Neither Day nor Night - bloody adventure platformer

C

Crask

Hi, I want to share with you a teaser of the game I'm working on. It's also my first game I'm willing to release. At first I thought it would take me 1.5 year but after 4 years - here I am, hoping that 2020 will be the time of release.

The Adventure of a girl trying to find her younger sister in a mysterious and bloody world. Use your skills to avoid obstacles, enemies, traps. Make your way through by thinking and doing - exactly in that order! Anyway, prepare to die a lot - seriously.

STORY:
I can't reveal too much about the storyline.
The story of this game is similar to life - the longer you live the more you know about it, or at least you can allow yourself to make such a conclusion.
Let me present you the first card from this story deck.

The game begins with the presence of two sisters who live under an unusual, common roof.
One night, the rays of light coming from outside the apartment awakens the older sister.
It turns out that the younger sister disappeared. Escaped? Was she kidnapped?
What was the light of the day in the middle of the night?

What is the truth - and do you need to know it?
Let's get started.

KEY FEATURES:
- Addictive storyline
- Mysterious sceneries and opponents
- Attack, avoid and use the environment to survive
- Endurance bar is being consumed on jumps, attacks, hanging from the edges, etc. When you are exhausted, you will be defenceless against the harsh environment
- You die bloody, often and in various ways
- Blood is drawn on surroundings in real time
- 4 Unique Worlds
- Secrets and additional locations to discover

DESIGN PILLARS:
- Progressive difficulty level
- Bloody and mysterious
- Difficult, but fair
- Game of skill

Please check the teaser and follow me on social media if you'd like to support me in this process!

Youtube: (teaser):
Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1167380/Neither_Day_nor_Night
Twitter: https://twitter.com/CarnotaurusTeam
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/carnotaurusteam
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/NeitherDayNorNight
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/carnotaurus.team

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful artwork. Love the title. And just remember, there have been a lot of people that have coded their way out of bad situations or soul-crushing day jobs. Maybe not a huge percentage of the people who try, but enough to show that its definitely possible. Good luck with this. It has a lot of potential.

pixeltroid

Your game looks excellent! Beautiful dream like visuals. The action and animations are also superb. I wish you the very best on your game.
I've followed you on twitter BTW!

C

Crask

Beautiful artwork. Love the title. And just remember, there have been a lot of people that have coded their way out of bad situations or soul-crushing day jobs. Maybe not a huge percentage of the people who try, but enough to show that its definitely possible. Good luck with this. It has a lot of potential.
You're a wonderful human being. Thank you.

C

Crask

Your game looks excellent! Beautiful dream like visuals. The action and animations are also superb. I wish you the very best on your game.
I've followed you on twitter BTW!
You're comment is more than I think of it. I wish you the best with your project!

curato

Seems like the back half of the trailer is the player dying is that integral to how the game works? Game looks great, but teaser wise I would so progression

C

Crask

Seems like the back half of the trailer is the player dying is that integral to how the game works? Game looks great, but teaser wise I would so progression
Depending on enemy or objects dead scenes are different for player and enemy. I just wanted to show a lot in the teaser in short period of time. The game is more like Prince Of Persia (2D) combined with Bloody Traplands combined with Anorher World if I would have compare it to something. It's all about finding way out but even the simplest obstacles can give you a hard time crossing them.

JackTurbo

This project looks really promising. Great work so far!

I'd agree that the number of player deaths in the trailer seems a little odd unless dieing is a key mechanic some how. It looks like you've got some really satisfying death effects which look great so understand the desire to show them off. I'd consider removing some from the trailer and instead use the footage as GIFs for social media posts instead. Just my thoughts on the matter though, you guys need to do what you feel is right.

I've followed you on Twitter and look forward to seeing the project develop!

C

Crask

This project looks really promising. Great work so far!

I'd agree that the number of player deaths in the trailer seems a little odd unless dieing is a key mechanic some how. It looks like you've got some really satisfying death effects which look great so understand the desire to show them off. I'd consider removing some from the trailer and instead use the footage as GIFs for social media posts instead. Just my thoughts on the matter though, you guys need to do what you feel is right.

I've followed you on Twitter and look forward to seeing the project develop!
I totally agree with you about the number of deaths. Maybe I wanted to show off a little bit too much. Nevertheless it's just a teaser. When time will come the trailer will be more about the gameplay. Thank you for your precious comment!

Kyon

Whoa this looks cool!
Love the character/enemy designs and art.
I'm really drawn towards that "enemy-hit effect". What's really happening? Some sort of small screen distortion where you hit the enemy?

Followed on twitter. Good luck! :)

C

Crask

One of the new world transition cutscenes (uploaded from gif to Youtube):

C

Crask

I think I've just finished whole island of dune levels. Next stop is swamp island.

ReidDC

Art direction looks good! Also I like gore systems in games as long as they're not over the top. Yours looks like a good in between.

C

Crask

This is nothing short of a work of art.

I feel like you should be hired to lead a team to reboot Megaman and Ninja Gaiden.
Spot-on! But after this project I would love to take a break for a couple of months just to do nothing... :)

C

Crask

Yrbiax

Hey, i tried your game.

Very beautiful graphics. It was bit disturbing at first when suddenly this girl explodes into pieces when grapichs were looking so cute :D
Platforming was definitely challenging from the start. Ended up dying quite alot.

Wall jumping felt bit akward at first. It seemed like you had to jump of the wall almost immediately otherwise you wouldnt bounce properly.
Mosquitos at the end seemed to require really precise timing. Ended up missing so many hits that i felt that i should have hit.
neither.png

C

Crask

Hey, i tried your game.

Very beautiful graphics. It was bit disturbing at first when suddenly this girl explodes into pieces when grapichs were looking so cute :D
Platforming was definitely challenging from the start. Ended up dying quite alot.

Wall jumping felt bit akward at first. It seemed like you had to jump of the wall almost immediately otherwise you wouldnt bounce properly.
Mosquitos at the end seemed to require really precise timing. Ended up missing so many hits that i felt that i should have hit.
View attachment 29998
Thanks for playing the demo! The wall jumping at first might feel hard, but they are kind of physics-based. Good thing that you mentioned the mosquitos. I think that I'll fix hitting those mosquitos.