Demo Rose of Starcross RPG (On Kickstarter! - FUNDING MET)

P

Peyton Burnham

Kickstarter launch trailer here!

Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roseofstarcross/rose-of-starcross?ref=user_menu
There's some early backer stuff too so check it out!

This is Rose of Starcross! Originally titled Behind the Rose! It's a turn-based RPG mostly similar to the Mario RPG stuff but has a lot of different things jammed into it.

Download the DEMO (itch.io page): https://peytonburnham.itch.io/rose-of-starcross-demo

The Kickstarter is LIVE! PLEASE check it out, share it around, follow my twitter, tell your favorite streamers/let's players about it and help me out! There's also a discord you can join which I would SUPER appreciate! It's going to be a lot of work to finish and any support I can get would be so appreciated. Also, I'm a million times more attentive to the discord than this forum since I can just keep it open, so if you have any thoughts, questions, or just want to discuss anything about the game, I'll be there!

**UPDATE** The funding goal has been met!! The campaign is still going on until March 6th so please consider helping me hit those stretch goals!

Thank you:

Discord: https://discord.gg/tFd6RVF
My twitter: https://twitter.com/peydinburnham

The Youtube channel has the whole soundtrack for the demo! If you need to be sold on the music beforehand, here's the boss theme (but if you'd like to play the demo, don't spoil yourself!):

PLEASE do yourself a favor and use a 360 controller or a PS4 controller+DS4 or something! All of the face buttons and the triggers are used as well as 360 degree analogue control! Keyboard controls are shown in the startup and you can change the display from controller icons to keyboard icons if you don't have a controller!

Thanks so much for checking it out!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yrbiax

Hey, i tried your game.

Character were funny, but perhaps there was little bit too much dialog for my taste. :D
Sadly there seemed to be some bugs that prevented me from going forward.

rose1.png
I got to this first fight, and at first i didnt react to those lines that i had to attack. Suddenly i got transferred into purple empty room, so i had to restart.
rose2.png
Then i made it to this fight. but once i got to this point i couldnt do anything (tried pressing every button) and just slowly died.
I played with keyboard so maybe its some input problem.

Last edited:
P

Peyton Burnham

Hey, i tried your game.

Character were funny, but perhaps there was little bit too much dialog for my taste. :D
Sadly there seemed to be some bugs that prevented me from going forward.

View attachment 26842
I got to this first fight, and at first i didnt react to those lines that i had to attack. Suddenly i got transferred into purple empty room, so i had to restart.
View attachment 26843
Then i made it to this fight. but once i got to this point i couldnt do anything (tried pressing every button) and just slowly died.
I played with keyboard so maybe its some input problem.
Thanks for letting me know about these issues! I think there was some dumb line i forgot to take out that set the players HP to 0 if you pressed space for testing purposes so that was totally my fault for accidentally not removing that (which probably caused both issues you mentioned, the first in particular being your HP depleted before the game had a respawn point so it sent you to that empty room). That being said, were you pressing the spacebar or the 'S' key? Regardless I'm updating the link to the newest version of the game which should have all of that weird stuff out if you're still interested in playing!

And as for the dialogue, I definitely agree there is a lot upfront, that's mostly so when replaying the game it's easily skipped and it doesn't have that 2 hour JRPG story intro that a lot of games have. From where you left off there is far less dialogue and far more game, I promise!

And as for the second part where nothing was happening you actually have to hold left and press 'S' at the same time, it makes a bit more sense on controller but just remember that WASD are used in place of the face buttons on a controller!

E

Earth Traveler

I tried out at least part of the game (a bit past the TV rest area), and it was pretty good! It's well-drawn, and the dialogues are well-written and funny. I detected a strong Undertale influence in some of the dialogue and the overall aesthetic as well as the main attack sequence, and I think that's for the better so far. The combat's certainly engaging and challenging with having to time those blocks. The Undead gave me a heck of a time (which I'm hoping is because I was tired and not just because I'm bad). The platforming sequences felt a little out of place, but weren't too challenging. There was one thing with the combat, I don't know if I was just fatfingering keys or not getting the system or what, but sometimes it seemed like the fairy attack came from a completely different direction from the key I pressed.

Overall, again, I thought the game was very good!

