How to choose a random instance every frame?

Hi! I am trying to recreacte space invaders and i got a bit stuck at properly spawning enemy bullets.
I want a random enemy object from the bottom row to create 1 bullet with a certain cooldown. I got stuck on choosing a random instance of an enemy object to create a bullet. And i am a bit confused about where to put a random variable, because when i put it in a create event it only randomises once, and putting it in step event doesn't seem to work. Also with my code several enemies from bottom row create bullets, not 1...
Create event
Code:
cooldown = 0;

randomise ();

inst = instance_find(obj_enemy, irandom(instance_number(obj_enemy)-1));
step event
Code:
with (inst) {
    if !collision_line(x, y+60, x, y+300,obj_enemy,false,false) && (cooldown < 1) {
        instance_create_layer(x,y,"Instances",obj_e_bullet);
        cooldown = 120;
        }   
}

if !instance_exists(obj_e_bullet) cooldown -= 1;

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
randomize goes in neither of the two. It belongs in something that happens once when the game starts and is not to be called again afterwards.

That aside, please post the actual code of when you try this in a Step event, describe what is supposed to happen and what happens instead. Please don't summarize things as "doesn't work".

curato

inst = instance_find(obj_enemy, irandom(instance_number(obj_enemy)-1)); would need to be in the step event before the with to get it to work. Also, it looks like you only want one bullet on the screen at once. It may make more sense to make the next bullet in the outside room event or when you get rid of the first bullet. It would be a lot less overhead in your game anyways.

randomize goes in neither of the two. It belongs in something that happens once when the game starts and is not to be called again afterwards.

That aside, please post the actual code of when you try this in a Step event, describe what is supposed to happen and what happens instead. Please don't summarize things as "doesn't work".
With the code i posted what happens is several enemies from the bottom row spawn several bullets at the same time and the very same enemies continue to spawn bullets at cooldown. What i want is a random enemy from a bottom row spawn a bullet, cooldown, another random enemy spawn a bullet and so on.

inst = instance_find(obj_enemy, irandom(instance_number(obj_enemy)-1)); would need to be in the step event before the with to get it to work. Also, it looks like you only want one bullet on the screen at once. It may make more sense to make the next bullet in the outside room event or when you get rid of the first bullet. It would be a lot less overhead in your game anyways.
Putting inst variable in step event seem to randomise which enemies spawn bullets. In the beginning all enemies from 1st row spawn bullets, then only some of them, sometimes only one them. What do you mean by creatin bullet in the outside room event? I am a noob at programming in general and try to learn as i go)

Found the solution on r/gamemaker. Thanks to x2115. The problem was with cooldown. It wasn't global so replacing.

Code:
cooldown = 120;
with

Code:
with(obj_enemy){cooldown=120}
made it work as I wanted to)
And i placed my inst variable into step event and got rid of randomise