• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Please, no autosave!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Well... since I no longer work for them, my forum ban is no longer in effect - so now I can feel free to insult you all at my leisure.
I'll take that as a confession of intent. Sweet revenge incoming? :squirrel:

yeah ofcorse ill use a dozen outside tools just becouse we cant have a simple saving system, i dont see what your point is, we have a manual save that saves the same way that it autosaves, why not let me save when i want? it alredy saves what is nececery, which is not the whole project, i dont see why you bring that up. also the whole complaint for this autosaving is the freezing when it happens, im all for autosaves but when done right. it even lags when it detects syntax errors...
What would be the parts that aren't necessary to save but are still being saved?

If something freezes while files are being saved, I'd suspect some shenanigans regarding the storage medium the project resides on, such as a hard drive going to sleep after a period of inactivity, or slow write speeds, as saving is pretty much instant for me even with larger projects.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
This thread is amazing, its like watching the neighborhood dogs fight over a squirrel.

I personally never have dealt with freezing when GM saves, though that could be up to my CPU being pretty good an Intel Core i5-6400 (Note its not the best I said pretty good so dont shame me for saying my cpu is neat okay?)
Of course GMS needs to save things, thats just how it can compile and build your pasta bowl of codeness.
Should there be an option to turn it off,
getrekt.jpg

Yes in the sense its always good to give your customers options over most things, autosaves begin one of them, theres been countless times ive wanted to revert code but cant because of the autosave wiping the undo options, (keep the window open) The shouldn't be a solution! ex: ( I got a splinter, well if you didnt use plywood.)

No, in the sense its saved my ass countless times aswell, also with the compiling and building of the game, if you could freely change anything while the game was compiling you'd be in a world of hurt as you get corruptions and broken code.

yoyo is in a bad place right now because there engine is significantly less appealing and popular then it was before, due to small stuff like this, and it shouldnt be like that. but thats a topic for a different thread.

Note these are my opinions and thoughts, could I be wrong sure, but im mainly expressing my thoughts on the matter, now go back to bitching and insulting at eachother while I make some popcorn

Posh Indie

That Guy
yeah ofcorse ill use a dozen outside tools just becouse we cant have a simple saving system, i dont see what your point is, we have a manual save that saves the same way that it autosaves, why not let me save when i want? it alredy saves what is nececery, which is not the whole project, i dont see why you bring that up. also the whole complaint for this autosaving is the freezing when it happens, im all for autosaves but when done right. it even lags when it detects syntax errors...

ill make it simple, the problem is the lag, not the autosave, and the solution to that is manual save, or to put it simply, give the option to the user to save when he wants, how much data he wants, it shuldnt be that hard to make, infact you dont need to do anything but a simple if (autosave) {autosave}; the manual save saves the same way the autosave saves. there is 0 reason why this is not an option.
I picked up a Surface Go on a whim to see how GMS2 would run on it. I was skeptical, but the portability was worth the risk (In either case, it has a stylus and runs Windows. I had a use for that, too). It runs flawlessly. Which potato are you trying to run GMS2 on, exactly?

Z

zendraw

What would be the parts that aren't necessary to save but are still being saved?

If something freezes while files are being saved, I'd suspect some shenanigans regarding the storage medium the project resides on, such as a hard drive going to sleep after a period of inactivity, or slow write speeds, as saving is pretty much instant for me even with larger projects.
i dont understand why are you people even aruging, all it takes is making autosave optional, whats the big deal? noone will lose anything and some people will gain somthing, my project freezes when trying to save, there are thausands of asssets in it, this is a fakt what argument is nececery here? the request is simple and straight foreward and the solution aswell, autosave -> optional. and dont give me shenanigans like, oh they need to focus on more important stuff, it wuld take them minutes, okay 1 hour to be generous. there is no need on stretching this and beat around the bush. go chat on discord please.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
I can neither confirm or deny.... :p

yoyo is in a bad place right now because there engine is significantly less appealing and popular then it was before, due to small stuff like this, and it shouldnt be like that. but thats a topic for a different thread.
I totally disagree. I've been out of GM for about 8 months doing contract work, and doing my own little engine, and having come back into it, I can say that it is monumentally better and faster to code in for 2D games than anything else. I've been in Unity, doing C# OpenTK (which is more or less the same as MonoGame), and they all suck for swapping targets. GM is seamless. Not enough is made of this to be honest. Visual Studio really struggles to have different targets when you've to swap DLL dependencies - something vital for things like OpenTK. Unity converts the whole project - which is nuts, and on larger projects can take "hours" to do so. In GM, you just drop down the list box and select. I haven't found anything easier to work with for 2D.

