GMC Jam Discussion The Thunderous 34th GMC Jam - Discussion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizmo199

Crunch time! I think my game is going to be shorter than I thought. :( Ran out of time overall. Of course the weekend of the jam I have had to work longer than normal shifts everyday. :( Oh well. Should still be okay. Gonna be a late night!

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I finally submitted my entry: Chemodynamics

titlescreen.png screenshot3.png

For this entry, I tried out an entirely new fire-and-forget architecture using my fake OOP engine and some tweening scripts, which made the animations a lot easier to implement than before. There are still some holes in the framework to work out (i.e. missing utility scripts), but I'm looking forward to the next time I get to use it to jam again. And perhaps then my newly purchased computer will be back from repairs (it had a defective fan and digitizer), I can also bring a higher standard of graphics and rapid prototyping into play.

I must admit that although the menu looks better than I hoped, the game itself didn't pan out as well. I was trying to see what variation I could do for the "block row puzzle" mobile game, but with every piece coming out of a single entry point in accordance with the Jam theme. Though the game did get to a playable stage, the result didn't stay fun for long. Furthermore, I ran out of time in the end for balancing it (so perhaps some of the difficulty levels are infeasible). Still, a playable entry is a playable entry, unlike my other 3 failed (and unpublished) entries.

Bart

WiseBart
My entry is in!

You can find it here: Spielcomm

No substantial improvements in gameplay compared to my last entry but hopefully a pretty fun yet short experience. Most things are working well and no known bugs.

Enjoy!

Micah_DS

One last giant (in dimensions, not size) GIF:
As usual, I'm cutting it close on time. It's pretty much complete, just in need of a few more levels, but it takes time to make 'good' ones, and I'm getting a bit tired. Whoooo~! But I'm having a good time. :)

R

Reaktori

Alright, we did it!
I have really never been active on this forum, and lately my motivation for game development in general has been alarmingly low. Fortunately I noticed this GMC Jam 34 and was like "Hey, why not?". I asked my friend Riuku to join the team, and here we are, proudly presenting our game master.hacker.pro to all of you! It was a lot of fun developing the game and I'm happy with the final product. The jam theme "single point of entry" led us to a hacking game with ports and passwords and we managed to develop most of the game during Saturday.

I hope you have fun playing our game!

P.S. You can blame me for the level design.

P

ParodyKnaveBob

Apparently, I was thinking it would magically appear in the jam's zip or something. Yeesh. Where to upload? It's deadline time.

I need to dredge up one of my old accounts it looks like...

EDIT: All right, got into my website easily enough. Uploaded there. I hope I followed the Player's guidelines correctly since I just used my previous entry (from years ago) as an example (since I saw it on my website, too). Nice, since I intend to close said website down before the year ends.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Moon_Alex

Hello everyone. We have made a game but I can't submit a download link in my entry post from google drive. What am to do?

Had some trouble logging into Dropbox which ate up my last 5 minutes :(
I didn't test my game out very much unfortunately, so the balance is terrible, I'm sorry in advance ^^'

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
As usual giving a tiny bit of wiggle room on the end deadline (already had 2 PMs from people who are having trouble posting links) but the voting topic is now open for anyone who wants to stake their claim to a post.

Micah_DS

I had to make a quick change and recompile because the enemy behavior changed when I compiled it , which made it impossible to beat a certain level. :eek: Very glad I tested it again.
I also fixed a repeated "THE THE" in the text. That's all though. It was 15 minutes past the deadline. I figure it's all good, but I'm just putting it out there anyway.
I also included a thumbnail, but it's 128x128 and I'm unsure if that's correct, or if thumbnails matter.

Had some trouble logging into Dropbox which ate up my last 5 minutes :(
SAME. Oof.

Gizmo199

Whew! Got it done in time. The ending is a little sloppy but it works. I hope someone can find the secret ending I put in there!

Micah_DS

I'm actually shocked (in a good way) at the turn out! There was so little discussion compared to previous jams. That's awesome!
... and it's 6 AM here and I have work tomorrow... not as awesome, but worth it.

For me it was because Dropbox had changed recently and it wasn't loading my saved login or letting me hit the sign in button...
I'm not sure what it was on my end, but it seemed like the saved password auto-completed wrong. I had to type it in manually. 100% sure it was the same password though, so that was odd.

