• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

New: General Questions

S

Strategy31

Hey guys,

i am totaly new here... I am looking for a tool, where i can create
a 4X Strategy game, that can be played online.

It shell be a relative basic game, nothing to complex. I have some basic programming skills.

I also like to include cards, that could be shuffled, moved, ideally interact with stats.

I do have a card maker, then wanting to upload their image and use them.

Is GameMaker a suitable tool for my intention?

thx

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
This kind of question is a tough one to answer, because (at the end of the day) it really all comes down to YOU and your ability to make the game in whatever engine you choose.... Certainly GameMaker is more than capable of making the game you describe, though. :)

S

Strategy31

Okay. Maybe you can clearify, wheater or not a project like mine would require:
minimal
average
or intense programming?

Is there a online playing tool included or does it need to be programmed? Is there drag and drop stuff? Are their easy ways to insert cards and move them around or does such things needs to be programmed by hand?

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Strategy31

After whatching some tutorials, i guess the main question would be:
Can a 4X game can be created by GameMaker2 using only drag & drop? For 4+ player over the internet or lan.

Does not need to have AI, only human player moving stuff around. counters, cards etc.?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Can a 4X game can be created by GameMaker2 using only drag & drop? For 4+ player over the internet or lan.
Again, the answer is... it depends! How good a coder are you? :)

Using DnD it would be tough but not impossible although you'll be using the "Function Call" action all the time for the networking stuff, so you'd be better using GML... I would say that if you've never made games before, then making a 4x game would be a tough challenge, and making it online/lan would be even tougher (and even for experienced programmers it would require a lot of work). In general if you have no experience programming you want to start with smaller projects and work your way up.

S

Strategy31

ok. thx. i thing i have the clearity to use another tool and downgrade my project :)

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
ok. thx. i thing i have the clearity to use another tool and downgrade my project :)
You will have the same issue regardless of the tool you use. The kind of game you want to make is not easy to make and you will need to learn the programming basics before doing something like it in every engine out there...

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I remember @FrostyCat doing a card game once and sharing their experiences, the most important point was decide how every rule works before you start coding - it's easy for a human to handle a special case in a certain way when you make up a new rule, but it can be incredibly hard to change the game engine to handle every edge case properly, especially when you have unexpected combinations.

I mean, just look at what kind of questions people ask at RPG StackExchange all the time. I wasn't even trying, but I could find FOUR questions on the same page that discuss weird interactions between different rules in RPGs meant to be played by humans instead of computers. If you don't think carefully about how your card game's rules work, you will have to answer hundreds of questions like this... all by yourself... in your source code.
upload_2019-11-14_0-2-32.png

S

Strategy31

You will have the same issue regardless of the tool you use. The kind of game you want to make is not easy to make and you will need to learn the programming basics before doing something like it in every engine out there...
I do have some basic programming skills, yet i search for the quickest way to do it. and currently i am looking at another program without programm neseccity. It allows to move stuff around (pictures/cards). I do not need an AI or animations or something. It will basicly be a multiplayer board game, where the rules are in a rulebook, for human player only to read. Not as PC 4X games that are currently on the maked.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I do have some basic programming skills, yet i search for the quickest way to do it. and currently i am looking at another program without programm neseccity. It allows to move stuff around (pictures/cards). I do not need an AI or animations or something. It will basicly be a multiplayer board game, where the rules are in a rulebook, for human player only to read. Not as PC 4X games that are currently on the maked.
If your intention is to just move the stuff around visually like in Tabletop Simulator and have humans enforce the rules, I would suggest that you take the traditional board game publishing route instead of trying to make it online in digital form. Few would bother with a digital card game where the rules aren't enforced for them, and nobody would pay for something that incomplete.

And yes, I was the original author of Dexterity TCG over a decade ago. I'll tell you right now from personal experience that if not having to program nor think is your goal, the digital card game genre isn't for you. You have to think of every mechanic and have them in the engine first. With the exception of minimalist cards designed to test out the mechanics as you implement them, the cards that ship with the final release actually come last. This is not a job for people who have no sense of delayed gratification.

S

Strategy31

thx for your feedback.

The goal is however to play (mainly) with friends, since i moved 3 times, they are distributed accross germany, so it needs to be digital. I did play TCG/CCG cards with them, when we where in the same city 10 years ago.