i dont understand why are you people even aruging, all it takes is making autosave optional, whats the big deal? noone will lose anything and some people will gain somthing, my project freezes when trying to save, there are thausands of asssets in it, this is a fakt what argument is nececery here? the request is simple and straight foreward and the solution aswell, autosave -> optional. and dont give me shenanigans like, oh they need to focus on more important stuff, it wuld take them minutes, okay 1 hour to be generous. there is no need on stretching this and beat around the bush. go chat on discord please.
Okay... you clearly haven't thought this through. You're saying don't save at all when you run/compile, let you save each resource yourself before hand and then just compile with whatever is on disk..

This means - especially on larger projects, you have to go through possibly hundreds of open windows to see whats changed, and if you should save that particular file. Not only would YoYo need to add some new UI to let you pick what to save, or to let you save the current thing your in, but I can guarantee that you'll miss "something", then start blaming GM for not working and picking up your changes.

Sorry, this is nuts, and totally error prone. Which is why - as I said, no other tool does this either. Frankly, no one but yourself would even consider doing this, so it's a waste of YoYo's time and resources.

Like I also said before.... if you know there's something you want to try out, use source control. Check it in. Stash a change list. If it doesn't work, you can easily get whatever you want back. This is what the rest of the professional developer community does. I'd get used to it if I were you.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Source control is not only the answer to this, it's also you're biggest friend in development.
^ This is basically the /thread of this topic. Git-commit every time you save, there's no drawback to having plenty of potential reversion points in case something goes awry. Combine with an online repo on Github or Bitbucket for extra safety, but even a local repo gives you an additional layer of protection against messing up.

(the only caveat being that currently GMS2 has issues with source control if there's more than 1 person working at the project because of the JSON/views thing, but I wouldn't be surprised if most GM users work alone to begin with... of course, source control mostly is useful for teams, which makes that argument moot)

Z

zendraw

I can neither confirm or deny.... :p

I totally disagree. I've been out of GM for about 8 months doing contract work, and doing my own little engine, and having come back into it, I can say that it is monumentally better and faster to code in for 2D games than anything else. I've been in Unity, doing C# OpenTK (which is more or less the same as MonoGame), and they all suck for swapping targets. GM is seamless. Not enough is made of this to be honest. Visual Studio really struggles to have different targets when you've to swap DLL dependencies - something vital for things like OpenTK. Unity converts the whole project - which is nuts, and on larger projects can take "hours" to do so. In GM, you just drop down the list box and select. I haven't found anything easier to work with for 2D.

Okay... you clearly haven't thought this through. You're saying don't save at all when you run/compile, let you save each resource yourself before hand and then just compile with whatever is on disk..

This means - especially on larger projects, you have to go through possibly hundreds of open windows to see whats changed, and if you should save that particular file. Not only would YoYo need to add some new UI to let you pick what to save, or to let you save the current thing your in, but I can guarantee that you'll miss "something", then start blaming GM for not working and picking up your changes.

Sorry, this is nuts, and totally error prone. Which is why - as I said, no other tool does this either. Frankly, no one but yourself would even consider doing this, so it's a waste of YoYo's time and resources.

Like I also said before.... if you know there's something you want to try out, use source control. Check it in. Stash a change list. If it doesn't work, you can easily get whatever you want back. This is what the rest of the professional developer community does. I'd get used to it if I were you.
you are clearly refusing to see the obvious thing here, read this clearly now, an option to switch off autosave, we alredy have manual save that does the exact same as autosave but is done when desired, not forced. which part of this is not clear? im not asking for your opinion on this i can think for myself tyvm, yoyo doesnt need to do anything but make this a simple on/off option, nothing else. there is nothing else to be talked about, if manual saving doesnt work for you at thius time, turn it on, if autosaving doesnt work for you at this time, turn it off. what is the big fuss about why are you explaining 💩💩💩💩 noone asks about? you can stretch your theories as wide and far as you like, they mean nothing, ive worked on gms1.4 for years, havent gone nuts, nor has anyone else gone nuts and i dont remember anyone complaining. stop telling people how to work. give me options, dont tell me what to do. i know what to do and how to do it. im sure you are very important person, that doesnt matter to me here.

this has been asked 3 years ago and yoyo didnt have 1 hour to add a simple option. and it is obvious people will going to keep complain about this, and it is a simple solution, make it optional. it really boggles my mind why is there a discussion for this atall. again, this is a request/demand for a very small and insignificant work-wise feature, but very significant to meny people.....

