Discussion Origin of your username?

MaxLos

Basically the title; I wanna hear how or why you picked the username your currently using :)

Now I know that the topic creator should usually be the one to start things off but... I actually don't wanna talk about mine >_>

I was hugely obsessed with Halo 2's development before it came out, and when it did, I joined the Bungie forums under this name as this gun was my favourite fictional weapon at the time.

Now I know that the topic creator should usually be the one to start things off but... I actually don't wanna talk about mine >_>
I'm gonna guess it's short for Maximum Loser. :3

MaxLos

I was hugely obsessed with Halo 2's development before it came out, and when it did, I joined the Bungie forums under this name as this gun was my favourite fictional weapon at the time.

I'm gonna guess it's short for Maximum Loser. :3
LOL ok thats actually a new one and actually made me laugh, people usually say MaxLost :(

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I am a crusty goth at heart, and years ago (about 25 years ago actually!!!) I was a singer/songwriter making solo electro-goth and also was part of a deathmetal band. I needed a name for my solo work, and decided on "Nocturne" as in musical terminology a nocturne is considered "a dark passage of music"... which for an electro-goth musician is pretty appropriate. :)

Since then I have used this for just about everything with minor variations depending on the site, eg: "TheNocturne", "A_Nocturne", "NocturneGames", etc... I like it, and feel it suits my character nicely. Can't really imagine ever using anything else after all this time.

D

DarthTenebris

The year was 2013. I got my first Android tablet. A close friend of mine introduced me to Minecraft: PE. I soon found I needed a unique name to play on servers. I tried a lot of names I actually liked, all of them were taken. Finally I said "f**k it" and jammed a random adjective and a random noun, and added a random string of 8 number just for good measure. It ended up being too long, so it was cut down to 7 numbers. When I created my account here on the GMC (the old one, the one that's going to be deleted), it was still the days when I played Minecraft: PE, and as such transferred the username here. When the forums was moved, I retained my username.

As of this post, I no longer have the freedom to play as much, and my interests have shifted since 2013, and I now sometimes wish I can change my username to something more interesting that better fits 2019 me's humor. I believe Nocturne can change an account's "member" status to something custom if requested, but I'm pretty sure usernames can't be changed.

I worked at KFC during my teenage years and thought the name RefresherTowel would be funny as a handle on Counter Strike. 15 or so years later and it's still going strong...The weirdest thing is that whenever I play MMO's, I get complimented a lot about the name. I have absolutely no idea why, but I find it pretty hilarious, so it seems 16 year old me was right.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
I now sometimes wish I can change my username to something more interesting that better fits 2019 me's humor. I believe Nocturne can change an account's "member" status to something custom if requested, but I'm pretty sure usernames can't be changed.
He totally can change account names! He also absolutely loves it when you mention that it was me who sent you in the PM you're requesting the name change in... :D

My user name is probably of the boring kind... my name is Satsuka. For some reason, that's too long or complicated for most of those I've told that name to, so they usually refer to me as Tsuka or Satsu. A couple of creative and/or dyslexic people I know even managed to completely mess it up and address me as "Suzuki". Out of those, Tsuka sounded almost like a nickname and less like an accidental misspelling, car or fruit (although I love satsumas, so being nicknamed after them wouldn't be the end of the world either...), so I went with that.

Probably at some point, Tsuka was taken. One of the main characters in my game Shattered Souls (the smugly stylish girl you see in my avatar) inherited my name, and her last name is Yuriko, so I tacked that onto my until-then nickname... and TsukaYuriko has been as iconic as my user name as Satsuka Yuriko has been for any of my online representations ever since.

My original username was "Neon Jackal".
I always liked that saying "Jack of all trades. Master of none." and I relate to that hard with all my different hobbies and interests. I condensed "Jack of all" into "Jackal" which was convenient because I thought the animal was cool too(also it was the unlockable alternate version of my Gauntlet Legends character).
I didn't want to use "Jackal" by itself so I took the "none" out of "Master of none" and rearranged it to "Neon". Thought it sounded cool together and it was unique at the time.
Somehow someone else claimed it on Xbox Live...
Years later I got a bit tired of it, so I came up with Siolfor. Siolfor is just a misspelling of an old anglo-saxon spelling for the word "Silver", which was often spelt "Seolfer".
Chose silver because it's chemical element is Ag, which are my IRL initials, and I always preferred it over gold.
And so that other people I have gotten to know over the years might have less trouble with the name transistion, I slapped "The Jackal" on the end.
And that's how I got "Siolfor the Jackal".

