• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

iOS Compile issue: no device found [SOLVED!]

Hi,

I have followed the steps in the guide below.

https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001368747-Setting-Up-For-iOS

GM:S2 is connecting to my Macbook, so that part works. However, I can't seem to compile because of "no iOS device found."
This is true, as I presently lack any iOS device. But previously (in GM:S1) I was always able to hit "compile YYC" and Xcode would open on my Macbook and I could do the rest there.
Why doesn't it work? Can I still do this, or is there other steps to be done?

chirpy

Have you tried checking "suppress build and run" under file->preferences->platform settings->iOS? It says it'd only create the xcode project on mac if enabled. I was able to use CocoaPods on the generated xcode project this way.

Have you tried checking "suppress build and run" under file->preferences->platform settings->iOS? It says it'd only create the xcode project on mac if enabled. I was able to use CocoaPods on the generated xcode project this way.
Hi! I tried tick that box, but now it says "FAILED : Package Program Complete"...

Is the latest version of GM:S2 compatible with MAC OS Mojave? Should I upgrade to that? Not having it installed won't allow me to use the latest version of Xcode.

Also, is there a way for me to check if GM:S2 and Xcode are even communicating?

G

Updating MacOS and Xcode to the latest versions is a good idea. If it still fails, post the full log with code/spoiler tags.

Updating MacOS and Xcode to the latest versions is a good idea. If it still fails, post the full log with code/spoiler tags.
Hi. I have updated to OS mojave & Xcode ver. 10.3.

Still doesn't work, though. Here is the log from the compiler:

Code:
Loading project 'C:\Users\Fredrik\Desktop\gms2_projects\run3\run3.yyp'
Loading project '${base_project}'
Verifying views...
...done
Added config default
Saving project to: C:\Users\Fredrik\Desktop\gms2_projects\run3\run3.yyp
Saving 31 resources
"C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.2.3.344/bin/Igor.exe"  -password="xxx" -username="xxx" -hostname="xxx.xxx.x.x" -- Test Test

elapsed time 00:00:01.3952097s for command "C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.2.3.344/bin/Igor.exe" -password="xxx" -username="xxx" -hostname="xxx.xxx.x.x" -- Test Test started at 08/10/2019 18:15:37
Connection successful!
"C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.2.3.344/bin/Igor.exe"  -of="C:\Users\Fredrik\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\devices.json" -d="Freds MacBook" -uf="C:\Users\Fredrik\AppData\Roaming/GameMakerStudio2\fp_1280" -rp="C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.2.3.344" -- ios DetectDevices

Options: C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.2.3.344\bin\platform_setting_defaults.json
Options: C:\Users\Fredrik\AppData\Roaming/GameMakerStudio2\fp_1280\local_settings.json
Release build
mkdir -p ~/.ssh
cat ~/.ssh/authorized_keys
pwd
pscp C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.2.3.344/ios/mobiledevice /tmp
chmod +x /tmp/mobiledevice && /tmp/mobiledevice list_devices
Igor complete.
elapsed time 00:00:03.9998052s for command "C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.2.3.344/bin/Igor.exe" -of="C:\Users\Fredrik\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\devices.json" -d="Freds MacBook" -uf="C:\Users\Fredrik\AppData\Roaming/GameMakerStudio2\fp_1280" -rp="C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.2.3.344" -- ios DetectDevices started at 08/10/2019 18:15:39
"C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.2.3.344/bin/Igor.exe"  -of="C:\Users\Fredrik\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\simulators.json" -d="Freds MacBook" -uf="C:\Users\Fredrik\AppData\Roaming/GameMakerStudio2\fp_1280" -rp="C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.2.3.344" -- ios DetectSimulators

