• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Game Mechanics Falling back on Match-3

I have "something" of a game idea, but I'm not sure on the best way to approach it. It would be something of a combat-oriented RPG mixed with dating sim (don't ask...), but it's been a bit of a challenge. Ideally, I'd have a single set of mechanics that would mesh well with both pillars, rather than essentially making two completely different games that I would also have to tutorialize separately from one another.

I want to avoid traditional menu-driven mechanics, as I want the action to speak for itself. Plus, it would mean having to create an entire ocean of content right out of the gate (all of the complex actions like attacks, skills, etc.), which means more time and effort just to get a basic prototype off the ground. So, to keep things as simple as possible, I think the most practical option I have, reluctantly, would be a Match-3 puzzle game. I'm a little hesitant about this, because personally, I feel like Match-3's are becoming oversaturated and redundant, but maybe I'm wrong.

My main inspirations are HuniePop and especially Puzzle Quest (along with sequels and derivative clones). The caveat I see in Puzzle Quest is the versatility of its Match-3 system and how it's integrated into just about every part of the game. Almost everything you do, from combat to crafting, is handled through the puzzle system. This means these individual side-activities require very little tutorialization beyond the main combat mechanics. (Of course, the real genius IMO is that the mechanics and objectives in each of these activities are just different enough that it feels like a different activity from the basic combat.)

But again, my worry, aside from being extremely unoriginal, is that this Match-3 fad will eventually (if it hasn't already) fizzle out. Should I give this a go?

P.S. I happen to already have a basic Match-3 engine that I made a while back.

curato

There was a game on google play called super spell heroes that I tried out that has match mechanics but isn't a pure match 3 with some RPGish stuff. It is actually on my list to try to make a game in that format that isn't just a blatant cash grab. As far as the dating app goes if you are going to try to lump something like that in you would need strong online multiplayer.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.flaregames.superspellheroes

Last edited:
There was a game on google play called super spell heroes that I tried out that has match mechanics but isn't a pure match 3 with some RPGish stuff. It is actually on my list to try to make a game in that format that isn't just a blatant cash grab. As far as the dating app goes if you are going to try to lump something like that in you would need strong online multiplayer.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.flaregames.superspellheroes
Well no, not dating app. Dating sim (simulator). I don't really have any intention of multiplayer, unless maybe by demand.