Discussion How long would it take to read the entier forum?

What the title says.

I'm curious on how long it would take to absorb a community's worth of knowledge.

ps: I'm including all topics except tech support and the legacy forums, but it would be nice to get a guess on how long it would take to read legacy forum :)

Jabbers

There are presently 393,362 posts on this forum alone according to the front page. If you assume that each message is about 50 words on average (which is I suspect is well below what it actually is) and that we read on average 250 wpm, then it will take you around 50 days of non-stop reading with no breaks or sleep, and that doesn't account for new content. In reality it would take much longer.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
...a community's worth of knowledge.
I'm sure there's a snarky joke in there somewhere. ;)

The knowledge held by this community isn't necessarily reflected in every forum post. Much (perhaps most) advice here is useful. But some posts contain solutions that are less than optimal. And in some cases, downright incorrect.

This isn't meant as a criticism of the GMC. It's the nature of any public forum whose members range from novice to expert.

You're better off reading the specific topics you need, and spend your remaining time reading the manual.

Roa

If you assume that each message is about 50 words on average (which is I suspect is well below what it actually is)
I see you have never asked someone to post code or been in one the flame bait pol conversations. Some people on here (me) write their whole life story and why the world is burning tomorrow. 💩💩💩💩 could be compiled into an epic.

I'm sure there's a snarky joke in there somewhere. ;)
No, I'm not joking :), I've found a lot of neat stuff buried in the threads.

then it will take you around 50 days of non-stop reading with no breaks or sleep, and that doesn't account for new content. In reality it would take much longer.
Looks like I'll settle on just skimming over the threads that look interesting :).

TheouAegis

The legacy forums have a lot of useful information, even in spite of many of the threads being irrelevant to GMS2, because much of the old forum was about learning how to code rather than how to use YouTube. So the Legacy forums should be included.

Also, even if you figure 50 words per post on average, you need to factor in the number of nonsensical, foreign, broken English, and just plain poorly written posts you'd need to re-read just to wrap your head around what was being said. It's not really reading if you don't comprehend it. So I'd guess more like 4 months.

Then again, you'd be reading the same thing over and over, so your mind would comprehend what you read but still gloss over most of it -- so maybe you could cover it all in 35 days with no breaks. ...I didn't use any math, I just tossed out a random number less than 50. :p

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
The knowledge held by this community isn't necessarily reflected in every forum post. Much (perhaps most) advice here is useful. But some posts contain solutions that are less than optimal. And in some cases, downright incorrect.
Not to mention the sheer quantity of redundant information you'll probably find. And then we have the enormity of threads similar to this one you'll have to read. Lol.