Dr. Wolf

Well, I used to make custom maps (UMS) for Starcraft: Brood War. I'd always aimed at a more "hardcore" section of the playerbase, with an emphasis on bigger projects and gameplay that diverged further from the base game, and a relatively low priority on accessibility. But I found myself also wanting to make simpler things, projects that took less effort while also aiming at a wider audience. Being somewhat embarrassed by such projects, I decided to create a new account to host them, with a generic "pubbie" name; eventually I settled on "FoxWolf1", figuring that two popular animals and a number was about as generic as you could get (and, indeed, there are "FoxWolf1"s out there who are not me). Shortly thereafter, I was running a test of some in-map anti-cheat code on my main account when Blizzard made a (rare) pass through Battle.net with their own anti-cheat system, which of course picked up the hack I was using to test my anti-cheat system, so my main account got banned and I was stuck as FoxWolf1.

I stayed that way for a while, and then modified it to "Dr. Wolf" when I finished graduate school. The current name isn't any less generic-- there are plenty of other "Dr. Wolf"s-- but damn if I wasn't going to do something after all that. Ironically, the result of all this is not that far removed from my actual name...

trg601

Oh god this really really makes me want to change my username. trg601 is pretty much the only username I've ever had, and it's just my initials and the house number of the first house I lived in. It's so basic but I've had it so long I feel like a replacement would have to be really good.

Back when I first joined the forum, I had just had a discussion with a friend of mine about the number of games, films, books, etc. that feature main villains that are referred to as He Who Shall Not Be Named, He Who We Shall Not Speak Of, or things along those lines, where people are afraid to even speak their name because they're so terrible. I just thought it would be funny to have someone on the forum go, "You know who was really helpful? He Who Shall Not Be Named."

Now I look at it and go, "I should have gone with something shorter..."

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
When I was a little kid, I put an oversized stuffed bear on my shoulders, and an oversized hoodie on top of that, making it look like the bear's head was my own. I got a kick out of that, so I made a comic (which got pretty long, for something being made by a little kid) called Bearman. It was a super hero who was just a guy with a stuffed bear on his shoulders wearing a hoodie.

Thinking back, that old comic was pretty epic. He fought four different villains, got one of them to join him, and met another character named Gemini (my zodiac). He eventually discovered two artifacts called Castor and Pollux which would transform him into an over-powered version called "Ursaman". That comic had everything, from character development to mech battles. XD The comic went on hiatus for a few years, I added a few chapters, and ultimately it was abandoned.

So, yeah. I first started using the Internet when I was 17, and the first website I found was the GMC. I decided to become a member, and named myself Bearman_18. 18 was the year, and I just like underscores. I've been using this name ever since. If Bearman_18 is taken, I'll go by "Bearman_18f'rils". Because I'm the real one, I guess. Lol. The first status update I made was "New with no image", and Lukan drew me one. I've defaced it several times since then.

The username Cloaked Games was made with the intent of it being my primary username for game development and publishing for the foreseeable future. So I spent a long time thinking of ideas. I also made sure it was fairly searchable, so my itch.io page shows up early in the search results, etcetera. I settled for Cloaked Games because it is cool I think. Cloaks are cool and mysterious, common in fantasy.

My casual gamer tag is different though, that one is "The Mad Villager". I ended up with that one because I liked Minecraft villagers, and I ended up making my Minecraft skin a villager with a lab coat, and hair and glasses that look kind of like my own. I liked the idea of my MC persona being a villager mad scientist, so I use that name also for other platforms when I can. Or other variations as necessary (ECCTheMadVillager, TMV, etcetera).

Bingdom

Googledom
My username's origin comes back from year 5 (about 9 years ago) when I was in the process of creating a Sploder account (likely one of my first internet accounts other than Facebook). This was also around the time when I first met my best friend.

A square banner ad with profound text saying "Build your kingdom" was shown during account creation. I (obviously) generated a few play-ons with the word "Kingdom" until I found the one I liked.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
My name is just the first syllable of one of my middle names. Nobody could pronounce it properly if I used the swedish spelling, so I figured I would use a spelling that sounds like how you're intended to pronounce it, making it more internationally viable. (I don't remember the reason why I didn't base it off of my given name, but I suppose I figured that since you're not supposed to share personal info online, I should use something less obvious than my real name... or my other middle name, which is so rare I'm the only person in the country named it)

Also, fun fact, there's a real-life military aircraft that can shoot lasers which is named the YAL-1. I was not involved in that project.

Binsk

Hah, some of these stories are quite interesting.

Mine is just my childhood nickname. An uncle used to call me this ridiculously long nickname, a small part of it being "binsky". My sisters picked up the "Binsk" part and started calling me that. It ended up sticking and even my parents use it at this point about half the time. I generally use it for all my accounts (or Binsky / The Binsk if taken).

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
Hah, some of these stories are quite interesting.

Mine is just my childhood nickname. An uncle used to call me this ridiculously long nickname, a small part of it being "binsky". My sisters picked up the "Binsk" part and started calling me that. It ended up sticking and even my parents use it at this point about half the time. I generally use it for all my accounts (or Binsky / The Binsk if taken).
Does Binsk resemble your real world name?