P

ParodyKnaveBob

While adding a second screenshot to my entry post, I noticed different options labeled "makes mistakes" and "misses stuff" -- yes, yes, meaning basically the same thing. $F^ , (lol) I had to label it something, and of course the menu got jammed in (pun!) last minute, and I expected "misses victory opportunities" would be a bit too long. $:^ P

@GameDevDan (or anyone else who knows for sure), do we still get a single ZIP file with all the entries, or has that been done away with? If yes to ZIP, I'll wait for it to play, review, and vote.

N

Nacky Slocker

@NackySlocker I somehow don't think this is what you intended that we see at that link.
You know, I think google hates me.
Let's see if this works
PopcornScreen.png
Thanks Mercenaries, hopefully this works... Just to make sure, what is the level number?

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff

For now, it still includes the traditional Jam Player. The new version is still in the works, and maybe till the end of this week I'll manage to release a beta of sorts, based on the GMC Jam 34 entries but using the new player logic. The core contents of the ZIP (i.e. the entries) should be perfectly compatible with the new Jam Player, so there won't be a need to re-download a 280 MB ZIP again. ^^

Reactions: KPJ

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Man, seems like I missed this jam incredibly closely. Ah well, was kinda out of commission due to migraine this weekend, so I probably couldn't have produced any cool games anyway...

HayManMarc

Another build: https://www.dropbox.com/s/djpemc83gxfe9x5/GMC Jam Entry Packager.zip?dl=0

Changes since last build:
- fixed an important bug with importing ZIP files (specifically, the ZIPs with files packaged directly, rather than inside a folder)
- added link button to the Post Link
- added Team Name field
- added message after successful exporting and also set default directory and filename for the ZIP saving window
@Alice --- is this the most recent build? Oh! Nevermind, I see it's already in the Games Zip.

Last edited:

Micah_DS

I'm not sure if anyone is interested, but in place of my devlog for 'The POrtal', I put together a time-lapse of the development process:
Details (and excuses) are in the video description.

(INSERT EDIT: One other thing I just realized though is that my actual development time was about 18-20 hours)

I've uploaded a Post-Jam version with a major bug fix in my game where some sprites weren't getting drawn.
The main jam version is there too, in the same shared folder.
I'm pretty new here so I don't know if that's allowed, I've lableled it post-jam though. Will delete if it's not allowed.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nnUrZ80iqQAjQlPx13H8eiCohi4hRaWk
Not a problem at all. :) It's not uncommon for people to share post-jam versions, even before voting is over. Of course, I always vote on the submitted versions, out of respect and fairness (probably the same for everyone?), but it's great to see post-jam versions, for such reasons as you stated, because sometimes the submission will fall flat or be unbeatable due to a bug or a failed crunch, so getting to play a game as it was intended is nice.

I tend to save post-jam versions until after I'm done playing and voting on the submissions, but I've saved your post-jam version for later. ;)

Last edited:

Gizmo199

Spent all morning and half an afternoon playing through all 30 games! Got them votes outta the way nice and quick so I can get back to work (yay) https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/gmc-jam-34-voting-topic.66803/#post-398708
Thanks for the review! Yeah I didn't want to spend a lot of time on graphics (and I have been playing baba is you a lot lately! Haha) so I was like "it's a jam, imma just rip the style" haha. Glad you enjoyed it! :) I am excited to see what you have working! :DD

R

Reaktori

Spent all morning and half an afternoon playing through all 30 games! Got them votes outta the way nice and quick so I can get back to work (yay)
Hey, thanks for the review! Always makes me feel great when I get feedback on my games!

I didn't get very far though, stuck on level 6 as I didn't understand what I was supposed to do with all the upper and lower case As? I assume I was meant to get them to follow me somehow but couldn't figure it out.
You are supposed to enter the password AAaaAA to the goal port in correct order, which you can only do if you use the on/off switch in the middle of the room. There are actually a total of 23 levels in the game and I have to say, I'm very proud how good most of them turned out! Especially because it's my first time making a puzzle game :D Too bad you didn' t get to try the good ones out!

