Windows [SOLVED]I need reliable screen recording app

Would someone please recommend a very easy-to-use, reliable screen recording app for me to use on my windows machine. I don't mind spending 20 dollars or so on something good.
thx

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I've used an obscure app called VirtualDub to record trailer footage... it's very obscure and doesn't have a lot of features (especially no EDITING features, but Windows 10 has a movie maker app again these days) but it's very lightweight and open source.

Tsa05

https://obsproject.com/

Can record your computer screen, or apps, or games, or webcam, or all at once and package them into 1 picture, plus computer audio and microphone. Can broadcast the whole package and/or record to your compy. Totally free, powers most of what you see on Twitch.

Edit: Also, Yal--I thought I was alone in the world..... :O (But I mostly use vdub just for exporting stills or quickly overlaying timecode these days, and occasionally separating audio/video.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
If you're on windows 10... then pressing the windows key + G should open the built in recorder. This is extremely good. You can even up the recording FPS to 60 if you have a big enough machine/graphics card.

Thank you Mike, Tsa05, and Yal! I was spending all day downloading weird apps that were going after me with commercials and the software was janky. My daily driver Mac is accompanied by a bad monitor, so I had to turn to my razor beast. But I'm no beast when workin with windows.
I had trouble grasping how to work the built-in windows recorder for full-screen.

I've used an obscure app called VirtualDub to record trailer footage... it's very obscure and doesn't have a lot of features (especially no EDITING features, but Windows 10 has a movie maker app again these days) but it's very lightweight and open source.
Yal, it would help greatly if the next time you recommend an app that you include a safe link to a "reliable" download. I accidentally downloaded at a bad site and got viruses, trojan.
https://obsproject.com/

Can record your computer screen, or apps, or games, or webcam, or all at once and package them into 1 picture, plus computer audio and microphone. Can broadcast the whole package and/or record to your compy. Totally free, powers most of what you see on Twitch.

Edit: Also, Yal--I thought I was alone in the world..... :O (But I mostly use vdub just for exporting stills or quickly overlaying timecode these days, and occasionally separating audio/video.
Tsa05. This app is not "easy-to-use" ā€”at all.

Last edited:
The day that you got several options for totally free, powerful software that is relatively intuitive and has illustrated instructions is a bad, bad day?
I don't want to see what happens when something goes wrong.

https://obsproject.com/wiki/OBS-Studio-Quickstart

Spend 5 minutes. Your entire life, not just your day, will improve.
Your remarks are incoherent. The bad day comment comes from looking at my very expensive razor seized up. When you find something as user-friendly as QuickTime, get back to me.

Tsa05

You want a program just like a Mac program, but you're not on a Mac.
I can't apologize for your improperly adjusted expectations, nor for the lack of Mac-like programs on not-Mac OS. Neither are my fault.

You neglected to mention your seizing razor, and instead capped a long list of complaint posts with "This is a bad bad day." Incoherence is a good word. You've received quite a bit of useful advice and acted very unsatisfied without mentioning anywhere in your OP that you were unwilling to learn software that's unlike a Mac product, without mentioning which Mac products you already knew, without mentioning your level of technical familiarity with screen recording. I suggested you read the illustrated guides accompanying these 3 very good suggestions. We clearly disagree on the idea of coherence.

https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/how-to-record-your-screen
Scroll down this page to see instructions for Mike's suggestion, my suggestion, and several other programs that have easy record buttons--perhaps one of these will be "Mac" enough.

You want a program just like a Mac program, but you're not on a Mac.
I can't apologize for your improperly adjusted expectations, nor for the lack of Mac-like programs on not-Mac OS. Neither are my fault.

You neglected to mention your seizing razor, and instead capped a long list of complaint posts with "This is a bad bad day." Incoherence is a good word. You've received quite a bit of useful advice and acted very unsatisfied without mentioning anywhere in your OP that you were unwilling to learn software that's unlike a Mac product, without mentioning which Mac products you already knew, without mentioning your level of technical familiarity with screen recording. I suggested you read the illustrated guides accompanying these 3 very good suggestions. We clearly disagree on the idea of coherence.

https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/how-to-record-your-screen
Scroll down this page to see instructions for Mike's suggestion, my suggestion, and several other programs that have easy record buttons--perhaps one of these will be "Mac" enough.
What I should have said at first is that I need a screen recording app that a 10-year-old could use. I'm sorry for the petulance, truly. I'm gonna look at this newest link you gave as soon as I fix my laptop.

Last edited:

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Next time, scan free programs you've downloaded from the internet with an antivirus program BEFORE running them. I gave you a Wikipedia link just because I didn't want to accept responsibility for figuring out which download was geniune, thinking you were up to the task of basic online security measures.

