hotel keyless handles

RizbIT

hey out of curiousity you know in hotels you have those keyless door handles where you swipe a keycard and it unlocks the door and you can enter?

great right but do the handles work off a battery as they are electronic...so do the handles have built in batteries? if yes what happens to the handle when youre outside and the battery runs out

pipebkOT

the lock system is electronic not the handle:D, if it runs out of batery, the door will not open with the card since it has not power to read it.
in that case the person would need to call the hotel manager and tell them to replace the bateries.

this types of electronic hotel locks still have normal keyholes hidden , but are used by the hotel staff only

L

Lonewolff

It depends on the lock. Some models will unlock as a safety precaution.

Having 1000 people die in an inferno because a battery ran out is never a good look for a company.

Roa

It depends on the lock. Some models will unlock as a safety precaution.

Having 1000 people die in an inferno because a battery ran out is never a good look for a company.
they only lock one way lol

Also, I hate those 💩💩💩💩ing things. I don't know if they are better else where, or people just don't notice them as much because most people stay at most 3 days in a place like that, but here, in my experience, they are unreliable as 💩💩💩💩. You get them too close next to a debit card, cell phone, microwave, or even tap it too hard against something and it corrupts the key on the card, and you have to get it re-burned. Literally anything emitting induction, cross talk, or electromagnetic interference within a few inches and they 💩💩💩💩 out. They're 💩💩💩💩ing worthless.

I stayed in a cheap motel while I was at the end of being homeless for 3 months, and I probably had to get the damn thing re-burned about 2-3 times a week, including the once a week keycode swap. That's 2-3 times too many to walk up to bitchy and unlikable motel front desk staff.

its like "I'm basically living here, just give me a normal key you dumbass so we don't have to keep ruining each other's day"

Last edited:

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Also, I hate those...[snip]
I agree. The plastic card technology started badly and hasn't improved much.

Some larger hotel chains are going full wireless now. Guests get a pass code that works with their mobile phones. In some hotels, you don't even check in at the front desk. Just provide billing information when you make a reservation, and they send a pass code that starts working on your arrival date.

Seems to work well, the few times I've used it.

Lumenflower

Yellow Dog
These electronic locks can be self powered. I know for a fact that some key-driven ones can power themselves through the action of inserting and twisting the key, but I don't know if any equivalent exists for card-swipe ones. That said, I think that any locks produced nowadays that are advanced enough to be self-powering will not bother using the swipecard system - it's becoming redundant anyway in most situations.

RizbIT

strangly enough yesterday, speaking of locking door handles, placed vacuum in store cupboard, which somehow fell back onto the door, and assumed it landed directly under the handle, which then meant i couldnt actually open the door as the handle was stuck with vacuum under it...and no other way in....

but i found a workaround...

Roa

strangly enough yesterday, speaking of locking door handles, placed vacuum in store cupboard, which somehow fell back onto the door, and assumed it landed directly under the handle, which then meant i couldnt actually open the door as the handle was stuck with vacuum under it...and no other way in....

but i found a workaround...
ahhh, this reminds me of my teen days when I would just climb through people's windows to get into their house...

No I didn't steal anything. Actually, the police asked me to do it once for a wellness check lol. I've always been a bit agile and somewhat acrobatic. I actually did this a lot though.

Mercerenies

ahhh, this reminds me of my teen days when I would just climb through people's windows to get into their house...

No I didn't steal anything. Actually, the police asked me to do it once for a wellness check lol. I've always been a bit agile and somewhat acrobatic. I actually did this a lot though.
Ah, yes, the early 2000's, when this wouldn't have been incredibly creepy. Those were simpler times.

Now it's bracelets and not key cards. The bracelets let you swipe to use money too that gets put on your credit card or taken out of an account that you prepurchase for let's say $100 and you get back the remaining amount that you didn't spend when you check out.