HTML5 Space Breakers

K12gamer

I like it a lot...Definitively needs some Space Invader inspired sounds.
Cool how the ship's shield shrinks when a ball bounced off it.
How about a way to initiate an attack...so there's no downtime waiting for a ship to
fire upon you (Example: Clicking on one of the ships)

Would like to play a 2nd version of this game...where the ball stayed on screen (bounced off the sides)...
You'd lose a life if the main ball got past you.
This secondary game could also have other classic game inspired breakout levels...examples:
Tetris, Galaga, Pacman etc...

Here's an old Breakout style game I made a long time ago...(Made with GM 8)

Hey that is a cool concept! Unfortunately the page doesn't load at work, will have to give it a shot once I get home.
Thank you. Fingers crossed that your employer blocked it because my web address contains the word "games" (opposed to a glitch in the matrix.)

Yep, agree with others. This is cool.
Thank youu. :cool:

I like it a lot...Definitively needs some Space Invader inspired sounds.
Cool how the ship's shield shrinks when a ball bounced off it.
How about a way to initiate an attack...so there's no downtime waiting for a ship to
fire upon you (Example: Clicking on one of the ships)
You make some really good points. Thank you for the thoughtful review.

How about a way to initiate an attack...so there's no downtime waiting for a ship to fire upon you (Example: Clicking on one of the ships
Did you notice that the UFO drops you power-ups? (The white one gives you missiles.) But even still - I agree. There's a bit too much "waiting around." Hindsight is always 20/30 but if I had it to do over again I'd add "stacking power-ups" and replace good old-fashioned RNG with an adaptive difficulty controller. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Would like to play a 2nd version of this game...where the ball stayed on screen (bounced off the sides)...
You'd lose a life if the main ball got past you.
I made a conscious decision to remove the bounding box because I feel that it doesn't make sense for a game set in space.

This secondary game could also have other classic game inspired breakout levels...examples:
Tetris, Galaga, Pacman etc...
I've been kicking around a second version with:
  1. Enemies that move in formation (similar to Galaga.)
  2. Asteroids which appear at random and pose a hazard to both teams.
I hadn't considered Tetris or Pac-Man... How would you work them in?

I'm going to send my Patreons two or three different proposals, and let them decide my "next project" on a bi-monthly basis - An enhanced version of Space Breakers is definitely going to be on the table for discussion, though. If you decide to become a sponsor you'll get a vote, early-access, and your name in the credits. https://patreon.com/silentxxbunny

PS: That game looks really fun. Thanks for showing it to me. :D

Last edited:

K12gamer

Your Galaga idea sounds good...
Super quick mock ups of what an Asteroid, Pacman and Tetris level could look like...

Asteroids: Survive a wave of asteroids that drop from the top / top sides of the screen (Weapon would maybe stay on / autofire to keep this level fair)
You'd die if your main ball got past you...or you got hit by an asteroid.

Pacman: Pacman himself would be a (rotating) ball that you hit with your paddle. All the blue walls would be breakable. Hit / gather all the
white dots to complete the level. Hit a ghost...and Pacman would get flung towards the ground at a fast speed...with his momentum slowly going back
to normal after a few paddle hits. Hit a power dot and you could eat the ghosts for a few seconds. To keep the level fair, Paman's enemies would
stay from the middle to the top of the screen.

Tetris: Survive a wave of dropping blocks (They'd drop no further than the center of the screen). Maybe a column would fall down 1 level if you hit
the block underneath it. You'd die if the ball got past you...or you allowed the bricks to stack to the top of the screen. Maybe even allow the player
to manipulate / move the dropping blocks with WASD or the Arrow Keys.

Note: Your game has inspired me to maybe try and make something like this...(Probably just the Pacman level because that would be easiest
for me.)

Last edited:
Your Galaga idea sounds good...
Super quick mock ups of what an Asteroid, Pacman and Tetris level could look like...

Asteroids: Survive a wave of asteroids that drop from the top / top sides of the screen (Weapon would maybe stay on / autofire to keep this level fair)
You'd die if your main ball got past you...or you got hit by an asteroid.

Pacman: Pacman himself would be a (rotating) ball that you hit with your paddle. All the blue walls would be breakable. Hit / gather all the
white dots to complete the level. Hit a ghost...and Pacman would get flung towards the ground at a fast speed...with his momentum slowly going back
to normal after a few paddle hits. Hit a power dot and you could eat the ghosts for a few seconds. To keep the level fair, Paman's enemies would
stay from the middle to the top of the screen.

Tetris: Survive a wave of dropping blocks (They'd drop no further than the center of the screen). Maybe a column would fall down 1 level if you hit
the block underneath it. You'd die if the ball got past you...or you allowed the bricks to stack to the top of the screen. Maybe even allow the player
to manipulate / move the dropping blocks with WASD or the Arrow Keys.

Note: Your game has inspired me to maybe try and make something like this...(Probably just the Pacman level because that would be easiest
for me.)
Cheers. Glad that I've inspired you to create something new. Those are some really creative ideas, and I look forward to seeing what you do with them. Keep me posted.

Hey that is a cool concept! Unfortunately the page doesn't load at work, will have to give it a shot once I get home.
Have you had a chance to try it at home?

