Audio About Youtube audio library

F

FeNniX

Hey! I was wondering if we could use music from Youtube audio library in our games. Does anyone know about this? Is it allowed? I just wasn't able to find conclusive answer. If anyone knows something about it response would be greatly appreciated.

rIKmAN

Hey! I was wondering if we could use music from Youtube audio library in our games. Does anyone know about this? Is it allowed? I just wasn't able to find conclusive answer. If anyone knows something about it response would be greatly appreciated.
Obviously I am not a lawyer, but the Terms and Conditions state that:
Your use of this music library (including the music files in this library) is subject to the YouTube Terms of Service. Music from this library is intended solely for use by you in videos and other content that you create. You may use music files from this library in videos that you monetize on YouTube.

By downloading music from this library, you agree that you will not:
  • Make available, distribute or perform the music files from this library separately from videos and other content into which you have incorporated these music files (e.g., standalone distribution of these files is not permitted).
  • Use music files from this library in an illegal manner or in connection with any illegal content.
Additionally, some music files from this library may be subject to additional requirements as set forth in the library (e.g., attribution requirements). You agree to comply with such requirements when you use music from this library.
Whilst a game could fall under "other content you create" the audio files under default GMS circumstances would be bundled "as-is" along with the game exe / data.win and so I think would break the T&Cs requirement that "standalone distribution of these files is not allowed".

You might be able to get around that with various methods to make it so the file aren't bundled "as-is" in the game directory, but I really don't think it would be worth it just to be safe.

As usual with legal issues, the best advice is given elewhere on an info page regarding the Audio Library:
Note: YouTube cannot give you information about legal liability or other issues that can occur off the platform. You may wish to consult a qualified attorney if you have questions about your use of music.

F

FeNniX

Thanks for reply.

Is there anybody who actually used music from youtube audio library and everything turned out fine?

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Thanks for reply.

Is there anybody who actually used music from youtube audio library and everything turned out fine?
Even if there were, things could've just "turned out fine" because Youtube's lawyers didn't notice anything that one time. That doesn't mean you won't run into trouble.

F

FeNniX

Even if there were, things could've just "turned out fine" because Youtube's lawyers didn't notice anything that one time. That doesn't mean you won't run into trouble.
Maybe you are right. From my point of view, as just beginner developer, it's worth the try. "Getting over it", for example, used music from there and it is quite big game.

rIKmAN

Maybe you are right. From my point of view, as just beginner developer, it's worth the try. "Getting over it", for example, used music from there and it is quite big game.
How do you know Bennett Foddey didn't sign an agreement to specifically licence whatever music he used for his game with the original musician?

If you'd already made your mind up that it's "worth a try" then why even bother making a thread to ask if it's ok?
Email Youtube, or Google, or even better track down the original musician and contact them for permission to use / a price to licence whatever music you want to use in your game.

There's loads of great quality and royalty free music out there that is completely free or so cheap that I don't understand why you'd want to risk using something with ambiguous T&Cs on the off chance that you might get away with it.

Most of this has already been covered, but I might as well break it down.

Does anyone know about this?
Except on the ridiculously small chance someone here is a lawyer, the answer is no.

Is it allowed? I just wasn't able to find conclusive answer.
If on the off-chance a lawyer showed up and decided to comment, they wouldn't be answering your question. Giving legal advice off the cuff is extremely unethical and opens them up to litigation from people on the internet who take their advice (i.e. you). They would instead likely parrot what others have said: "Talk to your attorney first. If you don't have one, get one."

It's really best to find resources that have a clear license so you don't have to worry about the extra expense of an attorney.