• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion [Feature Request] Add a Comment Drag and Drop Action

O

Owen Morgan

First I need to say the Drag and Drop system in GameMaker 2 is GREATLY improved over 1.4. While I miss a few Drag and Drop Actions from 1.4 the most frustrating exclusion is the Comment Block.

Having the ability to add comments within the new DnD system would be of great benefit to new users of GameMaker as well as to all levels of instructors teaching beginning game design to their students.

I know that a code block can be added and a comment could be added to it, but this is a clunky alternative to a clean DnD Action. I would rather something like the following image:

GameMaker_DnD_Comment_Action_Concept.png

Thank you for your consideration.

Thanks Owen for that bug submission. This will certainly be helpful for my students too when the school crosses over to GMS2.
Students found these comments very helpful in earlier versions during revisions.

A

adee

Is this still the only way to add comments in drag and drop? No better way yet? If not, is the block mentioned above a block called 'execute code' , a red color block? I'm looking for a better way for my students to add comments because they HAVE to comment out their code to gain a pass.

I

iKiwed

As far as I know the best way to add a comment using DnD is actually using the "Execute Code" tile and do it like in coding.
But you're idea is actually good.

(It's 2018 and we don't have it yet.)

T

TyMy

Just moved over from Gamemaker 1.4 and I could really use this for organization.

Please consider prioritizing adding this feature for DnD users.

P

PidgeyKabuto

Release notes for 2.2.3.436 says this has been added.

Although I do not see a way to do so. Can an admin chime in on how to add comments in DnD? Tx!