Last edited:
My web-hosting bill is past-due and https://fiatgames.us could shut-down any moment... Before that happens: I challenge you to best my high score!​

No one's beaten my high-score (yet) but the (low) high-score went up 400 points yesterday. Pics or it didn't happen ... I'm GAZ by the way​

Last edited:
I found the best FREE place to put my HTML5 games is Game Jolt...

Sample: Click on the Picture...
Funny you should mention that... @Bearman_18 recommended GameJolt to me, as well. I've looked into it and I think that it's going to work swimmingly. I especially like the fact that I'm able to upload my own (HTML) portfolio website. Do you know if it's possible to upload a MySQL database to GameJolt (needed for the high-score table to function.) It's not a deal-breaker if I can't - but it would be literally perfect if I can.

PS: Apparently "no one" is leading the Space Breakers Championship...?

I was in diapers when video-arcades were popular... so it's been a new / fun / memorable experience checking the high-score table each day.

Thank you all for playing - and sharing this moment with me. <3 <3 <3

Attachments

All kneel before Dog!
@Desert Dog Dog just took the throne. No contest. :p

I'm curious: What level did you make it to? The fourth invasion?

Maybe none of my business, but why aren't you renewing the website?
I've been hosting it since 2014 at ~ $120 per year. The website alone has run me ~ $600 out of pocket... and hasn't generated even one cent of revenue. I'm in a very tough spot financially this year: It wouldn't make sense to renew it for another year (even if I could afford to do so.) There are other things I can't afford (car insurance, health insurance, etc.) which are higher priorities right now...

I think it was the fourth, although I can't quite remember. Probably for this kind of 'infinite' game, would be a good idea to save the level number alongside the score.
Fair enough. @Bearman_18 and I are discussing possibilities (an updated version and/or an Android app.) That's definitely something I'll keep in mind moving forward. Do you have any other comments or suggestions? I believe you're one of a small handful who have reached the "soft cap."

Here are my thoughts on the game, and how it could be improved:
  1. Increase the “missile power-up” from (7) to (7 * level.)
  2. Increase the game’s “speed” (a bit) at the beginning, and with each additional level.
  3. Increase the frequency of “bullet hell” (all ships firing) a bit.
  4. Display (visually) that the ship has LOW POWER and to CONSERVE SHIELDS.
  5. Make power regenerate faster when the ship is sitting still.
New Feature 1: Have enemies “zerg” the player (appear from the bottom of the screen, and move towards the top) if the player sits still for too long.​

New Feature 2: In level 3+ have asteroids move across the center of the screen, which the enemies will fire at to break them up. The debris is dangerous to both teams.​

PS: I'll make sure to send an early-access to everyone who participated in the World Championship (and this topic.) Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Fair enough. @Bearman_18 and I are discussing possibilities (an updated version and/or an Android app.) That's definitely something I'll keep in mind moving forward. Do you have any other comments or suggestions? I believe you're one of a small handful who have reached the "soft cap."
I'd say the main thing for me was the balance was off. Like you had all the ingredients, but hadn't quite mixed them together right. Kind of like you baked a cake for two people, one of them is gluten intolerant, and the other one is allergic to nuts, but your cake is not gluten free, and you've mixed nuts through it. It looks great, but it just isn't made for the person who has to eat it.

For me: I played the game at work on a quick break. From the game's dimensions, it's ideal for a phone, so alternatively, could be a good 'toilet break' game.I don't know about other players, but I suspect that what we want is a quick reward for actions done. At the moment, there is *way* too much waiting in the game. While I want to just 'do' something.. anything, I'm waiting for the enemy to shoot, so I can bounce it back. And I bounce it, I try to aim it so it'll hit the best spot, and bounce against multiple enemies, 95% of the time it hits an enemy, bounces off into space and I'm left waiting again. I actually feel a little bit punished.

So the reward for my actions is really, really small. In regular breakout, you bounce the ball, you aim it right and get it in along the side, or up around the back, the ball's bouncing around causing mayhem. Bricks are popping, and points are racking up.

So if you add more features, just have a quick think about balance, and adjusting the mix. I *really* think you need to add boundaries: Yes, it's in space. Just make them force fields or something. (Kind of like Shatter did)

I'd also allow the player to generate at least one ball/bullet on their own, just so they're never just left waiting. You don't need need to do anything crazy, just keep enough action happening on the screen so the players can make some decisions, and get some rewards for 'em.

It's actually a cool concept, I like originals being done in a new way. And there are a lot of small aesthetics you could add, which would be cool: E.g. if space ships require to get multi-shot, then when the first shot hits them, and doesn't kill them, they can kind of get pushed/bounce a little out of formation. That would be a pretty cool little reward for the player: Bounce the ball into the middle of the space fleet, it bounces through the middle of them, and they kind of bobble about as they adjust back to formation.

Keep playing on the space invader/galaga angle. Maybe have a 'boss' fight every 5 levels. (Or maybe you already have!)

Close but no sitar, eh?

Thank you for the honest feedback. I think that you've touched on two very important things. You're absolutely right: A big part of the fun in breakout is the "combos" and there aren't nearly enough of them in this game. I think that adding a bit more space between the ships, and tighter collision boxes will go a long way. Actually, it would widen the formation and (naturally) cause them to move/shoot at a faster pace. I'll sleep on your other suggestions and keep them in mind while designing the expansion. :)