Tutorials forum needs a useful sticky?

C

Catastrophe

So I checked out the tutorials forum, and taking a glance at it, I don't think I would find it useful as a newbie. In fact, I can only see an intermediate user finding the forum useful, and only one who was just browsing to see what GMS is capable of.

It sounds like we need a sticky with an actual list of the useful newb tutorials, and maybe grouping the other existing ones into useful categories.

I wouldn't mind creating said list myself, but I'm lazy so I wouldn't mind someone else doing it. But I thought I'd post here to see what other people thought.

Last edited by a moderator:

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
So I checked out the tutorials forum, and taking a glance at it, I don't think I would find it useful as a newbie. In fact, I can only see an intermediate user finding the forum useful, and only one who was just browsing to see what GMS is capable of.
It's true that the tutorials forum favors more advanced tutorials. The primary reason is because they're submitted by more advanced users. So they're better written and use better coding practices.

Many beginner tutorial submissions are rejected because they're poorly constructed, or offer little beyond the manual. Or no explanation at all. Those aren't helpful, in my opinion. YoYo Games' own tutorials are better choices.

I also proposed adding more categories and cleaning up the tutorial section
I agree the current tutorials forum could use some cleaning. But I'm leery about more sub-forums (if that's what you mean by "categories"). Perhaps a pinned topic with an index of selected tutorials would be better, as @Catastrophe suggested.

Last edited: