[SOLVED] Android Studio Error

I'm trying to get Android Emulator up and working. So someone suggested to me to make a hello world in Android Studio. So I did that and on build got this error:

Manifest merger failed : uses-sdk:minSdkVersion 9 cannot be smaller than version 14 declared in library [com.android.support:appcompat-v7:28.0.0] C:\Users\ted_g\.gradle\caches\transforms-2\files-2.1\73b1f59c0a6a19fae3c4ab1c6aa6fa17\AndroidManifest.xml as the library might be using APIs not available in 9
Suggestion: use a compatible library with a minSdk of at most 9,
or increase this project's minSdk version to at least 14,
or use tools:eek:verrideLibrary="android.support.v7.appcompat" to force usage (may lead to runtime failures)

rIKmAN

I'm trying to get Android Emulator up and working. So someone suggested to me to make a hello world in Android Studio. So I did that and on build got this error:

Manifest merger failed : uses-sdk:minSdkVersion 9 cannot be smaller than version 14 declared in library [com.android.support:appcompat-v7:28.0.0] C:\Users\ted_g\.gradle\caches\transforms-2\files-2.1\73b1f59c0a6a19fae3c4ab1c6aa6fa17\AndroidManifest.xml as the library might be using APIs not available in 9
Suggestion: use a compatible library with a minSdk of at most 9,
or increase this project's minSdk version to at least 14,
or use tools:eek:verrideLibrary="android.support.v7.appcompat" to force usage (may lead to runtime failures)
The error message literally tells you what to do, do you read them before you copy and paste them here?

As instructed in the error message:
increase this project's minSdk version to at least 14

rIKmAN

Yeah. If I didn't read it I couldn't copy paste it here, can I?
If you read it then you have all the information needed to fix the issue even if you don't know what minsdk is , it tells you exactly what you need to do.
If you don't know what minSDK is that error message is just gibberish.
You know how to use Google though, right?
Search for "android studio change minsdk" and choose one of the results that guide you through how to change it with pictures.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
There's a difference between seeing a message and actually reading and abiding by it. Ever seen pictures of people smoking next to "No Smoking" signs? If you've been told that your minimum SDK level is too low, your first port of call is to raise it.
  • GMS 1.4: Not feasible for public projects now because of the 64-bit requirement that went into force at the beginning of the month (source). For private builds on personal devices, go to Global Game Settings > Android/Fire > General and raise Min SDK to at least 14 or 16.
  • GMS 2: Upgrade to 2.2.3 or higher, and go to Options > Android > General > Build Settings. As of the time of writing, target at least API Level 26 for private projects on personal devices, and 28 for public projects. The defaults for these target settings have a minimum SDK of 14 and 16 respectively.

rIKmAN

Why must you be so sarcastic and condescending?
Which part is sarcastic and condescending?
I just told you how to use Google to find a tutorial to help fix your problem, because it apparently didn't occur to you to do so.

Problem solving is a skill every programmer needs, and sure there are going to be problems that each and every one of us can't solve without help and advice from other community members, but the ability to use some initiative and do a a cursory Google search of an error message shouldn't be one of them.

@FrostyCat Ted said he's testing an Android Studio project so GMS/GMS2 instructions to change it won't help.

Last edited:
This is sarcastic and condescending. For the following reasons...
You know how to use Google though, right?
Search for "android studio change minsdk" and choose one of the results that guide you through how to change it with pictures.
*You know how to use Google though, righit?" My 60 year old stepfather knows how to use Google. The fact t hat I am on a programming forum also means that it is of a high percentage that I know what Google is and how to use it. So that statement was either sarcastic or you are completely ignorant of the internet and google's renown.

*Search for "android studio change minsdk" and choose one of the results that guide you through how to change it with pictures. *
There is a tendency for books to be simpler as you go down in agegroups. You reach a limit where books are primarily made up of pictures and few words. That tends to be in the early elementary age. By telling me to find one with pictures implies you are telling me to pick text that is of a simple nature, basically you are indirectly calling me stupid or inept.

I shouldn't have to explain this like I did.It is obvious you are being sarcastic and indirectly insulting me. DO me a favor and DON'T post on my threads. You don't provide anything fruitful and just pick fights I have the right not to be harassed. If you post another sarcrastic, negative post I will report you. Like I said I have the right to have a peaceful conversation.

-twraven

rIKmAN

This is sarcastic and condescending. For the following reasons...

*You know how to use Google though, righit?" My 60 year old stepfather knows how to use Google. The fact t hat I am on a programming forum also means that it is of a high percentage that I know what Google is and how to use it. So that statement was either sarcastic or you are completely ignorant of the internet and google's renown.

*Search for "android studio change minsdk" and choose one of the results that guide you through how to change it with pictures. *
There is a tendency for books to be simpler as you go down in agegroups. You reach a limit where books are primarily made up of pictures and few words. That tends to be in the early elementary age. By telling me to find one with pictures implies you are telling me to pick text that is of a simple nature, basically you are indirectly calling me stupid or inept.

I shouldn't have to explain this like I did.It is obvious you are being sarcastic and indirectly insulting me. DO me a favor and DON'T post on my threads. You don't provide anything fruitful and just pick fights I have the right not to be harassed. If you post another sarcrastic, negative post I will report you. Like I said I have the right to have a peaceful conversation.

-twraven
You’re right - you should know of Google - which is why it’s why it’s so puzzling that it wouldn’t occur to you to use it to find information on the error message that you you described as “gibberish”, when it is in fact an easily readable sentence that tells you exactly what to do.

It doesn’t really get any clearer than “Increase the projects minSDK to 14 or higher” when it comes to error messages, honestly.

The fact you got upset about me saying “use one with pictures” tells me you still haven’t bothered searching Google, because if you had you would see the many results which are tutorials on how to do it - some accompanied with pictures of the IDE in each step due to how complex Android Studio IDE navigation can be when trying to find settings hidden away a few menus deep.

Given that you described the error message above as “gibberish”, I suggested you follow one with accompanying pictures of the Android Studio IDE to make sure that you can easily follow it step by step rather than using a vague text description of the process.

If you want to twist my words into some form of harassment then that’s on you, there was no name calling or abuse of any sort and it appears to me to be a “peaceful conversation” with instructions on how you can solve this issue easily yourself with a little effort on your part - but take it how you want.

The only harassment I see going on here is you consistently wasting people’s time by not even bothering to do the most basic of Google searches, instruction following or common sense using before deciding the world owes you an answer for whatever you can’t be bothered to research yourself on any given day.

Didn’t you pull the bullying card and dramatically announce you were leaving the forum a few months ago when you threw a hissy fit in another thread full of people trying to help you without actually doing all the work for you

Ah yes, here it is: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/save-load-code.63525/page-2#post-388814

I’d suggest you re-read the post above and the post below the one of yours that I linked and take the advice on board - especially that from Nocturne - as it appears that 2mths later you are back with the same level of no effort, high expectancy and bad attitude.

Preferably re-read the whole thread and do some self reflection on why people responding to you don’t just give you the answers to your questions on a platter and why it makes you so angry that they expect you to put some effort in.

Feel free to report me whenever you like.
If I was PMing you out of the blue (like you have to me multiple times I might add) then I might agree with you, but when you post on a public forum I (and anyone else) have every right to reply to it and point out that you again have put zero effort into solving whatever the issue is before expecting people to take time out of their own days to give you an answer that you could have already found yourself if you bothered to even just do a basic Google search.

Rather than complaining, accusing everyone giving you the same advice of harassing you and getting angry that they aren’t giving you direct answers or exact code, maybe look into what it is they are actually trying to tell you.

Nobody on this forum has any problem helping people who get stuck after trying to help themselves and hitting a brick wall - me included believe it or not - but what you are repeatedly doing with your low effort posts shows a complete lack of respect for others people’s time and willingness to help others and I’m not the only one to point it out to you - are we all wrong?

Last edited:

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
To get some things straight...

When posting in this forum, you are expected to put in a minimum of effort on your own. Keep in mind that no matter what you do, unless you show that you've done so, there will be no way for members to tell that you did in fact try to resolve something by yourself. Failure to exert this self-initiative is highly frowned upon and will, rightfully so, net you some negative criticism. The opening post of this topic is essentially just an error message dump - there isn't even a question. Had you asked your actual question, namely this:
If you don't know what minSDK is that error message is just gibberish.
... from the get-go, I'm certain that the nature of the replies of this topic would have gone down a way different route.

Asking someone to look up terms they don't understand is a basic principle taught to students early on in this field, and it is in fact something that needs to be taught. There's nothing wrong with asking if you know how to conduct research - it's like asking someone if they know how to program, because quite often, on this community, you'll encounter people who don't, as our member base consists of a wide range of newbies and experienced users alike. It's not a simple concept by any means, as a human's question is not always the perfect fit for search engine terms, so they have to be chosen wisely.

The same goes for filtering out relevant search results and finding material that will sufficiently explain the topic at hand. The exact medium - text, images, videos - also matters, as different subjects may be easier to convey in one way or the other. If an error message which, under normal circumstances, tells someone who is familiar with the subject exactly what they need to do, appears like gibberish to you, it is by no means condescending to suggest to use a visual guide instead. Please take some time to analyze your own statements and responses and try to connect them like I did, as there is a reason for everything that has been said... and I can assure you that none of it is condescending in nature. It certainly appears to you like this - I'm not saying that's not the case - but also consider the reverse case of how you appear to others if you're going to take the way things appear to you at face value.

The opening post makes this topic appear like it was lazily written by someone who merely wants the community to solve problems for them. The primary goal of the GMC - helping people to help themselves - will likely be prioritized over providing solutions to problems when it seems apparent that a member has not exhausted all of their own resources yet. The end goal is not to help people solve their problems, but to help them gain the skills they need to solve their current - and future - problems on their own, without being reliant on the community.

Don't print the image of someone who dumps error messages on a forum and expects solutions on your own banner and you will be treated the way you desire.

I'm trying to get my GMS 2 project to run on an emulator via Android Studio. I was able to do a test project and it displayed the image in my test project perfectly fine. I tried it on my main project, followed the same steps and the emulator doesn't change over to the app.

I'm just learning this Android stuff so all of this is gibberish to me so I'm trying to learn as I go. oh...and the steps I took:

I installed the Android Studio. I used that to install Android SDK, NDK, and I also downloaded and installed JDK. I loaded the AVD Manager and opened up the emulator. (I think it was Pixel 28). I went back to GMS 2 and clicked on the pencil. I hit Remove Device and then Detect Device. The emulator shows up in its window.

Then I go to Build->Run and wait. Like I said in my Test Project at this point loads into emulator. My main project however, doesn't. Oh and I also adjusted the minSDK, am I missing something?

comment

The output is here:

Writing Chunk... STRG
Stats : GMA : Elapsed=231015.361
Stats : GMA : sp=635,au=114,bk=0,pt=42,sc=670,sh=2,fo=16,tl=0,ob=590,ro=114,da=15,ex=8,ma=12534,fm=0xD040B21D6EFE3EA0

X://bin/GMAssetCompiler.exe DONE (0)
Are We Connected?
device
Int Storage:
Ext Storage: /sdcard
device
Int Storage:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools\adb -s "emulator-5554" shell mkdir -p "/sdcard/GMstudio"

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools\adb DONE (0)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools\adb -s "emulator-5554" shell [ -d /sdcard/GMstudio ] && cd /sdcard/GMstudio; rm -r *;
rm: *: No such file or directory

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools\adb DONE (1)
device
Int Storage:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools\adb -s "emulator-5554" shell mkdir -p "/sdcard/GMstudio"

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools\adb -s "emulator-5554" shell rm -r "/sdcard/GMstudio/options.ini"
rm: /sdcard/GMstudio/options.ini: No such file or directory

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools\adb DONE (1)
Copying to Device...
C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools\adb -s "emulator-5554" push "Y:/Mario1.1.6_21A785E5_VM\GameAssetsDROID.zip" "/sdcard/GMstudio/GameAssetsDROID.zip"
adb: error: failed to copy 'Y:/Mario1.1.6_21A785E5_VM\GameAssetsDROID.zip' to '/sdcard/GMstudio/GameAssetsDROID.zip': remote write failed: No space left on device
Y:/Mario1.1.6_21A785E5_VM\GameAssetsDROID.zip: 0 files pushed. 4.2 MB/s (501420256 bytes in 114.095s)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools\adb exited with non-zero status (1)
elapsed time 00:06:45.9052311s for command "C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.2.3.344/bin/Igor.exe" -j=8 -options="C:\Users\ted_g\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\build.bff" -v -- Android Run started at 09/06/2019 18:20:33
"cmd" /c subst Z: /d
elapsed time 00:00:00.3430833s for command "cmd" /c subst Z: /d started at 09/06/2019 18:27:19
"cmd" /c subst Y: /d
elapsed time 00:00:00.0478749s for command "cmd" /c subst Y: /d started at 09/06/2019 18:27:19
"cmd" /c subst X: /d
elapsed time 00:00:00.0708102s for command "cmd" /c subst X: /d started at 09/06/2019 18:27:19
FAILED: Run Program Complete

Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools\adb -s "emulator-5554" shell rm -r "/sdcard/GMstudio/options.ini"
rm: /sdcard/GMstudio/options.ini: No such file or directory
I don't know why it's asking for sdcard/GMStudio/options.ini - I'm not using any storage in the emulator.

Code:
:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools\adb DONE (1)
Copying to Device...
C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools\adb -s "emulator-5554" push "Y:/Mario1.1.6_21A785E5_VM\GameAssetsDROID.zip" "/sdcard/GMstudio/GameAssetsDROID.zip"
adb: error: failed to copy 'Y:/Mario1.1.6_21A785E5_VM\GameAssetsDROID.zip' to '/sdcard/GMstudio/GameAssetsDROID.zip': remote write failed: No space left on device
Y:/Mario1.1.6_21A785E5_VM\GameAssetsDROID.zip: 0 files pushed. 4.2 MB/s (501420256 bytes in 114.095s)
Code:
: remote write failed: No space left on device
This doesn't make sense to me either. FIrst off, its running in an emulator, second off I have 112 GB free in my HD.

I'm not sure what the other stuff is either.By looking at the output it seems like its looking for an SDCard but I don't know how or why?

[EDIT]

I've come to realize that the SD Card error is saying that the emulator's SD Card, its either full or there is an issue with permissions. So scraped all through google and couldn't find a way change the size of the emulator SD Card. I checked the options and the pencil for the emulator and I couldn't find anywhere to change the SD Card size. I could use some help.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK,I guess I'm talking to myself here. LOL. For the record, I found out how to change the SD Card and Internal Storage settings for the emulators. In Android Studio, the AVD manager has little pencils for each of the emulators. Go into there and advanced settings and you can change the size of the storage.