Any videos dedicated to fully understanding/teaching of GML code?

L

LiamCollie

I am looking into doing platformers and mostly RPGs.
And I am having trouble understanding code. Since I am new to it and all and have no background experience in it.

I'm looking for a video series that does in depth explanation on how to code.
Basically all the basics to help get you started.

I'm aware of a few videos from Yoyo's site. But I was curious if there is anything else like those that could be a big help. I'm also away of the in-game help for code. But I dont know any basics of writing and what to start off of.

Any help and recommendations are highly appreciated! Thank you! ^^

rIKmAN

I am looking into doing platformers and mostly RPGs.
And I am having trouble understanding code. Since I am new to it and all and have no background experience in it.

I'm looking for a video series that does in depth explanation on how to code.
Basically all the basics to help get you started.

I'm aware of a few videos from Yoyo's site. But I was curious if there is anything else like those that could be a big help. I'm also away of the in-game help for code. But I dont know any basics of writing and what to start off of.

Any help and recommendations are highly appreciated! Thank you! ^^
Complete Platformer Tutorial Series by Shaun Spalding
Farming RPG Tutorial Series by FriendlyCosmonaut

However if you are new to GMS2 I would recommend spending to some time to learn the basics first (variables, scope, loops, data structures etc) before trying to follow along with the tutorials as they require some basic knowledge of GML (unless you blindly copy+paste which is a no-no as you don't learn anything doing that).

Try following through with the YYG Tutorials to get a grip on how GMS2 works, the way the game loop works, what each event does and and how a basic project is structured, as well as learning some GML functions to get player input, move things around, draw to the screen etc.

Don't try and run before you can walk, you'll end up falling over! :)

Last edited:
L

LiamCollie

I'm very new to GMS2. Any good sources for basics? I found one just now off the Yoyo site called Getting Started. But it covers Objects, Loop abd Switch.

I did try the copy+paste type method and it hasnt helped at all lol So I completely agree with you there.

I'll save those two series and totally watch em, thank you!

rIKmAN

I'm very new to GMS2. Any good sources for basics? I found one just now off the Yoyo site called Getting Started. But it covers Objects, Loop abd Switch.

I did try the copy+paste type method and it hasnt helped at all lol So I completely agree with you there.

I'll save those two series and totally watch em, thank you!
Have a look through the Official YYG Tutorials, some of them cover aspects of using GMS2 itself (Object Editor, Sprite Editor, Room Editor etc) and once you are a bit more familiar with navigating yourself around the IDE, then look at the tutorial projects which take you through the process of making a basic game (Space Rocks, Arena Shooter and Breakthrough).

If you want to learn code make sure to use the "Code" tutorials and not the "DnD" ones.

https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/category/70/tutorials

I believe the tutorials at that link can also be found on the Start Page of the IDE when you open it up too.