App content on Play

RizbIT

On the console while updating an app I noticed a section in the side menu labelled "App content" which previously we have not seen or bothered with.

It now stated a deadline of september 2019.

So does this mean everyone will have to complete this section for all apps and games they have published?

Does it have to be completed even if you dont specifically target families or kids.

Just for purpose of clarification.

rIKmAN

On the console while updating an app I noticed a section in the side menu labelled "App content" which previously we have not seen or bothered with.

It now stated a deadline of september 2019.

So does this mean everyone will have to complete this section for all apps and games they have published?

Does it have to be completed even if you dont specifically target families or kids.

Just for purpose of clarification.
One Google search later:
https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/9285070?hl=en

Yes ive seen this link but what i want to know is, is it compulsory to complete this section for all apps/games?
Right from that page:
If you create a new app or publish an update to an existing app, you’ll be required to declare your app’s target age group
So yes, it looks like you must fill in that section for all new or updated apps/games.

rIKmAN

Yes ive seen this link but what i want to know is, is it compulsory to complete this section for all apps/games?
If you've seen it, did you actually read it?
Play Console Help said:
If you create a new app or publish an update to an existing app, you’ll be required to declare your app’s target age group.
The use of the word "required" would imply that everyone has to submit these details.
Play Console Help said:
In addition to filling out the content rating questionnaire, you'll also need to provide details about your app's target audience and content.
The use of the word "need" would imply that everyone is required to submit these details.

One of the target audience demographics listed is "Your app is not designed for children", which says:
Play Console Help said:
Your app is not designed for children.
You must still meet the requirements outlined in the Google Play Developer Program Policies and Developer Distribution Agreement.
The use of the word "must" implies that even if you aren't targeting children you must still specify this during submission and then adhere to the requirements listed in the two links provided.

Pfap

If you've seen it, did you actually read it?

The use of the word "required" would imply that everyone has to submit these details.

The use of the word "need" would imply that everyone is required to submit these details.

One of the target audience demographics listed is "Your app is not designed for children", which says:

The use of the word "must" implies that even if you aren't targeting children you must still specify this during submission and then adhere to the requirements listed in the two links provided.
kermit popcorn.png

RizbIT

thanks.

say i make a game that im not really targetting towards anyone, so i just look at the game and have to decide myself what the minimum age or target age group is? so you could be wrong.. we know kids these days are tech savvy so i might not think kids can use it but they might.

so if set target or min age of 13 then all users under that age cant download the game?

rIKmAN

thanks.

say i make a game that im not really targetting towards anyone, so i just look at the game and have to decide myself what the minimum age or target age group is? so you could be wrong.. we know kids these days are tech savvy so i might not think kids can use it but they might.

so if set target or min age of 13 then all users under that age cant download the game?
There's a section titled "Your app is designed for everyone, including children".

Pfap

thanks.

A lot of this stuff is just Google protecting their own butt, because like you said if someone wants to find a work around or give a fake age they will. Still, if you follow all of Googles rules and get your app approved for the youngest audience I think it may help how you are ranked or displayed on the play store.

RizbIT

"Your app is not designed for children" prob the safest option esp if your game has IAPS, and say evben normal level of violence/gore (whatever that is) for example a side scroller/platform game where you have a gun and shoot zombies, that splurt blood upon being shot, might not be suitable for kids under 13 im not sure.

Pfap

"Your app is not designed for children" prob the safest option esp if your game has IAPS, and say evben normal level of violence/gore (whatever that is) for example a side scroller/platform game where you have a gun and shoot zombies, that splurt blood upon being shot, might not be suitable for kids under 13 im not sure.
If you are not sure, then just err on the side of caution, or take a risk... what's the worst that could happen?