, I'll look into v-sync. The fps and fps_real are all unreasonably high so I'm looking at the Steam FPS counter.

I'll check if v-sync fixes it. That could very well be it :)
Oh it's a steam app? Try searching the forums. This has been an idsue with Steam before. I don't know if it ever got resolved, since I don't use Steam.

C

Cyranh

Oh okay if that could be a cause I'll also try with and without Steam just to be sure. Thanks

Jetwhite9

Did you ever figure this out? I have the issue too. Texture swaps/ batch breaks are in the 50avg range. Runs fine on most builds but some, specifically laptops, so far get high real_fps but the game runs in “slomo”. Have messed with sleep margin with no luck. Deleted most objects from the room with no effect. Played around with room speed, nothing. Used debugger profiler, nothing causing too much of an issue... any ideas? One laptop which has the issue has tried changing power profile, using integrated vs dedicated gpu. Still no effect. Would love to fix this..

Jetwhite9

Figured out my issue. Badly optimized particle systems. was at 300 real_fps. that debugger works wonders once you fully understand it ;). just started optimizing it properly and im back up to 1200 real_fps. also, cleaned up 100's of unnecessary objects in the room. good luck to anyone else that comes across this issue!