• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Mech TBRPG Pre-Alpha

OnLashoc

*CHANGE TITLE TO Pre-Alpha*

So as I've made all these different systems and began development on multiple projects, Im finally pulling all of these things together and started working on this about 2 weeks ago.

Right now it is unnamed, but it progressing rather well and wanted to share. It helps having already developed these systems, but I have improved them and made the coding more efficient. Now mind you I only started learning coding in Jan. 2018 so I still have much to learn.

Anyways, this will be a singleplayer turn based roleplaying game set in the far distant future. It is similar to say Battletech but a completely different universe. Have a look :)

Onnie

Last edited:

HighlandCoo

Hi,

I love mech games so Im going to comment on this :)

From your post, and your video , I still dont understand what your game is about? You say it is a TBRPG (Turn based Role Playing Game?) but then your video is a first person view showing various effects.

- Who am I in the game?
- What do I do in your game?
- How can I win/lose in your game?

Phew that was very negative wasnt it? On the good side though, I really like the "kids drawing" cartoon-style of your Art. Its very eye catching and there are not many games out their with a similar style.

Good Luck!

OnLashoc

Thank you!

Hi,

I love mech games so Im going to comment on this :)
Me too! I played MechCommander from 97 to 2001 and then jumped to MechWarrior 4 and played until 2012 before jumping to MechWarrior Online from 2012 to about 2016 ish.

From your post, and your video , I still dont understand what your game is about? You say it is a TBRPG (Turn based Role Playing Game?) but then your video is a first person view showing various effects.

- Who am I in the game?
- What do I do in your game?
- How can I win/lose in your game?
Because there are a few very established Mecha-games out there with well documented and known trade / copy disputes *coughHarmonycough* I have to be careful of what details I give and how close anything can be considered infringement. It is a completely different galaxy and background from the others. I could have posted the intro, menu's, weapons, trade items, planets, lore work I've done but they are not complete and ready for consumption.

But I will answer the questions.

A. You are a freelance mech pilot (insert lore here on how and why you've went down this path, I have a choice system setup so depending on the choices you've made affect your background and some stats you have and how the rest of the world interacts with you. See my project here in this forum "The Dankest Odyssey". As I said I am pulling my goodies from all my projects.)

B. In the game depending on your path (determined by the choices you made) you either become a soldier fighting the pirate and mercenary scum in fold (an area think like Escape from New York), a mercenary weaving in and out of the fold collecting bounties, a pirate raiding military and civilian towns / installations alike, or a pirate, the scum of the universe. Now there is a lot I could elaborate on, but again not everything is fully fleshed out i.e. - still writing the missions and rewards, developing the enemy mechs, developing more planets, etc. Sounds like a lot, but I've already done a lot of this in the project "Fight-4-Flight" which stopped dead in it's tracks due to not knowing how to code in multiplayer at the time of development almost a year in.

C. Winning is up to what you consider winning. You can follow the main story arc, or you can just continue raiding, exploring, trading (yes I have a complete trade & inventory system), fighting in arena fights, etc. Of course losing would be dying lol.

Phew that was very negative wasnt it? On the good side though, I really like the "kids drawing" cartoon-style of your Art. Its very eye catching and there are not many games out their with a similar style.

Good Luck!
The artwork, is all my own and my style. If you look at every project I've done / worked on / talked about / shown, the artwork is pretty close. Now most of what you see will be improved further and I'm adding different effects and just getting better 2% every day better is the goal. I will add more later if there is interest, but it just seems like the more you share, the less feedback I've gotten in return in the past. Again some details I have to be careful because I am wanted to ensure I do not tread on space already occupied with copyrights etc., and I can assure my orbit is niche enough to distinguish from the others that are more established and better financially prepared to litigate me out of existence.

Onnie

OnLashoc

Oh and yes the elements appear not turn based. Right now everything is set to key presses, later they will be set to either point and click or to menu selection as each battle will be like its own comic book cut scene. :)

OnLashoc

Is the player standing behind the pilot's chair?
The player is invisible right now as I am working on the initial outfit. When you enter the cockpit from above (that's when the seat goes up) your character will climb down into the chair and the chair lower's into position with your character in the seat. :)

As I explained to my coworker friend, before your turn you have all of your stats i.e. - health, accuracy, constitution, etc., the mech and it's stats i.e. - energy, heat allowance, jump jet capability, weapons, special weapons, etc., and the scenario which may put you at a disadvantage or advantage on the enemy and will affect the previously stated stats / capabilities.

You then have turn points and actions you can commit to when you end your turn. The AI will make it's selections / actions and commit and then those actions will play out in front of you with some added RNG event's and will be displayed on the log box the results of that turn.

Damage will then be indicated on the screen (all of those items i.e. - monitors, windshield, controls, etc. will have damage states i.e. - sparks, smoke, cracks, etc.) and your next turn will commence.

Once this all plays out, you will then have the ability to return to your ship, or continue your mission / reason for being on said planet. Once on your ship, you can use the trade market to order parts, make purchase orders, repair your mech, repair salvage items from combat, sell items, accept and complete missions, or just leave to go to another system or stay and continue your exploration.

Onnie

Last edited:

OnLashoc

Put in some work over the weekend and tonight adding the following:

-Pilot *temporary until I spend time on the actual pilot graphics* Palceholder to indicate perspective (for the person with the previous question about pilot position)
-Mech Paperdoll
-Paperdoll damage states
-Mech and Player Statuses
-Sparks and Smoke
-Flashing Critical Damage indicator

Onnie

OnLashoc

-Removed log box particle stream (did not like the result with it)
-Added Left hand (throttle)
-Added Right hand (stick)
-Added throttle and stick positions with hands
-Added hands / removing hands when entering and exiting ocockpit
-Added heat values for basic laser and machine guns
-Added heating up animation

Going to working on moving my turn based system over from my test project and working on the enemy this weekend, gonna start looking like a real game soon :D

Onnie

OnLashoc

-Added Heat Cap & Weapon Lock-out if Overheated
-Added Heat Warning
-Added Damage / Low Armor Warning
-Added Planet Name, Type, Temp, Gravity, Faction Control,
-Added Elevation Indicator
-Added Torso Direction Indicator
-Added but unseen in video target under reticle, reticle no target, reticle lock on

Currently working on:
-Enemy Status
-Enemy Mech artwork
-Ammo Status Indicators