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
What you're asking for isn't no autosave, it's "run the previous run". Because without saving anything, that's what you get. The "save" that you do manually, saves everything. So if you're saying you either want to save everything and run, or save nothing and run - then what you're actually saying, is you want to be able to run the previous run.

Z

zendraw

thats very vague, your sayng the save button on the IDE is different from the autosave, in function?

recently, i was adding alot of sounds in the project and multiple times game maker wuld throw an error and give me a reload/save option and i aways press reload, the effect of which being i loose the most recent added sounds, which were autosaved aways... i also tryed the manual save, again after it threw the error and i press reload i lost the files, then, before saving i cleared cache (which mind you aways clears for about the same time regardles of project size) and then manually saved, and after it threw me that error and i pressed reload, i didnt lose the files. what exactly are you sayng here now? what runs are you talking about, there is no difference betwean the save button and autosave as far as my experience goes. are you trying to tell me that game maker aways runs SAVED project and files that are not saved dont run? if thats what your sayng i dont see what the problem is, afaik it was the same with gsm1.4 but it simply saved on run, which woe and behold was an option that you have controll over in the prefrences.

again your beating around the bush for no reason telling me what i want, there is no need for that. what is asked for is to give the user more options on how they want the IDE to function, options that dont take any effort or much time to do.

did i mention i also cant deactivate the syntax error thing? which again for some reason lags the IDE for a moment. somthing that didnt happen with GMS1.4

Posh Indie

That Guy
thats very vague, your sayng the save button on the IDE is different from the autosave, in function?
Depends.

Autosave when compiling behaves the same as saving through the menu (It will save everything so you do not have a piecemeal build. Trust me, you would not want that, haha).

Autosave when closing a file saves that file.

Last edited:
Z

zendraw

autosave saves the the file/window closed, manual save saves all unsaved. is that not correct?

edit: actually your just baiting me to keep beating around the bush, all in all what is asked is to make autosave optional, as well as syntax erroring, let me decide what i want. i dont need all these technical stuff, im not a technician, im a user, and this is what i and others need. this is not difficult to make and it wont take much time.

Last edited:

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
autosave saves all unsaved - just like a manual save. When you compile it basically selects the "save project" menu item (which is the same as the save button).

You would have to do this yourself every time you build. If you don't, you're going to either run the last build again, or you will run a half saved project - from whenever you clicked save the last time. This would be incredibly error prone, and was why we didn't do it.

Look... whether you like it or not, I can't see this ever happening - unless YoYo have taken leave of their senses. It would only result in complaints to them that things aren't compiling properly, or changes you've made aren't being picked up, or your getting compile syntax errors that you don't have (because the last version on disk which it's using has syntax errors in it, but that isn't what's in memory).

It's a terrible, terrible idea.... But that's just my $0.02.

Fortunately since I no longer work there, I no longer have to continue trying to justify why I think it's a terrible. It just is. :)

rIKmAN

autosave saves the the file/window closed, manual save saves all unsaved. is that not correct?

edit: actually your just baiting me to keep beating around the bush, all in all what is asked is to make autosave optional, as well as syntax erroring, let me decide what i want. i dont need all these technical stuff, im not a technician, im a user, and this is what i and others need. this is not difficult to make and it wont take much time.
Are you talking about the unused variable warnings or actual syntax errors?

If the former then you can switch those off in the preferences.
If the latter then I don't understand, you'd rather have no syntax error messages and have to hunt through your project line by line to see where you may have made a mistake?

For the saving thing, have you ever filed a ticket / suggestion?
Ranting on here won't do you any good other than maybe making you feel better, so file a ticket and explain your suggestion in a calmer manner than you are on here so someone can give you a final answer.

PS. Welcome back @Mike.

Z

zendraw

yes i have filed a ticket

Mike, like i sayd, they shuld just make it an option, wether its good or bad people can decide for themselvs. you are just looking the worst case scenario where someone doesnt save for long time, which wuld be the case only when coding, otherwise its pretty much an automated muscle reaction ctrl+s, and people like kids and noobs who dont do it wuld have autosave on as default.

