• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Unable to install GMS2 - Win X

Karlstens

Hey fam,

After installing and running GMS2 on my new WinX PC for about a week, I've found today that it won' t run.

I attempted a reinstall via GameMakerStudio-Installer-2.2.4.444, which installs without error, however there is no resulting ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2 folder, and the application launch silently crashes without any response after clicking the desktop icon.

I've done a complete GMS2 regedit & appdata folder clean up, and have also cleared C++ Redistributable files, and uninstalled/reinstalled .NET 3.5... still no go.

What next?

rIKmAN

Hey fam,

After installing and running GMS2 on my new WinX PC for about a week, I've found today that it won' t run.

I attempted a reinstall via GameMakerStudio-Installer-2.2.4.444, which installs without error, however there is no resulting ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2 folder, and the application launch silently crashes without any response after clicking the desktop icon.

I've done a complete GMS2 regedit & appdata folder clean up, and have also cleared C++ Redistributable files, and uninstalled/reinstalled .NET 3.5... still no go.

What next?
Is your new machine a laptop or a desktop?
The quickest thing to test would be to follow this guide and try running the IDE using the mesa driver and see if that works.
If that works then look at making sure (a) Your GPU supports DX11 and (b) You are using the latest drivers for your GPU.

If that doesn't work, then:
Make sure all devices have drivers installed in Device Manager and are using up to date drivers.
Make sure Windows is up to date via Windows Update.
Disable any antivirus, system protection / monitoring software that might be interfering with the installation or locking / blocking files and folders and try again.

Check this article and if you still have the same issue, check if a ui.log file is created and if so file it with a ticket to the Helpdesk.

Karlstens

I think the issue was due to Mobile internet connectivity. Once I got back to my wireless at home everything installed and worked OK.