• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

First Phone App Ever - Just Need Help Starting

G

GOD-sSs-END

Hello, all:

I've played around a lot with building little games for PC, but I've never built an app for a phone. I understand that the most popular resolution is 1920 by 1080, but I want my app to be vertical. So, do I set the room resolution for 1080 x 1920?

Also, my graphics are smaller than this resolution. About half the size, actually. Basically, I'm asking how to set up. Once I know the best room size, I'll be good to go.

But any other tips would be helpful.

Thank you.

G

GOD-sSs-END

You know, I think I may have unnecessarily opened a can of worms. Maybe you can guide me here. But I downloaded the Android Studio and am in the process of sorting out my SDK, NDK and JAVA requirements. I was hoping that all I had to do was build the app in basic GameMaker in a specific resolution (like what you recommend above) and just export to Android.

Is this not the case, or do I really need all this stuff?

Great link, by the way. That will come in handy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Is this not the case, or do I really need all this stuff?
By "stuff" do you mean the NDK, JDK and Android SDKs? If so then very definitely! GMS2 requires those components to actually build your app for Android and without them it would be impossible to actually create the APK or AAB that is required. The setup isn't too difficult, just time consuming, and all you need from Android Studio is the SDK 28, NDK and Support Library, and the Jave JDK you can download from the Oracle website (the setup doc on the helpdesk should have a link). Once you've installed them you never need to touch Android Studio again.

G

GOD-sSs-END

Thank you so much for your time, brother. I just finished installing the JDK and am going to set up my paths now. You've been a great help.

I had already started my project in GameMaker Studio with a resolution of 1080x1920, thinking that this would give me a vertical layout for my app. Do I have to start over in Android Studio?

I've gone back into GameMaker per the instructions, so I'm sorting it out now -- the paths.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I had already started my project in GameMaker Studio with a resolution of 1080x1920, thinking that this would give me a vertical layout for my app. Do I have to start over in Android Studio?
Nope! Like I say, Android Studio is simply to get the build tools to make your app. Everything else is done in GMS2, so you literally just install the required things and then forget all about Android Studio! You can use any size you want in GMS2 and it will make no difference to the way the game is built.

G

GOD-sSs-END

Sorry, that's a stupid question. Give me some time, and I'll get back to you if I need any additional help.

You've been GREAT!!!

G

GOD-sSs-END

One more thing:

I've got everything setup, apparently. My phone is good to go. All I'm missing is Arm64??? It's asking me to add it.

Oops! I found the solution. I just had to click on the Architecture under "Architecture" --> Game Options --> Android.

I then tried to run what I have and got nothing. I opened my phone and tried again, and the Compiler Errors tab said GMS2 was downloading something, and when done, it spit out "Error: Build Failed.

Any ideas?

Here's the Output log:

X://bin/GMAssetCompiler.exe DONE (0)
Release build
PlatformOptions
Options: Z:/Enigma_GOD_7A114F79_643439FD\PlatformOptions.json
Options: Z:/Enigma_GOD_7A114F79_643439FD\MainOptions.json
displayname
hostname
runtime
OptionsIni
PlatformOptions
X://bin/GMAssetCompiler.exe /c /zpex /mv=1 /iv=0 /rv=0 /bv=0 /j=8 /gn="Enigma_GODHAC 001" /td="Y:/" /cd="Z:/Enigma_GOD_7A114F79_643439FD" /zpuf="C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming/GameMakerStudio2\davidallenfarrell_1968336" /m=llvm-android /tgt=8 /llvmSource="X://yyc/" /nodnd /cfg="default" /fU="Z:/Enigma_GOD_7A114F79_643439FD\functionsUsed.txt" /o="Y:/Enigma_GODHAC_001_2EA445CF_YYC" /optionsini="Y:/Enigma_GODHAC_001_2EA445CF_YYC\options.ini" /baseproject="X:/BaseProject\BaseProject.yyp" "D:\my Games\Hell Let Loose\Apps\Enigma_GODHAC 001\Enigma_GODHAC 001.yyp" /arch=18 /bt=exe /rt=yyc
Reading project file....D:\my Games\Hell Let Loose\Apps\Enigma_GODHAC 001
Reading project file....X:\BaseProject
Reading config delta 'D:\my Games\Hell Let Loose\Apps\Enigma_GODHAC 001\options\main\inherited\options_main.inherited.yy'
finished.
Compile Constants...finished.
Remove DnD...finished.
Compile Scripts...finished.
Compile Objects...finished.
Compile Timelines...finished.
Compile Triggers...finished.
Compile Rooms...finished.
Compile Extensions...finished.
Global scripts...finished.
finished.
collapsing enums.
Final Compile...finished.
Writing Chunk... GEN8
option_game_speed=60
Writing Chunk... OPTN
Writing Chunk... LANG
Writing Chunk... EXTN
Writing Chunk... SOND
Writing Chunk... AGRP
Writing Chunk... SPRT
Writing Chunk... BGND
Writing Chunk... PATH
Writing Chunk... SCPT
Writing Chunk... GLOB
Writing Chunk... SHDR
Writing Chunk... FONT
Writing Chunk... TMLN
Writing Chunk... OBJT
Writing Chunk... ROOM
Writing Chunk... DAFL
Writing Chunk... EMBI
Writing Chunk... TPAGE
Texture Group - Default
Writing Chunk... TGIN
Writing Chunk... STRG
Writing Chunk... TXTR
0 Compressing texture... writing texture texture_0.png...
1 Compressing texture... writing texture texture_1.png...
Writing Chunk... AUDO
ClangExeLocation=C:\Android NDK\toolchains\llvm\prebuilt\windows-x86_64\bin\clang++.exe
Using NDKDir = C:\Android NDK
Using PlatformDir = C:\Android NDK\platforms\android-29
Using ARMToolChain = C:\Android NDK\toolchains\arm-linux-androideabi-4.9\prebuilt\windows-x86_64
Using ARM64ToolChain = C:\Android NDK\toolchains\aarch64-linux-android-4.9\prebuilt\windows-x86_64
saving file Y:/Enigma_GODHAC_001_2EA445CF_YYC\Enigma_GODHAC 001.droid
'C:\Android' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Stats : GMA : Elapsed=733.5165
Stats : GMA : sp=26,au=0,bk=0,pt=0,sc=0,sh=0,fo=0,tl=0,ob=14,ro=1,da=0,ex=0,ma=16,fm=0x200000000000
X://bin/GMAssetCompiler.exe exited with non-zero status (1)
elapsed time 00:00:02.3131564s for command "C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.2.3.344/bin/Igor.exe" -j=8 -options="C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\build.bff" -v -- Android Run started at 09/06/2019 14:23:58
"cmd" /c subst Z: /d
elapsed time 00:00:00.0370264s for command "cmd" /c subst Z: /d started at 09/06/2019 14:24:00
"cmd" /c subst Y: /d
elapsed time 00:00:00.0370420s for command "cmd" /c subst Y: /d started at 09/06/2019 14:24:01
"cmd" /c subst X: /d
elapsed time 00:00:00.0360355s for command "cmd" /c subst X: /d started at 09/06/2019 14:24:01
FAILED: Run Program Complete

