GMC Jam Discussion The Festive GMC Jam 35 - Discussion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relic

I will award a Steam key to our new game - Nation Breakers: Steam Arena - to 4th place in this Jam.

The countdown clock is still "coming soon"... with 5 hours to go..... or is it 3 hours? Let me go check the countdown clock.

G

GVmG

oooh supernatural, yesssssss

despite being very generic (possibly too generic, supernatural includes a lot of stuff from religion to aliens to magic to unexplained phenomena) I am 100% in on it

Last edited by a moderator:

Psycho_666

Hahaha, the false start I had last month was with the theme ? so the idea I had then perfectly nicely firs the theme now...
The issue is I now have 2 more ideas...

S

SuperT

Oh my god, I called it! Last week I was like, "it's probably Supernatural" too bad I gave up on thinking of ideas

I have a very cool concept, but thus far design implementation seems to be impossible. I will keep working at it... I don't want to compromise the concept.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I've got a really stupid idea, and an even more stupid idea for how to implement it. Stay tuna'd.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I already have a working tetris game, turns out my idea for how to implement it easily was more powerful than I expected! Time to add that extra zest I had in mind... blocks having different types, and the type giving them autonomous behavior.

C

Catastrophe

Make everything yourself, don't worry about winning xD

There's a sticky in this forums with jam resources to help, though.

I can assure you I didn't buy my Demon Santa:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Things are coming along smoothly!

My idea is that the different types of blocks will do different things, so you gotta think about what block types are safe to put where, not just about matching the patterns up.

Things are coming along smoothly!

My idea is that the different types of blocks will do different things, so you gotta think about what block types are safe to put where, not just about matching the patterns up.
Yal I'm so hyped for this. I love Tetris.

Reactions: Yal

Toque

Is my first JAM, in yoyogame, should I create my own sprite? Or can I get in the market?
You should read the top post. Third rule. You can use some pre made assets. Making your own is fun. Keep them simple.

Looking forward to playing your game. Have fun!!!!!!

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
You just have creepy red fonts lying around Yal?
I have stock resources of basically every type imaginable lying around, and I know several good places to find them in case my collection proves insufficient :p
This font in particular is Comeback of The Damned, which I think is a NAL / Checkered Ink production.

M

Misu

I updated my post in the Games Topic. I got most of my twitch recordings linked up on that post so you can all follow what Ive been doing for the jam. I even got an artwork to represent the game. I got to do one more live stream later before calling Day 1 an end. Tomorrow will be a big day for me. :)

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I got a finished(ish) version of my game all polished up and ready to play... 17-ish hours well spent~
https://yaru.itch.io/ghostris

It's buggy, and unbalanced both gameplaywise and audiowise, but I've been stuck playing it for like 30 minutes so I guess I can believe in the core concept (a tetris game that actively fights against you) even though it's the most stupid thing I've ever completed :p

I think it's great that the theme is 'Supernatural'. As someone who has watched all 15 seasons of the adventures of the Winchester brothers I believe there is a lot of potential there, so kudos to whoever decided this tv show should be the focus for this game jam.

I'm thinking a side scrolling survival horror game, where you play as Sam or Dean and they have different abilities, like: Dean can actually emote properly and Sam has the capability to gurn in a facsimile of being a better actor. You rummage around the environment to find rock salt for ghosts, or silver jewellery / cutlery that you can melt down into bullets for killing werewolves. Smash up chairs / tables and sharpen the wood to make stakes for killing vampires. Draw spells using the mouse in a manner that may, or may not, be totally cribbed from Arkane Studios "Arx Fatalis"

This game jam topic is a really good one ;)

Relic

I almost did the same type of game, not within the universe of the show, but in the “detective ghostbusters” approach.

But the variety of assets and game mechanics too big for me in a Jam

ghandpivot

Working with @The M on my first collab. A lot of doors open up on creativity when splitting the workload in half.
A bunch of interesting projects are popping up so far, keep it up! Now to hit the bed after 12+ hours of drawing stuff.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I hope you kids like Creative Commons swing music, 'cause composing is not my forte. No pun intended.
Did you just make a piano joke? :p

*bragging intensifies*

I did some rebalancing stuff, hopefully my game should be actually playable now x3 Made all the blocks that cover half the screen more rare (since those basically always mess you up, especially if you get multiple of them in a row)... now they're on a timer so you've got some normal blocks to work with between every "oh shiiiiiiiiii-" moment. And you can save a block for later, which means you can avoid having to deal with one (1) of the big blocks... or do that thing where you save a 4x1 block until later for a guaranteed Tetris. Except the whole "blocks move around all the time" thing kinda breaks any and all ability to plan ahead in Ghostris x3

Status
Not open for further replies.