BTW, it takes around 30-60 minutes to finish our game on first try! My personal record is around 7 minutes! If you get under 30 mins, you get the special ending! I hope someone here manages to do that ;)

M

MikeDark_x

Unnamed by MikeDark_x

I defeated the Lich at the end and immediately the game threw a fatal error. The controls were a bit odd, A, D, Space and Mouse? I kept wanting to press W to jump, which could have worked since the button wasn't being used for anything else. The graphics were nice, but on the whole it feels a bit unfinished.
Hmmm I'm actually surprised at the bug after playtesting it about 8 times before posting it... trying death and win multiple times too attempting to find and root all the bugs... hmmm I should have tried it on other computers though I don't have others I can access atm, but bug after defeating the lich... the one big bug I had with one version before posting it was when dying... but found the issue and fixed it, replayed a few times after that to check if there were others too... well will go check if I get said bug and probably the reason, time to replay it again... wait... if the game just closed with no message... if you pressed any key after beating it and leaving the room it was not a bug, I just left the exit to press any key after that... should have done the same as in death where only esc closed it I guess... mistakes were made

And yea now that I think I picked a sorta odd control scheme... I could indeed have used W to jump now that you mention it...

pixeltroid

Hmmm I'm actually surprised at the bug after playtesting it about 8 times before posting it... trying death and win multiple times too attempting to find and root all the bugs... hmmm I should have tried it on other computers though I don't have others I can access atm, but bug after defeating the lich... the one big bug I had with one version before posting it was when dying... but found the issue and fixed it, replayed a few times after that to check if there were others too... well will go check if I get said bug and probably the reason, time to replay it again... wait... if the game just closed with no message... if you pressed any key after beating it and leaving the room it was not a bug, I just left the exit to press any key after that... should have done the same as in death where only esc closed it I guess... mistakes were made

And yea now that I think I picked a sorta odd control scheme... I could indeed have used W to jump now that you mention it...
I killed the end boss and exited the room and saw the end message. I didn't get an error message.

However, if I died and pressed space I got an error message:

Code:
############################################################################################
FATAL ERROR in
action number 1
of Key Press Event for <any key> Key
for object typewriter0:
Moving to next room after the last room.
at gml_Object_typewriter0_KeyPress_1
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Object_typewriter0_KeyPress_1 (line -1)

Toque

Its great watching videos of people playing my game so I decided to video myself playing your games. But.......... After three hours I could not record a single video.. Audio if fine but video is just blank.

Problems are
I haven't used much windows machines since windows 98.
Borrowed windows 7 laptop.
Pouring through tutorials googling forums trying their "solutions"
Tried Bandi, and OBS......

Im almost given up the idea but will search again at work and see..........

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
Its great watching videos of people playing my game so I decided to video myself playing your games. But.......... After three hours I could not record a single video.. Audio if fine but video is just blank.

Problems are
I haven't used much windows machines since windows 98.
Borrowed windows 7 laptop.
Pouring through tutorials googling forums trying their "solutions"
Tried Bandi, and OBS......

Im almost given up the idea but will search again at work and see..........
Is the video you're getting just plain white? Sometimes (depending on version of GameMaker) games in fullscreen will not be recorded by video recorders (and also will appear white when you use a screenshot software like lightshot).

Try playing the game not in fullscreen if you haven't tried already.

Toque

Is the video you're getting just plain white? Sometimes (depending on version of GameMaker) games in fullscreen will not be recorded by video recorders (and also will appear white when you use a screenshot software like lightshot).

Try playing the game not in fullscreen if you haven't tried already.

YES. But black yes. Funny that was my current running hypothesis today.

Being a Mac person I’m finding navigating through things slow and awkward.
Googling “windows 7 how to switch from full screen to window”.
I minimize a window. Where the h e double hockey stick is it now?..........

It’s embarrassing really. “No honest I spent 8 years in university. “.

Will try again tonight. Thanks!

