• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows [SOLVED] Standalone exe and installer not showing when creating executable

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MilkyWay90

I have a game that I would like to release.

When I click on the "Build" option and click on "Create Executable", it opens a tab similar to Windows Explorer. When I attempt to change the output extension from a zip to an installer/a standalone, I discover that there are no options for an installer or a standalone.

May somebody help me with this?

rIKmAN

I have a game that I would like to release.

When I click on the "Build" option and click on "Create Executable", it opens a tab similar to Windows Explorer. When I attempt to change the output extension from a zip to an installer/a standalone, I discover that there are no options for an installer or a standalone.

May somebody help me with this?
Do you mean when you try to build that you don't get asked whether to build a .zip or an installer?
If so, go to File > Preferences > Platform Settings > Windows and change the dropdown to "Show Dialog", then hit Apply and OK.

This will then ask you each time you build your project.
Choosing "Create NSIS Installer" or "Create Zip Archive" will do that each time by default without asking you to choose when you build.

M

MilkyWay90

Do you mean when you try to build that you don't get asked whether to build a .zip or an installer?
If so, go to File > Preferences > Platform Settings > Windows and change the dropdown to "Show Dialog", then hit Apply and OK.

This will then ask you each time you build your project.
Choosing "Create NSIS Installer" or "Create Zip Archive" will do that each time by default without asking you to choose when you build.
This doesn't seem to have any effect.

M

MilkyWay90

Did you remember to click "Apply" then "OK" when you change the value in the dropdown box?
Do you have Windows set as the export target?
1. Yes
2. Yes (I assume you are talking about the build target)

rIKmAN

1. Yes
2. Yes (I assume you are talking about the build target)
Yeah, I was just making sure you weren't compiling to another platform as obviously the dialog wouldn't popup then no matter what the setting you chose in Preferences.

I notice you have marked this thread as solved, what was the issue in the end?

Last edited:
M

MilkyWay90

Yeah, that was by accident when I thought it was fixed.

rIKmAN

Yeah, that was by accident when I thought it was fixed.
So you are saying that you have changed the setting I mentioned above in Preferences to "Show Dialog", hit Apply and then OK to save the setting change but still no dialog is appearing when you try to build for the Windows target?

If so does changing it between zip / installer (and clicking Apply + OK) make any difference to what it attempts to output when building?

M

MilkyWay90

So you are saying that you have changed the setting I mentioned above in Preferences to "Show Dialog", hit Apply and then OK to save the setting change but still no dialog is appearing when you try to build for the Windows target?

If so does changing it between zip / installer (and clicking Apply + OK) make any difference to what it attempts to output when building?
It always outputs a .zip file.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Hey there! This topic has been closed and your account has been banned as it seems like you are not using a legitimate copy of GameMaker. If you believe that a mistake was made and this is not the case, please contact the YoYo Games helpdesk with your licence details (and a link to this topic) and you will be permitted back on the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.