Idea Inventing a whole new genre

M

McWolke

I don't recall flappy bird clones or idle games being very existent before the mobile market showed up :p
Not to mention games like Uplink and Pokemon GO where you need to move spatially IRL in order to progress through the game.
well, flappy bird is just another arcade game, not a new Genre. Pokemon GO is just another kind of Geocaching, but well, yeah, geocaching came with new Hardware, so you are right. :D

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
well, flappy bird is just another arcade game, not a new Genre.
That depends a lot on how granular you make genres. Dear Eshter and Firewatch both could count as platformers since there's jumping in them, making the Walking Simulator genre redundant.

P

ParodyKnaveBob

Exercise games generally need a special control interface. Does Wii Fit really fit into other genres much?

Of course, there was the NES' Power Pad and carnie games before that...

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kleavy

It's possible defiently. But it depends mostly on your creativity.
For me, because of my high creativity its not still not easy to come up with something completly new (of course) but i can come up with a couple unique ideas
to how you can create a new genre.
It may seem impossible at first. But when you come up with an idea try fantisizing a world based on that idea, i think the rest of the ideas might just start flowing in
Thats how a game is shaped (At least thats how i come up with my games)
to come up with an idea for a new genre: Try picking one idea, expand, then complex it and draw a system that shows how the idea works. Then start adding random stuff combine expiriment, just try something new and the idea might appear inside your head.
then the rest... i have no idea....
But if you can't make a new genre, try picking a genre that already exists, look for flaws that the games, based on that genre has and try creating an idea around that.
(This is my own way of creating games idk about you guys but this is all i can say.....)

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Is this even possible? I mean I guess it must be but it is seems really hard to do, to make a game that is not a rpg, fps, rts, TD, shooter, point and click games or any other genre but to invent a whole new genre would be cool.
So has anyone ever tried that and what was the result? I know that I have but all the things that I think of are just ideas that already exists.
Combining genres in new creative ways lets you create completely unique experiences, and we've had several examples of this in recent years:
  • Undertale is a bullet hell / Dragon Quest mashup where attack patterns are used to convey character and emotion (e.g. a character that is near death has so weak attacks they're slow and trivial to avoid, so you don't feel triumphant when you finally kill them)
  • Baba is You is a Sokoban / Programming game where you physically manipulate the rules like pushable crates, and a lot of the puzzles have simple solutions but involve unexpected combinations of mechanics, so you constantly feel like you're discovering something new.
  • Hades is a pretty standard roguelite, but the devs made special story events for essentially any notable gameplay thing you could do (including super-rare cases like winning on your first-ever run), and a lot of those are things most games wouldn't even track, for instance losing to a boss when using the same weapon repeatedly will have them mock you for being too predictable. This all comes together to create characters that feel alive and actually reacts to wath you're doing, creating a dynamic and evolving story that masks the genre's inherent repetition.