Last edited:

Mercerenies

OK I wasted faaaar too much of my time playing this XD proper decent game this is. Happy to say I beat your mech in an online battle :D although I probably wouldn't if it was actual PvP, it was a nice touch including that aspect in your game (also means you can sneakily keep tabs on who bothered to use all the features). I have two main criticisms: 1 - would prefer a different control method to mouse. Bashing the hell out of the left and right buttons hasn't done mine any good. 2 - the offline characters give too little money for the amount of effort put it. The only one it actually makes sense to fight is the lowest one, because you can beat it so much faster than the rest that you can always build up money quicker just by knocking him about a bit.
@GameDevDan Yeah, the online multiplayer was the first thing I thought of for this game. The rest of the mechanics were built around it, so I'm very happy I had the time to include that. I did briefly consider using two keys for left/right punching and just having the player always punch straight forward. The offline rewards were a lot lower to start: each mech was worth 50 more than the previous, so One True Bot (the last one) rewarded a worthless 700. I upped them a bit, but I agree with you that they should still be higher. Didn't have too much time to balance the economics of it. Personally, when I was grinding to get the parts for my mech, I found Chromelord (the first one) to be the best cash cow. A few solid hits on his hollow defenseless torso, and he's done. Thanks for playing!

@ParodyKnaveBob That... was very in depth. Wow! Clearly, the addictive nature of my game works, seeing how many times you quit and came back. :p Anyway, sorry to hear you had so much controls trouble. I never intended the game be played with a touchpad, so that must've been difficult. And I'm not sure what kept happening to your right mouse button, but I never had that problem when I was playing at least. The two arms function completely independently, and each has a 15-frame (0.25-second) cooldown after a punch, so there shouldn't be anything near the delay you were seeing. Also, I'm glad to see someone found a use for guarding. I personally never used that function when I was playing, as it just made me move too slow for my tastes, but it seems to have done wonders for you. Thank you for playing!

Micah_DS

I really like the presentation and the *idea* behind this, but I can't get my head around what direction each warp portal goes in? Maybe my brain is just being silly here, but the rules on where a portal will throw you out don't seem that intuitive in cases, especially when it gets harder and the portals are blocked by solid boxes and pushable boxes. Still it's a decent game.
Short, yet very useful feedback. Much appreciated.
I probably could've improved on the transfer mechanic greatly by making a sort of trajectory arrow appear on the exit portal when near the entry portal. Aw well.

M

MikeDark_x

I killed the end boss and exited the room and saw the end message. I didn't get an error message.

However, if I died and pressed space I got an error message:

Code:
FATAL ERROR in
action number 1
of Key Press Event for <any key> Key
for object typewriter0:
Moving to next room after the last room.
at gml_Object_typewriter0_KeyPress_1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Object_typewriter0_KeyPress_1 (line -1)
... that's... that's the death bug I supposedly fixed pre... I uploaded the wrong version?!

@GameDevDan Thanks for the comments, glad you thought the art was ok! Initially my concept was much more complicated where you had to take into account dress code, potential trouble makers, and accepting bribes, etc. But I quickly realised I did not have enough time and pulled it back as far as I could. I think the big problem I had in the end was balance, as even I have a hard time keeping track and beating it now.

@ParodyKnaveBob Thanks for the video playthrough, very helpful. (And yeah, Siolfor is correct, basically just "Silver")
Oh man, my splash screen... I forgot I disabled the timer to automatically progress it, i didn't think anyone would stop and wait for it to do something!
One thing i noticed at the end was you seemed confused when you won. Probably easy to forget but you're told at the start that the win condition is that the club closes is two minutes. So you just have to play for two minutes.

Watching you start the game confirmed all my fears haha. You do have to quickly let in a bunch of people at first, and then keep it filled, I didn't want to over explain in the screen before because I personally will forget info if there's too much.
You found the best way to win by cheesing it haha, just letting in people indiscriminately. Unfortunately I set some rules up poorly so it becomes a bit too difficult to play it properly(which is a shame because that's sort of the easiest way to play it)

The clicker was implemented pretty late, but it never bugged out on me, I can't think of any reason it would change bu itself... Did you have a controller plugged in by any chance?

Sorry about the audio, I intended to write an actual song for it but I wanted it to sync with the bouncing of the sprites, and I ran out of time so I just had the drum track in there. Figured it was better than nothing.
Oh and damn haha, somehow you triggered the fail condition after the win condition! Impressive! I thought I had it set to stop that but I guess I missed something!
Thanks again for the video, very helpful to see people play.