Posh Indie

That Guy

Not baiting anything. Autosave behaves differently based on the context. If you wish to ignore that to feel more justified about your complaint, you are free to do so, but you are still arguing from a partial position in that case (Which makes your position weaker).

You asked if autosave behaves the same as manual save in function. I said "Depends". I could have said "No" and dismissed you entirely on account of the fact that you did not qualify the question. Instead I gave a reason that it "Depends".

yes i have filed a ticket

Mike, like i sayd, they shuld just make it an option, wether its good or bad people can decide for themselvs. you are just looking the worst case scenario where someone doesnt save for long time, which wuld be the case only when coding, otherwise its pretty much an automated muscle reaction ctrl+s, and people like kids and noobs who dont do it wuld have autosave on as default.
People have saved their projects in the GMS2 application directory and complained at YoYo Games that their projects got destroyed when they upgraded between versions. This is where @Mike has a very valid point. YoYo Games will just add more meaningless support requests by adding such a feature. These meaningless support requests will take away from feature delivery.

If it is already a muscle reaction to "ctrl+s" for you, then what would this "feature" grant you? You are just manually doing what the editor handles for you automatically...

I am pretty sure it is less a question of "Noob vs Pro" and more a question of "RAM vs Disk".

If we are adding features and saying, "If you are too Noob to use them, then don't", this is where I will plug my request for multi-threading again. At least this feature will add value, haha.

I am team "Keep it as it is". I am using a very underpowered device without any performance issues. I want evidence that autosaving a little bit of text is causing lock ups and lag... otherwise I call BS.

Last edited:
Z

zendraw

you talk much, say nothing, what does peoples destroyed projects matter here? you are talking about backups, im talking for the 1000 time to give a simple option. There are no points to be made, its utter bs that this wuld make meaningless support requests, this has nothing to do with backups. and further more im not sayng remove it, read it clearly Make Autosave, Optional. is that not clear enough? they can keep it ON by default so kids and people whos projects get "destroyed" dont complain. OPTIONAL doesnt mean removal, how meny times i have to repeat this? you people are clearly spamming for no reason other then to kill time. your valid points and arguments and what not can be correct, this is not theyr place.

This OPTION will grant me controll, and ease of adding assets to my projects, and im sure it will remove a pesky bug where game maker throws an error randomly when you add alot of assets and it freezes alot. this OPTION will only add positivity. have you not used GMS1.4 wherethis was the case? and people had no problem with it. it was perfect.

jibberish
jibberish

i dont care what team you are, what you are using, or whatever, im having these issues, others have had them, having them, they havent done anything for 3 years.

call it whatever you want, this is not a debate, its a request coming from a need,if you like to rant about and argue about stuff and feel important go argue about god or politics.

Posh Indie

That Guy
you talk much, say nothing, what does peoples destroyed projects matter here? you are talking about backups, im talking for the 1000 time to give a simple option. There are no points to be made, its utter bs that this wuld make meaningless support requests, this has nothing to do with backups. and further more im not sayng remove it, read it clearly Make Autosave, Optional. is that not clear enough? they can keep it ON by default so kids and people whos projects get "destroyed" dont complain. OPTIONAL doesnt mean removal, how meny times i have to repeat this? you people are clearly spamming for no reason other then to kill time. your valid points and arguments and what not can be correct, this is not theyr place.

This OPTION will grant me controll, and ease of adding assets to my projects, and im sure it will remove a pesky bug where game maker throws an error randomly when you add alot of assets and it freezes alot. this OPTION will only add positivity. have you not used GMS1.4 wherethis was the case? and people had no problem with it. it was perfect.

jibberish
jibberish

i dont care what team you are, what you are using, or whatever, im having these issues, others have had them, having them, they havent done anything for 3 years.

call it whatever you want, this is not a debate, its a request coming from a need,if you like to rant about and argue about stuff and feel important go argue about god or politics.
You listen very little, understand even less. Just Because You Want It Doesn't Mean You Will Get It. Is that not clear enough? People Have Made Dumb Mistakes In The Past, And That Is Not Going To Change. This Will Cause Dumb Mistakes In The Future. That was the point. Is that not clear enough?