If it's any help, this is the SHA256 and file sizes of my installation. If all the stuff in the top folder is the same on your end, you've probably got a geniune copy and your AV is giving you false positives. (Or the trojan was in one of the other random programs you downloaded earlier, without taking proper precautions)
upload_2019-10-21_23-0-26.png

Next time, scan free programs you've downloaded from the internet with an antivirus program BEFORE running them. I gave you a Wikipedia link just because I didn't want to accept responsibility for figuring out which download was geniune, thinking you were up to the task of basic online security measures.

If it's any help, this is the SHA256 and file sizes of my installation. If all the stuff in the top folder is the same on your end, you've probably got a geniune copy and your AV is giving you false positives. (Or the trojan was in one of the other random programs you downloaded earlier, without taking proper precautions)
View attachment 27142
My device was clean prior to the bad download, and my security is up-to-date.
I'm not holding you responsible. It's always helpful to offer a safe links for lesser-known, obscure software.

Last edited:

rIKmAN

Iā€™m not sure what you are struggling with when using OBS?

You can install it, set the target as the game window, set your video/sound options and be recording within 2mins - it really doesnā€™t get much easier than that.

Iā€™m not sure what you are struggling with when using OBS?

You can install it, set the target as the game window, set your video/sound options and be recording within 2mins - it really doesnā€™t get much easier than that.
There's way more techie stuff in it than I would want to study and test ā€”not easy for me. I had trouble downloading.

Last edited:

rIKmAN

If you're struggling with the installer, download the zip file and run "obs64.exe" from the "bin/64bit" folder.

If you're struggling with the installer, download the zip file and run "obs64.exe" from the "bin/64bit" folder.
I've been spoiled with Mac for too long. This stuff is over my head.
I should note that I'm not a programmer. I design games in GMS2 IDE and subcontract out programming.

Last edited:
You should try Camtasia from TechSmith perhaps. It's for Windows and Mac, so should be hopefully within your ease of use requirements.

It's outside your budget range, but there is a free trial so you can decide if it's worth it.

You should try Camtasia from TechSmith perhaps. It's for Windows and Mac, so should be hopefully within your ease of use requirements.

It's outside your budget range, but there is a free trial so you can decide if it's worth it.
UPDATE:
I tried "Screen Recorder Movavi" for MacOS and it worked really well, but my monitor is not good enough. I went back to the razor and downloaded the trial version of Camtasia. It seems like a solid program, but I had trouble grasping it. I bought an app called screenbits and I was able to do a good job with it.

Last edited:

Toque

Iā€™m a Mac guy. I had a hard time working out the screen recording on a pc to do some jam videos. I sort of get what your saying. It just takes a bit of getting used a new software thatā€™s all.

Iā€™m a Mac guy. I had a hard time working out the screen recording on a pc to do some jam videos. I sort of get what your saying. It just takes a bit of getting used a new software thatā€™s all.
I have a tougher time with tech than most people. Hopefully this will improve.

Last edited:
M

marsbarnigiri

I use screentogif and it serves me well for capturing what I want either as video or gif.

Y

YuliaM

I just want to share a piece of easyware for Windows whose name is Recmaster. It costs within 20 dollars at ordinary time and luckily I get its free one year licence from giveawayoftheday months ago... Hope this feedback doesn't come late.

D

Deleted member 13992

Yal, it would help greatly if the next time you recommend an app that you include a safe link to a "reliable" download. I accidentally downloaded at a bad site and got viruses, trojan.
What's unreliable about github? It's a standard outlet for open source software. If you don't know how to use github, I would recommend learning about it if you're interested in software/game development. It can be extremely useful.

I use virtualdub too, it's good (though I haven't used it for screen capture).

I use OBS for capture, it's excellent. It's not hard to learn if you're willing to spend 30 minutes learning it. Sure it's a little technical, but game development is 100x more technical than OBS. So I don't think it should be a problem for anyone on this forum. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
What's unreliable about github? It's a standard outlet for open source software. If you don't know how to use github, I would recommend learning about it if you're interested in software/game development. It can be extremely useful.

I use virtualdub too, it's good (though I haven't used it for screen capture).

I use OBS for capture, it's excellent. It's not hard to learn if you're willing to spend 30 minutes learning it. Sure it's a little technical, but game development is 100x more technical than OBS. So I don't think it should be a problem for anyone on this forum. :)
I didn't say that Github wasn't reliable. I was referring to the link given for a bad download ā€”ancient history though. :)

Last edited: