Run unchanged Game again without re-compiling

mX273

Hi guys

I dlike to optimize the development time of my game a little bit.
  1. Is there a way to re-run a game without re-compiling the code, if i haven't changed anything? (This would sometimes save a lot time, when im testing the game)
  2. https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/how-to-optimize-compile-time.55267/
  3. In the link above i read how to optimize the compile time. There should be an option under preferences called "Enable backup on run/debug/create"... where can I find this in GMS2?

Thanks a lot!

S

spoonsinbunnies

as far as Im aware you could save an executable and open multiple instances, Or just set a key to restart your game. Im not aware of any other options.

C

CombatCalamity

If you only need to restart the game, why even close the game? Use game_restart() instead.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
If you have use of temporary drives disabled in Preferences, you could form the command line string to start up a copy of the game using parameter_* functions;

If you happen to use GMEdit, builder plugin has this exact option.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
If you only need to restart the game, why even close the game? Use game_restart() instead.
You can't game_restart() a game that has crashed or was closed intentionally, and we all know game_restart() is no replacement for a clean start.

This is why being able to start an unchanged game without rebuilding is so important.