There is one design thing, though, regarding the control scheme. I get that you have it set up to be optimized on a controller, but I would imagine a lot of people (like myself) don't have PC-compatible controllers and/or would rather not connect one just to play one game, so is there a specific reason you set the game up to be controller-based? And would it be possible to change the keyboard controls to a more familiar setup without messing things up? Just curious.

P

Peyton Burnham

I tried out at least part of the game (a bit past the TV rest area), and it was pretty good! It's well-drawn, and the dialogues are well-written and funny. I detected a strong Undertale influence in some of the dialogue and the overall aesthetic as well as the main attack sequence, and I think that's for the better so far. The combat's certainly engaging and challenging with having to time those blocks. The Undead gave me a heck of a time (which I'm hoping is because I was tired and not just because I'm bad). The platforming sequences felt a little out of place, but weren't too challenging. There was one thing with the combat, I don't know if I was just fatfingering keys or not getting the system or what, but sometimes it seemed like the fairy attack came from a completely different direction from the key I pressed.

Overall, again, I thought the game was very good!

There is one design thing, though, regarding the control scheme. I get that you have it set up to be optimized on a controller, but I would imagine a lot of people (like myself) don't have PC-compatible controllers and/or would rather not connect one just to play one game, so is there a specific reason you set the game up to be controller-based? And would it be possible to change the keyboard controls to a more familiar setup without messing things up? Just curious.
Thanks so much! I would definitely say the most awkward thing with the keyboard controls is certainly controlling the directional spirit attack so that completely checks out that you might have issues with it!

The game is basically set up to use a SNES controller and all of those buttons are used in the game so unfortunately it will require at least 12 keys regardless and this keyboard configuration is the one I figure makes the most sense in translating a SNES controller. The main reason the game uses that many buttons is because there are a lot of actions you can do, but also it's to make sure that later on in the game, the mini games can get more interesting with different buttons. When I release the final version of the game down the line I'm hoping to put it on consoles so obviously there the keyboard wouldn't be an issue. BUT regardless you'd definitely be right in saying the keyboard controls suck, because they do for sure. And I'm definitely going to keep working on figuring out how I can improve them! But as it is right now, I have to give the terrible answer of saying that the game really is just, at it's core, designed to be played with a gamepad :/

Like I said though I certainly recognize this as an issue and I'm going to do my best to work it out! If you had any thoughts about maybe certain keys making more sense let me know! Thanks so much for your feedback!

P

Peyton Burnham

Added links to the Discord I recently made and the soundtrack on youtube! Please check those out it would really help me out!

Also the game has been updated a couple times to fix/tweak some things inclusing added difficulty settings and an added "DEMO" mode that cuts down the intro and changes the level design a bit. It's a good bit more polished now vs when I first posted it!

P

Peyton Burnham

I really like the combat style, you can definitely see the Mario RPG influences which I wish more people adapted for their games. Are you writing the music yourself as well?
Yep! Everything is 100% me! Which is why I need to get some OTHER people to actually see it!

P

Peyton Burnham

Dropping back in with another little teaser! It's a much different speed than the first one, please check it out!

Kickstarter date of Feb 4 is still 100% on track too! The demo has been updated multiple times now with more content, fixes, and polish too. There will be a new update before or with the pre-launch Kickstarter page that adds a few good touches and items and stuff!

Please don't forget to check out the Discord and my twitter (both linked in the main post)! Thanks!

P

Peyton Burnham

Last teaser before the Kickstarter Launches in one week from today! There's also been a recent big update to the demo with some extra items, minor cutscenes, a new move, and a couple new challenges!

Celestial Fireworks:

P

Peyton Burnham

Just posted the link and new launch trailer for the Kickstarter! I could really use any support I can get so check it out please! (There's also early backer stuff!)

Morendral

Nice project! It is definitely giving Mario RPG vibes and i get some nostalgia feelings from it. The pixel art is also very crisp, so kuddos on that.

D

dalebreton

I like that the heroes in this game are nice and funny. They don't scare me and do not cause aggression. Frankly speaking, despite the resemblance to the Mario game I like that this version is for girls, so pink and cool! You can also try not to attract attention to the auditory on such platforms like this https://themoneymix.com. Indeed, it's something similar to crowdfunding, but with the more reliable party protection and long-term cooperation. A good push for further development and advancement. Success!