• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

can i ref this in script?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Yes, like this:
Code:
inst_2056D1A7.x = room_width/2;
Or more generally, anywhere that takes an instance ID.

In actual practice, you'd probably want to rename that to something more intelligible before doing this.

T

tonywarriner

Thanks. And can I read it? For example, if I wanted, for any given object, to read that name and render it out on screen for debug purposes, for example...?

TheouAegis

Thanks. And can I read it? For example, if I wanted, for any given object, to read that name and render it out on screen for debug purposes, for example...?
No. They're essentially just macros you create for instances added to the room. Unlike resource names, GM doesn't save instance names to the code.

T

tonywarriner

No. They're essentially just macros you create for instances added to the room. Unlike resource names, GM doesn't save instance names to the code.
Ok, understood. Thanks for the replies... :)