Options: C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.2.3.344\bin\platform_setting_defaults.json
Options: C:\Users\Fredrik\AppData\Roaming/GameMakerStudio2\fp_1280\local_settings.json
Release build
mkdir -p ~/.ssh
cat ~/.ssh/authorized_keys
pwd
xcrun simctl list
xcrun: error: active developer path ("/Users/relicplay/Desktop/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer") does not exist
Use `sudo xcode-select --switch path/to/Xcode.app` to specify the Xcode that you wish to use for command line developer tools, or use `xcode-select --install` to install the standalone command line developer tools.
See `man xcode-select` for more details.
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
   at Igor.iOSBuilder.DetectSimulators()
Igor complete.
elapsed time 00:00:03.1599736s for command "C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.2.3.344/bin/Igor.exe" -of="C:\Users\Fredrik\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\simulators.json" -d="Freds MacBook" -uf="C:\Users\Fredrik\AppData\Roaming/GameMakerStudio2\fp_1280" -rp="C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.2.3.344" -- ios DetectSimulators started at 08/10/2019 18:15:43
FAILED : Package Program Complete
"cmd"  /c subst Z: "C:\Users\Fredrik\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE"

elapsed time 00:00:00.4251312s for command "cmd" /c subst Z: "C:\Users\Fredrik\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE" started at 08/10/2019 18:16:24
"cmd"  /c subst Y: "C:\Users\Fredrik\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP"

elapsed time 00:00:00.0502105s for command "cmd" /c subst Y: "C:\Users\Fredrik\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP" started at 08/10/2019 18:16:25
"cmd"  /c subst X: "C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.2.3.344"

elapsed time 00:00:00.0396341s for command "cmd" /c subst X: "C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.2.3.344" started at 08/10/2019 18:16:25
"cmd"  /c subst Z: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.0429418s for command "cmd" /c subst Z: /d started at 08/10/2019 18:16:25
"cmd"  /c subst Y: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.0399334s for command "cmd" /c subst Y: /d started at 08/10/2019 18:16:25
"cmd"  /c subst X: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.0397601s for command "cmd" /c subst X: /d started at 08/10/2019 18:16:25

It does seem to me as if GM:S2 is trying to find Xcode on the Mac's desktop. But that was an old version that I deleted, so it no longer exist. I have the most recent one installed, but it's located in launchpad.
If this is the issue, how do I point GM:S2 to that version of Xcode instead?

Thanks!

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I'm also on Mojave with XCode 10.3, and last weekend I also ripped up an old XCode to reinstall the new version and ran into the same issue. This was what I had to do to get past that particular error:
Code:
xcode-select --install
sudo xcode-select --switch /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools
Originally I would have been able to install the command line tools from within the XCode interface, but Apple seems to have removed that sometime after XCode 8. In any case, I think this is a new step that isn't on the current official setup instructions page.

I can't verify the build process any further as I'm not in the Apple Developer program, but hopefully this can get you far enough to at least see the devices and open the generated XCode project.

I'm also on Mojave with XCode 10.3, and last weekend I also ripped up an old XCode to reinstall the new version and ran into the same issue. This was what I had to do to get past that particular error:
Code:
xcode-select --install
Originally I would have been able to install the command line tools from within the XCode interface, but Apple seems to have removed that sometime after XCode 8. In any case, I think this is a new step that isn't on the current official setup instructions page.

I can't verify the build process any further as I'm not in the Apple Developer program, but hopefully this can get you far enough to at least see the devices and open the generated XCode project.

Thanks for the info. The commands inside your codeblock above, are those commands I should type in someplace on my Macbook?

They are commands for you to type into the Terminal. Learn how to use it.
I did open the terminal, then typed the 1st line:
xcode-select --install

I installed the command line tools. Then in terminal, I typed:

Still, in GM:S2, when I go into Device Editor and hit "detect device," it says "Connection successful - No devices found."

In preferences, my MacOS install path is ~/GameMakerStudio/ios

Should I try change that one?

Ok, this particular issue seems to have been resolved now. This is what I did:

1. Followed FrostyCat's suggestion and typed the commands in the terminal:

Code:
xcode-select --install
2. I opened Xcode > Preferences > Locations. Here, the Command Line Tools field was blank, so I had to choose it from the list. After that, GM:S2 did find the simulators.

So if anyone else got this issue, try the solution above.

Thanks to all who helped!

RizbIT

no its not always....

i updated mac and macos and xcode now it gms wont connect to it (known issue.....)

they said they workaround was install and use their gms for Mac, did that, took ages and many tries

now gms2 on mac does not find the connected iphone

sucks (alot)