If anyone is interested, I'll explain the sort of broken rules of my game:
Firstly, after an initial timer ends, if the club capacity is less than a third, that will trigger a warning, and if by the end of the timer, the venue is still below a third capacity, that's your first fail condition.
The second is if you are over capacity by at least one person, it will trigger the same 8 beat warning and if it's still over capacity when the timer runs out, fail again.
There are some sort of hidden rules I hint at in the How To screen:
  • If the venue capacityis below half, anyone who enters will only stay for a short time.
  • If it goes over half, everyone in there will get a boost to their timers and stay a bit longer.
  • If capacity is already over half, anyone going in will stay longer already.
  • If the ratio of men to women is too high(around 75% men to 25% women) then any women inside will leave.
  • If there are no women and only men, all the men will start to leave.
I think that's it. The problem in the end was the timers are a bit too quick which makes it a bit hard to keep track. I really thought this idea would be simple enough for the limited time I had ^^'

P

ParodyKnaveBob

(No eternal condemnation re: win+fail conditions, but otherwise, I'm glad you appreciated!)

@ParodyKnaveBob Thanks for the video playthrough, very helpful. (And yeah, Siolfor is correct, basically just "Silver")
Oh man, my splash screen... I forgot I disabled the timer to automatically progress it, i didn't think anyone would stop and wait for it to do something!
One thing i noticed at the end was you seemed confused when you won. Probably easy to forget but you're told at the start that the win condition is that the club closes is two minutes. So you just have to play for two minutes.

Watching you start the game confirmed all my fears haha. You do have to quickly let in a bunch of people at first, and then keep it filled, I didn't want to over explain in the screen before because I personally will forget info if there's too much.
You found the best way to win by cheesing it haha, just letting in people indiscriminately. Unfortunately I set some rules up poorly so it becomes a bit too difficult to play it properly(which is a shame because that's sort of the easiest way to play it)

The clicker was implemented pretty late, but it never bugged out on me, I can't think of any reason it would change bu itself... Did you have a controller plugged in by any chance?

Sorry about the audio, I intended to write an actual song for it but I wanted it to sync with the bouncing of the sprites, and I ran out of time so I just had the drum track in there. Figured it was better than nothing.
Oh and [PKB snip] haha, somehow you triggered the fail condition after the win condition! Impressive! I thought I had it set to stop that but I guess I missed something!
Thanks again for the video, very helpful to see people play.

If anyone is interested, I'll explain the sort of broken rules of my game:
Firstly, after an initial timer ends, if the club capacity is less than a third, that will trigger a warning, and if by the end of the timer, the venue is still below a third capacity, that's your first fail condition.
The second is if you are over capacity by at least one person, it will trigger the same 8 beat warning and if it's still over capacity when the timer runs out, fail again.
There are some sort of hidden rules I hint at in the How To screen:
  • If the venue capacityis below half, anyone who enters will only stay for a short time.
  • If it goes over half, everyone in there will get a boost to their timers and stay a bit longer.
  • If capacity is already over half, anyone going in will stay longer already.
  • If the ratio of men to women is too high(around 75% men to 25% women) then any women inside will leave.
  • If there are no women and only men, all the men will start to leave.
I think that's it. The problem in the end was the timers are a bit too quick which makes it a bit hard to keep track. I really thought this idea would be simple enough for the limited time I had ^^'
While reading your opening info, indeed, I'd forgotten the timer was written in there; I'd concentrated more on the rules. I'd figured correctly for a bunch of them, although your exact behavior for too many men I didn't guess and is pretty hilarious. $E^ D

No controller. Just a laptop keyboard + touchpad. Makes me wonder if I somehow accidentally triggered the false clicks myself if you have no code to do any such thing.

Welp, all righty, it's 2:30 UTC Thursday, thus time to start my next batch! $:^ ]

Yeah, the clicker has very minimal code, just up and down buttons to increase or decrease the counter. No other object interacts with it, so if you weren't accidentally pressing those then I have no idea how it happened!

P

ParodyKnaveBob

Tic-Tac-Toe by ParodyKnaveBob

A game of Tic-Tac-Toe. It's functional, but doesn't present much of a challenge as I always managed to beat the AI.
Yay, functional! $:^ D

And yeah, it wouldn't be too hard to up the difficulty one more notch to look for winning opportunities, too. Just time was all. (The final level of difficulty -- actively trying to trap you like a human -- I already expected wasn't going to happen, though. As the included source code shows, the highest difficulty in the jam entry was only the mid-level intended, but I had to stop.) Definitely nicer in the end to get to play with two real people.

Did you read my README and AFTERWORD stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.