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Memes, raccoons, programming, sleep!
Long ago, the four nations lived together in harmony. Then, everything changed when the programming Nation attacked. Only the Raccoon, master of all four elements, could stop them, but when the world needed him most, he vanished. A hundred years passed and my brother and I discovered the new raccoon, an Raccoon named Evanski.

No? not buying that one?

First name + lastname - some letters = Boom generic username more people know me by then my epic xbox gamertag that wat 3 letters and numbers

Last edited:

drandula

As a kid, I once called my friend (no mobile phones at time), and said my name really quickly and friends mom on other end misheard and repeated what she heard. Then what I heard back became my username later.

Mr Magnus

Viking King
My name is Magnús, and 13 year old me thought adding "mr." in front of it would make for a good username. I wasn't very original back then, and yet I still use it every so often as a default username despite a good 13 years passing since.

woods

Woods is short for woodsguide..

late 90s / early 2000s i am at a gasstation near the border of montana, and this young native american ...maybe 12,14yrs ish was giving (who i assume his mother) a hard time about some life lesson she was trying to teach him.. as me and my friend were walking out of the store, i popped off a quick no brainer solution to this kid's problem. the older woman stopped mid sentence and pointed at me.. and to the youngster said "YOU LISTEN TO THIS WOODSGUIDE!" and reammed the kid a new one (i assume she was refueled by me backing her up)
there has been many many occasions where i have pointed out an option that they didnt see..

so the saying evolved into something along the lines of
thru the trials of life, there are many paths that we cannot or choose not to see.. i can only point out the paths, it is up to you to follow the road you choose..
or something along those lines ;o)

when i finally arrived at the internet "WoodsGuide" was born
...that and i really didnt take to well to being known as "hellcat's lilbrother" // early years of utopia.. my sister didnt mess around ... she was a true hellcat ;o)

rui.r6o

My username comes from my actual name, Rui Rosário. The r6o bit is a play on how programmers like to shorten long names (internationalization to i18n, localization to L10n), except in this case I'm going by the number of bytes needed to encode my last name in UTF-8: 7 letters, but á takes two bytes because of the accent, therefore r6o.

Bluetail7

I got help with my username.

Its my 3 favorite things together

The Seven in the end is because of how lucky I am.

And also because of a character I own and appreciate.

I love how simple and catchy my username got to be.

ohms

Basically the title; I wanna hear how or why you picked the username your currently using :)

I chose ohms because I work as an electrician and I just wanted a username that was just one syllable. makes it much easier to remember when meeting people online.

jackrucel

A misspelled character named Jack Russell, from a PS2 game called Radiata Stories, dos anyone knows this game? hahaha, so many years ago, damn, I
getting old hahahah

D

Deleted member 13992

No idea what it means. Been using it for 20 years.

Before, I'd been using my musician name for gaming, Then decided against it. Found a couple syllables that rolled off the tongue I guess.

Schtipadoo

I used "schtipadoo" for quite a while
it was just because once i had a cool name but i forgot it so i misremembered it

Last edited:

Kezarus

Endless Game Maker
My name is Cesar and, back in 2001, my old kendo sensei Matsumoto read my written name and said 'Kezaru' (he had a veeery strong japanse accent). So I slaped a 'S' at the end and voilà: Kezarus. XD

Been using this nickname eversince. Couldn't barely remember this story.

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu
There's a saying that "There's no 'I' in TEAM." One day I made an animation of the letter i that ended up fading into the negative space of a capital 'A' in the word TEAM. And thus, the name Pixel-Team was born. I thought it was fitting for both a single developer like myself, but it would also work if I ever actually have a team. So I bought pixel-team.net, which as of a couple weeks ago points to my itch.io page.

BiTrunade

I wanted a unique name to buy a .com domain, and avoid being buried in search results had I used a more common name. So I spent hours looking for one but most of them were unavailable. I wanted something releated to electronics so "Bit" was my first choice, and wanted it to be included in the name.

The other half came by accident.

Bi-Trunade

Bi = Bit (I wanted something related to electronics)

and Trunade... Well...

1628406673987.png

My brother was playing Yu-Gi-Oh when he used this card, and I thought "Huh. Trunade... Bit-Trunade... Bi-T-Runade... By-Trunade. That's good." I quickly looked it up on GoDaddy and it was available. And from then on, I kept going.

I removed the T from Bit because Trunade already had it. And always pronounced it By-Trunade, though the majority pronouces it as Bit-Runade, which led me to start pronouncing it that way short after.

AnthonyRose

3 years ago I started liking flowers, specifically roses, how many meanings and deep thoughts they gave me when looking at one, so when choosing a nick "to be known as" I wanted something that could go well with roses, and well, one day I saw some ants then had this sudden thought "AntRose".
Then I can't remember well what I was thinking after and ended up putting "AnthonyRose" on almost everything (or similar like "anthonylerose") instead.