Just Because You Want It, Doesn't Mean You Need It. Is that not clear enough?

Here's an OPTION for you. Use source control. Just because you DON'T LIKE the OPTION doesn't mean it's not viable. Just because you REFUSE to accept the OPTIONS already provided doesn't mean they aren't more valuable than what you are demanding.

Jibberish
Jibberish

I don't care if you are incapable of comprehending (Or typing... let's be honest). You are having self-imposed issues because you are too stubborn to use what is currently available (You know, the 40 third party softwares you think you need to use Source Control). You using what is currently available will only add positivity (By the way, this isn't even an argument... this is a statement backed up by literally nothing... haha).

Can we type like normal people, yet? Can you stop feeling personally attacked by every opinion that doesn't match yours? I get it, you're frustrated because you're not hearing what you want to hear. Welcome to real life... If you are okay talking like mature individuals, I am happy to go back to that (And honestly, would prefer not to have to mimic your typing again. It made me feel "Obnoxious" and "Entitled" just doing it).

Back to the topic at hand: You said it locks up your computer. Do you have evidence of that? Also, it's a step in the right direction that you made a ticket about it. You will get your final answer directly from YoYo Games that way and it can be put to rest by an official response.

Don't worry, I'll leave the topic now. I have to go talk about Politics and Religion so I can feel important again.

Last edited:

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
........others have had them, having them, they havent done anything for 3 years.
okay... I'm not gonna repeat myself on anything I've said before. But I will ask - who has had issues?

As to "They haven't done anything for 3 years".... well, since this time also includes the time I was in charge of the IDE... I will add that in deciding to do a new feature there are several things that are taken into consideration.

1) How many would benefit?
If it's a very small number, even if it's added to the list - it'll be miles down, and never get done. It should be something that benefits "lots" of people, and is quick to do. This wouldn't.

2) Is it even possible, and is it a remotely good idea.
In this case, since every tool, every 3rd party tool etc compiles from disk, I'd say this is highly unlikely. YoYo Dealt with the auto save on close of dialogs, and save on run years ago. It was decided years ago it was needed and so I don't think they'll change it.

3) implementation and testing
Lastly... even the simplest idea needs to be scheduled, and tested. Due to the nature of this would need HUGE amounts of testing, especially due to the compile errors that could occur. You might delete a resource, change it, rename it.... you'd have to test all of this.

4) Will it cause any issues, and any help desk tickets.
yes. if someone things its a great idea and switches it on, as I said before, there are LOADS of cases where things won't work right.
Compiling from old data, means error messages will simply be wrong. You might miss out a bracket, save... notice and put it in then compile. This would be bad, and it would generate even more help desk tickets. Getting more help desk tickets is always high on the list of consideration. There's no point in adding a feature if it'll put the support guys under more pressure.

Now... it'll obviously be up to YoYo.... but brace yourself for disappointment. It's a terrible, terrible idea.

Now I don't expect you do care about any of this... so good luck with your request. Enjoy.

Z

zendraw

Mike:
I think you are imposing your status as former employee to further justify this cause that autosave being OPTIONAL is a bad idea. you are not implemening anything, you are simply making it optional, that is not the same, you are not adding anything to the IDE. and becouse you keep talking about it as if it as feature when i multiple times stated about it being an option, is becouse im sayng your using your status. you dont need to be a genius to see your just justifying your point, maybe you just dont like to not have autosave i dont know, im not afraid to save manually and to leave a chanse to forget to save. coding and adding resourses is not like actually creating them anyway.
not to mention these questions are highly unproductive, they speak as if yoyo are just blindly shooting in the darkness and have no real vision for game maker, thus they need good reasoning for everything. i remember when android became big, and yoyo added an export for android in a couple of months, yet they cant make somthing optional for 3 years.

Indie:
-no smit sherloc? i really thought it was a wish towards a golden fishie.

-if you want somthing you dont need its your problem, i want only things i need since childhood. :confused:

-i dont need source controll, all i need is an IDE that runs smoothly, even if it has only manual save that saves everything on save. im more fine with that then having autosave lagging my flow. but we arent stoneage and game maker alredy has good saves, it just has an extra autosave that is a thorn that i dont want.

-i wuld be glad if you dont care and stop flaming and littering my clear request. (make autosave, and hopefully syntax errors optional.)

