Free Varan (Windows, HTML5) [Update: Christmas edition added]

ras maxim

You are lost in the desert. Or in a forest. You can't understand. Suddenly, you notice a wild varan hiding in the sands that wants to kill you and eat you. You startle and run, but the vile animal starts to chase you...

Man vs. beast. Who will win this battle - the human or the reptile?

This is a very short game. You can complete it in a few seconds.
It features super-minimalistic, primitivistic art and high quality music.

It can be played or dowloaded either on here: https://gamejolt.com/games/varan/442501
or here: https://rasmaxim.itch.io/varan

P.S. Wikipedia on varans: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monitor_lizard

Last edited:

Toque

Hey my kind of simple fun game. Interesting that the sprites dont work in safari. Runs well with firefox.

Could use some improved sprites and a bit of a story. Maybe a little depth in play but hey its a fun little game.

Ok. I could not defeat the beast. I get that the tree is some how the attack. Maybe I couldn't get him to hit the tree enough times....????

Last edited:
I beat it!

Really, really short, but I have to say, yeah, kinda liked it.

Ok. I could not defeat the beast. I get that the tree is some how the attack.
If you were being chased by a Varan who wanted to eat you in real life, and you ran up to a tree, what would you try to do with the tree? ;)

Toque

I beat it!

Really, really short, but I have to say, yeah, kinda liked it.

If you were being chased by a Varan who wanted to eat you in real life, and you ran up to a tree, what would you try to do with the tree? ;)
Well played sir Dog.

ras maxim

Hey my kind of simple fun game. Interesting that the sprites dont work in safari. Runs well with firefox.

Could use some improved sprites and a bit of a story. Maybe a little depth in play but hey its a fun little game.

Ok. I could not defeat the beast. I get that the tree is some how the attack. Maybe I couldn't get him to hit the tree enough times....????
About this Safari issue - interesting. Could this be a bug? Can you please report it to the oficial tracker?

I just used the regular sprites, nothing special, it's just weird. About the art style - it should be like that.

D

Deleted member 45063

Played the HTML5 version and these are my remarks concerning the game:

Graphics: I understand you were going for a minimalist / primitive graphics style but I would still try to make the graphics a bit more cohesive. For instance, some elements feature shadows or slight gradients in order to hint towards some depth / curvature while other elements are completely flat.

Audio: The audio is of a nice quality, nothing against it.

Gameplay: Simple controls and simple premise, nice execution concerning that. I would just suggest to improve the dash attack that the Varan performs. You could make it dash on randomized intervals instead on basing it on the distance to the player since the latter makes it extremely easy to predict / bypass.

Overall a nice simple game. Hooks the player until it is completed, which should only take a couple of minutes or so. As others have mentioned you could try to enhance it with further elements (a story about how the player came to meet the Varan, longer playtime or other game elements).