I see this part:

'C:\Android' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

But "C:/Android" was suggested (if it's actually a problem and not an expected error note).

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GOD-sSs-END

All three are showing "Found":

C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk
C:\Android NDK
C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.8.0_202

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I suspect it's the space in the NDK patrh that may be the issue. You might want to make that "Android_NDK" or something instead.

G

GOD-sSs-END

Things were definitely different. Here's the output:

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.
* What went wrong:
Unable to start the daemon process.
This problem might be caused by incorrect configuration of the daemon.
For example, an unrecognized jvm option is used.
Please refer to the user guide chapter on the daemon at https://docs.gradle.org/3.1/userguide/gradle_daemon.html
Please read the following process output to find out more:
-----------------------
Error occurred during initialization of VM
Could not reserve enough space for 2621440KB object heap
* Try:
Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe exited with non-zero status (1)

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| NOTE

I did notice this warning earlier on:

---
Android NDK: WARNING: APP_PLATFORM android-16 is higher than android:minSdkVersion 14 in ./AndroidManifest.xml. NDK binaries will *not* be compatible with devices older than android-16.
---

I'm not sure if they're connected. The FAILURE notice above is probably more useful.

By the way, I really appreciate this. . .

G

GOD-sSs-END

I'm sorry, the above is from YYC. The previous was from VM.

I ran as VM again, and I got the same result as my first output post. The path change didn't fix things.

Will I still be able to export to Android???

I can test everything in GMS2 as I would a regular game, and then export, upload to Google Play, and download for test.

It's ugly, but what else am I going to do?

G

GOD-sSs-END

What should I be looking at, exactly?

By the way, I changed my keystore. I guess there was an old bug that had to do with different passwords under common and alias. They need to be the same. Also, I had hyphens in my alias, so I took those out as well.

But, yes. What do you want me to look at?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Just a screenshot of the General Game Options would be fine... Just want to see what your SDK settings are more than anything else....

G

GOD-sSs-END

Here's the pic. I'm also installing a few more APIs, as I'm using a Pixel XL. I'm not sure what API fits this or if I have to install anything more, but I'm trying in the meantime.

Capture_GMS2 Support - Android 001.PNG

G

GOD-sSs-END

I've tried a bunch of things since, but nothing seems to be working. Here is another snippet. Any info I can give you, just ask. I need to get this straightened out. The heap size is 2, by the way. And I do get that seemingly classic error about heap size being too small. And when I increase it, I get the error for it being too big. But I don't know if that's the whole of my issue or what. I'm at a loss and exhausted. WHY CAN'T THIS JUST WORK!

lol. . .

Capture_GMS2 Support - Android 002_platform.PNG

G

GOD-sSs-END

Okay, I may have fixed this thing. Not sure. But I just tried to preview my project again, and I'm stuck on:

Preparing "Install Android Support Repository"

It's not in the SDK manager, under tools as the most recent (2 months ago) documentation form GameMaker Studio 2 shows. So, how do I get this and where to I put it?