-i dont have a point, i have a request that i made a million times alredy... you are tantruming or whatever.o_O

actually ill just leave it at that, its going nowhere anyway.

Last edited:
Z

zendraw

@zendraw What do you mean make syntax errors optional?

Code with syntax errors won’t compile, how can that be made optional?
i mean even when the IDE checks for syntax errors it lags for a moment and if im trying to select somthing meanwhile it fs it up. its bad to nt have that red dot poppin, but god the lag is frustrating.

rIKmAN

i mean even when the IDE checks for syntax errors it lags for a moment and if im trying to select somthing meanwhile it fs it up. its bad to nt have that red dot poppin, but god the lag is frustrating.
What are your machine specs?
Standalone or Steam?

I’ve run GMS2 on a Core2Duo machine using the Mesa driver and while it doesn’t run super fast, once it’s all loaded the syntax checking or autosaving doesn’t cause any lag, so I’m wondering if it could be down to a lack of system resources on the machine or something else interfering with it.

H

Homunculus

you are not implemening anything, you are simply making it optional, that is not the same, you are not adding anything to the IDE.
I have to disagree on this. You seem to imply with your request that making the autosave optional takes essentially zero (or very little) effort on yoyogames part, but that’s probably not the case.

I obviously don’t know how the IDE has been developed, but a system that relies on having only the open resources in memory and a system that keeps everything in memory until a save action occurs are probably quite different in terms of implementation.

You may be basing part of your argument on the wrong assumption to begin with

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

zendraw

amd a8-9600 radeon r7, 10 compute cores 4c+6g 3.10ghz
8gb ram

the syntax doesnt lag aways but autosaving aways pulls me back when adding resourses. espetially if they need modifying. and if yoyo pulls data from me, its even worse.

rIKmAN

amd a8-9600 radeon r7, 10 compute cores 4c+6g 3.10ghz
8gb ram

the syntax doesnt lag aways but autosaving aways pulls me back when adding resourses. espetially if they need modifying. and if yoyo pulls data from me, its even worse.
Windows 10 I assume? Is it up to date?
Motherboard BIOS upto date and setup correctly?
SSD? Mechanical hard drive?
Chipset and SATA drivers up to date?
Any software that may monitor your system / drives in real-time?
Are you running the projects from a local drive or DropBox, OneDrive etc?

Z

zendraw

Windows 10 I assume? Is it up to date?
Motherboard BIOS upto date and setup correctly?
SSD? Mechanical hard drive?
Chipset and SATA drivers up to date?
Any software that may monitor your system / drives in real-time?
Are you running the projects from a local drive or DropBox, OneDrive etc?
yes, it shuld be.
-no idea
-no idea
-when yoyo leech data from me its terrible, so i blocked gsm2 from the internet and it runs smoother.
-all is local

rIKmAN

yes, it shuld be.
-no idea
-no idea
-when yoyo leech data from me its terrible, so i blocked gsm2 from the internet and it runs smoother.
-all is local
What about any real-time monitoring software, av etc that could be causing the pauses during file access?

Laptops can often come with this sort of stuff preinstalled so it doesn’t have to be something you have installed yourself manually.

Have you run a virus scan or a malware scan with something like MalwareBytes and see if it reports anything?

Have you tried changing the file watcher values in preferences?

“Leeching data” - Let’s relax with the over exaggerations while we try and troubleshoot.

Z

zendraw

i have no monitoring software
its a PC
im runing one now
what is this file watcher?
they do pull data for license verification and what nots, and when that happens its hell.

rIKmAN

i have no monitoring software
its a PC
im runing one now
what is this file watcher?
they do pull data for license verification and what nots, and when that happens its hell.
Check the preferences for the file watcher frequency and see if adjusting the values to be less frequent makes any difference. I’m not at my PC at the moment so can’t tell you the exact location but just look through the prefs and you will see them.

It’s more than likely unrelated but it’s something I would try if I had any of the issues you mention regarding lag when accessing files.

Yes the IDE sends data, but it’s hardly leeching gigabytes or even megabytes and probably not your syntax errors, so it’s not something that should be causing lag.

However since you mention it how about any internet protection software that may be checking traffic to make sure it’s safe before allowing it, firewalls, safety filter software etc?

Basically think outside the box a bit, because I and others have none of the lag issues you describe which seems to point to it being something specific in your setup or a compatibility issue somewhere rather than a community wide IDE problem.

