• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

What Are The Best Game Development Channels To Watch On YouTube?

I’m having trouble finding some good game development channels to watch on YouTube. I used to watch some videos from ‘extra credits’ on YouTube, but I stopped watching his videos because most of his videos really isn’t all that interesting, and useful. I just got introduced to another game development channel called ‘AskGameDev’. But, I really don’t know which certain videos should I watched on his game development channel. What should I do? How do I searched for a good game development channel to watch on YouTube? What are the best game development channels to watch on YouTube?

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I'm gonna interpret your question as "what are the best game design channels on Youtube?" instead, assuming you want cool ideas and not tutorials.

GDC (Game Developers Conference) has a lot of insider information, many talks are kinda boring but there's guaranteed to be SOMETHING you enjoy in there.

Game Maker's Toolkit (and all other series by Mark Brown) are full of interesting observations and often points out what stuff you should specifically learn from:

Writing on Games by Hamish Black is somewhere in the middle of Errant Signal (check out that channel as well btw) and GMTK, mostly analyzing an individual game rather than delving into a concept, but points and ideas that are brought up are still educational in a lot of ways.

I'm gonna interpret your question as "what are the best game design channels on Youtube?" instead, assuming you want cool ideas and not tutorials.

GDC (Game Developers Conference) has a lot of insider information, many talks are kinda boring but there's guaranteed to be SOMETHING you enjoy in there.

Game Maker's Toolkit (and all other series by Mark Brown) are full of interesting observations and often points out what stuff you should specifically learn from:

Writing on Games by Hamish Black is somewhere in the middle of Errant Signal (check out that channel as well btw) and GMTK, mostly analyzing an individual game rather than delving into a concept, but points and ideas that are brought up are still educational in a lot of ways.
No, there’s been a misunderstanding. I looking for suggestions for game development channels on YouTube in this thread. What makes you assumed cool ideas and no tutorials?

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Last edited:
Reactions: Yal

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Well, then.

This guy livestreams developing games. Watch him or something, it's not like I care or anything.

View attachment 26602

If you mean watching someone make games and discuss game design, NOT TUTORIALS
The only one I really watch, that hasnt been said is
Pixel Prophecy or @Phil Strahl

Now theres a difference!

For tutorials I recommend
Friendly Cosmonaut
GMWolf @GMWolf
Pixelated pope @Pixelated_Pope
GameMakerStation or @matharoo
Not tutorials as in using game development tools to make games. Videos that discusses game development, game design, and that give advice about the video game industry.

pixeltroid

Not tutorials as in using game development tools to make games. Videos that discusses game development, game design, and that give advice about the video game industry.
then you should check out the GDC talks.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0JB7TSe49lg56u6qH8y_MQ

A lot of it may come across as very dry and technical. But they contain valuable insights. Sometimes I just play them in the background while working on my projects. :)

Niels

I find Sebastián lague coding adventure a fascinating channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Cercopithecan

Myself I'm a bit tired of channels like Gamedev undeground, blackthorneprod and others that all teach the same basics, and seem to be stuck in the "trying to become a real Gamedev" phase.

Thomas Brush at least has some actual experience in the field, and I like his art tutorials. But on the other hand his YouTube personality can be obnoxious and clickbaity.