Discussion Dimensional dillemna.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Misty

Does anyone else feel this pressing existential stress and crisis? Every time I think of making a game I debate with myself whether it should be 2d, 3d, or 2.5d. Side scroller or top down. First person or third person. My heart races and I begin to have a dimensional dillemna.

I feel trapped within these dimensions. I feel like I am only a 2d or 3d being. Whenever I think about making games, I think about all the flaws and limitations a 2d game might have. And then thinking about how 3d is perhaps too open. And that I am also locked into the laws and constraints of spatial realities. That if I move into a northeast direction, I will end up ending up northeast. It just feels so predictable and samey. Then I think about what if I put portals and teleports and MC Escher type things to make it less predictable. Then it feels forced and unnatural, and also gimmicky and samey, like I am trying too hard to be different.

I feel like this is the wrong direction. I begin to doubt spiritual hippies who believe in five different dimensions. I feel like complexity is not the answer, that it is a never ending complication and extending outward into a never satisfied reaching. But instead, the solution is to turn inward, into a simplification. To take calming mind-altering substances that will bring joy just from the simple things.

E

Erramir

Hello, i am new to the forum, but no to life, so i will try to give an input. Mind me if have typos since english is not my native language.

All that questions you made should be answered having as a BASE the 1) subject you wanna treat in the game adn 2) the kind of experience you want the player to have.

For example a farming game is usually a top-down view, because you are like the "admin" of the farm and need the player to oversee all his territory, but, maybe you want to give another more huh.. simulator experiencie? rather than an admin that watches it all, (as a CEO , and giving comands to the workers) you may give the player a first person experience, as a WORKER it self! Even an exploited worker in modern times.

Imagine playing age of empire with a villager POV (is he dies you jumpo to another view) or a soldier. maybe a fixed game play like that would jut be a FP game, so you may add the "oversee" top down/isometric view to manage things, and , the option to go first person if desired by the player.. there you build the mechanic and reasons WHY the player would go 1st person.

::

Now you/anyone dont want to confuse the player and just because being "inventive" make a FPS with a mine-fieldlike ground full of hidden portals that may interrupt your charge agaisnt other player and send you to another X Y Z possition, frustrating.

:::
But instead, the solution is to turn inward, into a simplification. To take calming mind-altering substances that will bring joy just from the simple things.
I would think about 2-3 or even 4 characteristics for the GENERAL game concept and build everything around that, rather than travelling in a cloud of brainstormed unfocused ideas, this means, not just thinging about dimension, i refer to my first words: subject and experiencie.

You want a hard, stressing farm game experiencie? go for the 2,5 isometric or 3D first person "exploited worker" take on the subject! and so on.

M

Misty

Hello, i am new to the forum, but no to life, so i will try to give an input. Mind me if have typos since english is not my native language.

All that questions you made should be answered having as a BASE the 1) subject you wanna treat in the game adn 2) the kind of experience you want the player to have.

For example a farming game is usually a top-down view, because you are like the "admin" of the farm and need the player to oversee all his territory, but, maybe you want to give another more huh.. simulator experiencie? rather than an admin that watches it all, (as a CEO , and giving comands to the workers) you may give the player a first person experience, as a WORKER it self! Even an exploited worker in modern times.

Imagine playing age of empire with a villager POV (is he dies you jumpo to another view) or a soldier. maybe a fixed game play like that would jut be a FP game, so you may add the "oversee" top down/isometric view to manage things, and , the option to go first person if desired by the player.. there you build the mechanic and reasons WHY the player would go 1st person.

::

Now you/anyone dont want to confuse the player and just because being "inventive" make a FPS with a mine-fieldlike ground full of hidden portals that may interrupt your charge agaisnt other player and send you to another X Y Z possition, frustrating.

:::

I would think about 2-3 or even 4 characteristics for the GENERAL game concept and build everything around that, rather than travelling in a cloud of brainstormed unfocused ideas, this means, not just thinging about dimension, i refer to my first words: subject and experiencie.

You want a hard, stressing farm game experiencie? go for the 2,5 isometric or 3D first person "exploited worker" take on the subject! and so on.
Yes I understood everything you say. Your English is fine.

My question is, there are so many games. Thousands of games. Everything has been done before. We can give the experience of a farmer but that has been done by so many games. People are trying so hard to make a novelty, but nothing truly different can be done anymore. The only thing left is to turn inwards. Perhaps by creating primitive, rather than intellectual, type feelings. This way the novelty is not important, only the quality itself. And also I think it would be a boon to the game industry, to develop smell technology as well.

I don't think novelty is all that important in a broad sense. What is more important is the details of implementation. If you're trying to decide whether to use 3d, ask yourself what it adds to your gameplay experience. If you need to be able to see things from far away, while also being able to see things that are nearby, then a perspective projection is helpful. Another thing to think about is that making art content in 3d can be easier than making it in 2d. If you want to see a 2d image from another perspective or in a new pose, you have to draw the whole thing over again.

Jabbers

Does anyone else feel this pressing existential stress and crisis? Every time I think of making a game I debate with myself whether it should be 2d, 3d, or 2.5d. Side scroller or top down. First person or third person. My heart races and I begin to have a dimensional dillemn.
Imagine having so little to worry about...

M

Misty

Imagine having so little to worry about...
Your species is not one with nature and you create problems for yourself...

Here is an article that mocks your insane busybody lifestyle
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/...mits-your-creativity?utm_source=pocket-newtab
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/...mits-your-creativity?utm_source=pocket-newtab

We should all be living in tree-houses using internet once a month at most

new games should be an Event not something that is spammed out daily

fun should be had with orgies, marijuana, building, larping, and hunting, instead of using electricity every day

instead of polluting being a busy body working hard and on your phone all day consuming

we only have one ozone

Last edited:

Rob

if you can make the game in isometric then do it! (even if it's a turd I'll buy it)

That line of reasoning is too pretenious to believe, but as is the illusory effect of Misty's topics, it's hard to know where the jokes start and end.
It isn't pretentious, only beyond your understanding. Broaden your horizons. Open your mind's eye!

Last edited:

Jabbers

Misty is more like Russel Brand before kicking the habit. A kind of beautiful, pseudo-profound word salad with hints of ill-will.

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
Misty reminds me vaguely of Ross Scott's version of Gordon Freeman. Of course, Misty and Scott's Gordon wouldn't get along very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.