The forum would be full of threads about it if everyone had lag when typing code and getting syntax errors marked in the IDE.

Last edited:

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Topic cleaned - please cut out the sarcasm and stay on topic. We're here to help, not to make fun of each other.

you people are clearly spamming for no reason other then to kill time.
Please don't jump to conclusions about people's intentions. This type of dismissive attitude creates an unnecessarily hostile atmosphere.

your valid points and arguments and what not can be correct, this is not theyr place.

Replies to this topic have nothing to do with rants, but have everything to do with discussing the future of the product that is the very reason we are on this community, how the development team uses its resources to develop it further, how it should and shouldn't be changed... a single user's opinion realistically can't be absolute around here, so you can't make a suggestion and then be surprised that it's not being followed to the letter.

This is very much the place for valid points and arguments. It's a forum. Everyone is welcome to add their opinion. Posting here means you consent to people commenting on and discussing your proposed improvements. You do not have total authority over what other members post, especially not in topics that aren't even yours to begin with. If you don't wish to discuss your suggestion, you posted this in the wrong place and should file a ticket instead, as that's between you and YoYo Games only.

If you're looking for an official response, there are two within the first three replies to this topic. If they aren't satisfactory for you, file a ticket to see if the official stance on this topic has changed in the past few years.

yes, it shuld be.
-no idea
-no idea
-all is local
Please let us know which storage medium the project is stored on, as that probably has the biggest impact on file I/O performance. This needs to be ruled out as a problem source before any other troubleshooting.

Z

zendraw

so i found this file watcher, it was set to 2000, i set it to 5000. not sure what to do now? there are things in that tab i dont understand.
upload_2019-9-8_19-33-5.png

TsukaLove what storage medium? where can i see that?

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Find out the model of your HDD or SSD that you store the project files on. You can use a tool like Speccy for this.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
It tells me that it's a hard drive with comparatively low write speeds for your usage case (which consists mostly of writing a lot of small files) and may explain why you're running into performance issues while saving a large project.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Storing the project on an SSD or ramdisk could be a good start.

Seeing your CPU usage sorted by highest CPU usage per process during the saving process might also be helpful.

curato

basically it is attempting a save every few seconds so SSD is better. So, basically a faster HDD or a little lag here and there.

Z

zendraw

basically it is attempting a save every few seconds so SSD is better. So, basically a faster HDD or a little lag here and there.
or maybe, an option to turn autosave off, the way it was in 1.4? noone died when using 1.4 im sure. sorry but i wont buy this and that simply becouse yoyo are stubborn and lazy and think only of money. this thread is 3 years old, its name is "no autosave pls". 3 years old. the same way gms1.4`s room editor was total crap and still is and with every update they messed up stuff, even the image editor... and this is not coming only from me.
i even have doubts gms2 has memory leaks, the lags get worse with time. you can see from my video, now i restarted the pc and lag is alot less.

curato

or maybe, an option to turn autosave off, the way it was in 1.4? noone died when using 1.4 im sure. sorry but i wont buy this and that simply because yoyo are stubborn and lazy and think only of money. this thread is 3 years old, its name is "no autosave pls". 3 years old. the same way gms1.4`s room editor was total crap and still is and with every update they messed up stuff, even the image editor... and this is not coming only from me.
i even have doubts gms2 has memory leaks, the lags get worse with time. you can see from my video, now I restarted the pc and lag is a lot less.
I don't think you are going to win the autoupdate debate, but that isn't my call.

The room editor is different I did miss the speed drop of objects in the room until I discovered you just select it and push alt then it works great. The image editor, I would like to see all the 1.4 features in the 2.x image editor. I really haven't had experience with the engine seeming to have memory leaks but there are several things like particles that they want you to destroy them yourself or you could end up with a memory leak. I am hoping some of that will be addressed in the garbage collection update.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
If you're not willing to listen to the help provided to you by the community, this topic isn't going anywhere. If you want to push the autosave thing further, file a ticket. Keep it away from the community. This topic has both official and unofficial responses and you're simply dismissing all of them. You've made your point more than once already and reiterating the same arguments over and over will not get anyone anywhere. Either leave the feedback you're getting as it is, or file a ticket and get an official response.

If you wish to discuss the technical details of why your saves are that slow and potentially receive help to resolve it, you are welcome to make your own topic about it.

Topic closed to avoid further endless discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.