Drag & Drop

D

dupe you

I've been slowly reading through the link you've provided, yet as someone that's entirely new to the concept of using a game-engine, I'm finding it quite overwhelming.

There's quite a few short videos out there for some functions of the Toolbox, however not all of them are shown.

I've been slowly reading through the link you've provided, yet as someone that's entirely new to the concept of using a game-engine, I'm finding it quite overwhelming.

There's quite a few short videos out there for some functions of the Toolbox, however not all of them are shown.
Gotcha. Well you've come to the right place.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have questions. We don't bite (hard.)

Welcome to the GMC!

One last thing: Don't be afraid to "tinker around" a bit and experiment with blocks that are unfamiliar to you (once you are familiar with the basics.)

Last edited:

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
What would such a forum be used for? We already have the Programming forum where you can ask programming questions and the Tech Support forums for technical questions. Both of these are valid choices for D&D users.

D

dupe you

TsukaYuriko
" What would such a forum be used for? "

Not having to filter through coding information that is way past my current abilities.

I just learned that selecting a DnD function in the events menu & pressing the F1 key will take me to that exact function's properties in the manual. It was only by miss-clicking the F2 button to run the game is how I found this.

Simple things like this for experienced users may seem to be not a big thing, yet for novices such as myself, it can make using the engine so much easier.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Forums are not exactly meant for "coding information", though - are you talking about the manual? If so, it already has a section that focuses entirely on Drag and Drop. The Programming forum also has a Drag and Drop tag which can be filtered via the search.

I know that old habits die hard, but we should all try to forget about the stigma that you are not programming if you use the Drag & Drop Code Editor.

These days it's the same difference as the type of transmission you have in your car. ;)

TsukaYuriko
" What would such a forum be used for? "

Not having to filter through coding information that is way past my current abilities.

I just learned that selecting a DnD function in the events menu & pressing the F1 key will take me to that exact function's properties in the manual. It was only by miss-clicking the F2 button to run the game is how I found this.

Simple things like this for experienced users may seem to be not a big thing, yet for novices such as myself, it can make using the engine so much easier.
Well, you could search for "DND or "Drag and Drop" ... but it's slim pickings. I don't think that a dedicated forum would help very much. A better solution would be for some of us old-timers to "champion the cause" and become "DND Experts." I'm working on ithat very thing... I'm going to start answering Programming Questions in Drag and Drop (as well as the GML conversion in spoiler tags.) That way, my posts will be helpful to everyone (and won't exclude any sub-set of GMS2 users.)

Last edited:
M

MrLucky777

I don't think that a dedicated forum would help very much.
I couldn't disagree more. I do appreciate the idea of there being a group of DND experts on hand to help, but wouldn't a dedicated forum for DND be a fundamentally different and highly useful place? The game designer building games with GML has a very different mindset compared to a designer who intends to work in DND. I want to build games in DND, as an artist (not a software engineer), because of the accessibility of DND.

It seems to me the whole point of DND is to make game building available to beginners and non-programmers. GML code discussions and snippets make my eyes glaze over and leave me feeling hopeless that I'll ever be able to create a game.

So, why not a DND-specific forum, where beginners can ask 'dumb' and obvious questions (from the experiened coder POV), and where they can work together to hash out workable solutions? Along with helpful advice dropped down from the DND experts once in a while.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
While I'm capable of using D&D, GMS 2 isn't doing a very good job encouraging me to help out with people who won't code.

The first is the inability to improvise post-friendly D&D with GM off, unlike GML which I can. Out of my programming-related replies, at least 19 in 20 I don't actually run on GM, I trace through the logic in my head and that's it. That's how I can post at the rate I can. If you make me turn on GM every time I answer, I'd go crazy.

Add to this how regular forum software is hostile to stock D&D. It won't accept YYZ uploads, so responders can't post back solutions without taking up space and upkeep in their personal online storage accounts. And although you can take screenshots of D&D, anything past a handful of actions will either be illegibly small or go past the bottom of the screen, so the ceiling won't be that high before the only forum-presentable solution is code. In any case, reading these actions back from the screenshot is error-prone and fiddly, and if you're a rookie you're bound to miss something.

The design of GMS 2 is making it a nuisance to post answers in D&D, and an equal nuisance to receive answers in D&D. I don't think a dedicated forum will change that.

Now, it's up to YoYo to decide if they want to do it better. They can start accepting small YYZ uploads on the GMC. They can add a button in GMS 2 that saves an entire object/event's worth of D&D in one picture, and embed importable metadata in its comment (so that it can be imported on the receiving end). They can decide on something else that serves the same purpose.

They can add a button in GMS 2 that saves an entire object/event's worth of D&D in one picture, and embed importable metadata in its comment (so that it can be imported on the receiving end). They can decide on something else that serves the same purpose.
On a similar note, I hope GMS2 consider adding a print entire project feature. Sometimes it's easier to do manual old school approach in trying to do correction or spotting mistakes on paper, than staring at the screen. Currently my approach would either to copy paste or print screen my entire project.