• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Help (looking for a decent RPG Tutorial)

W

Wahib Yousaf

Hi, I’m Wahib. Like the heading of this thread says, I need help finding a decent RPG tutorial. The problem I’m finding is that there are several videos on ‘bits and bobs’, individual parts for making RPG games, on YouTube. But there are no full (complete-with all resources & no-bugs) Tutorial Videos for RPGs made in GMS2.

Most are for GMS 1.4 and do not account for the new Layer, Camera and other new Variable logics and functions.

I have also tried looking on the Marketplace with no-luck. :/ What I’m essentially looking to do is make an RPG for UWP & Xbox, tested on PC, by following a tutorial that doesn’t have ‘missing art assets’ or ‘faulty gamepad input codes’ or any other issues. I don’t want to run into trouble while following a tutorial.

Does anyone know of any good RPG tutorials and videos specifically for GMS2? The first one I tried on YouTube, the guy’s itch.io Asset & Profile links led to a 404 (Sorry this page/user/resource does not exist) page.

Please help me. I’d like to at least make 1 level that works.

rIKmAN

FriendlyCosmonaut has a Farming RPG tutorial series on Youtube that might be worth a look.
It's probably not exactly what you want but will cover many of the elements required to learn, adapt and build upon into your own RPG game.
What I’m essentially looking to do is make an RPG for UWP & Xbox, tested on PC, by following a tutorial that doesn’t have ‘missing art assets’ or ‘faulty gamepad input codes’ or any other issues.
I wouldn't recommend following a tutorial and then putting the end result onto Xbox (or any platform) though - use it to learn from, build your coding skills and knowledge and create your own unique game.

Last edited:
W

Wahib Yousaf

FriendlyCosmonaut has a Farming RPG tutorial series on Youtube that might be worth a look.
It's probably not exactly what you want but will cover many of the elements required to learn, adapt and build upon into your own RPG game.

I wouldn't recommend following a tutorial and then putting the end result onto Xbox (or any platform) though - use it to learn from, build your coding skills and knowledge and create your own unique game.
Thanks @rIKmAN . No, I wouldn’t put someone’s tutorial on sale myself. I’m going to create my own Art Assets or look for Free images on Google searches. But it’s just a working codebase for Scripts, Object Variables, Input, Player, Key/Goal, Item and A.I. mechanics that I would like to learn, without getting stuck and not finding a solution.

Yes, I have seen the Farming one but skipped it because it was slightly different. But ok, I’ll check it out, thanks.

rIKmAN

Yes, I have seen the Farming one but skipped it because it was slightly different. But ok, I’ll check it out, thanks.
It's very rare that you will find a tutorial that will teaching exactly what it is you want to achieve.

However you will learn a lot of the required basics that will be needed to make any kind of game, things such as correct syntax, variable scoping, data structures, loops, general logic and program structure, player input, state machines, using scripts, parenting / inheritance and many other things that might seem unrelated but once learnt will stand you in good stead to apply that knowledge to any problem you come across when trying to make your own game.

Like @rIKmAN said, it's not likely you're going to find tutorials for exactly what you're looking for - the only way to do a tutorial for a full RPG would be to *create a full RPG,* which would be tens or hundreds of thousands of lines of code.

Programming a game is just knowing what you want to make and telling the computer to do it for you one step at a time, though. the best way to learn to program is to just start making things. I'd go through the manual and basic tutorials first, so you understand what's in your "toolkit" and then go from there. Games are made up of NOTHING BUT "bits and bobs" tied loosely together.

You want to make an RPG, so decide what exactly you need, and attack each problem separately. To start, you'll need things like:

-Recognizing controller input
-Having the camera track the player
-Keeping track of exe
-Moving the player
-Handling collisions with enemies
-Creating menus
-Literally a billion other things

Almost nothing you need will be specific to RPGs, though. I don't know how advanced or new you are, but my advice is to just start cobbling things together. Get the character walking around. Get the character talking to NPCs. Make it so you can enter buildings. And so on and so forth. Making an RPG or any other game isn't one big problem. it's a billion tiny problems. Pick the problems that are within your understanding/most fun, and just start working. It's impossible to "learn to make an RPG" from a tutorial. The subject is too big. Asking for a tutorial on an RPG is like asking for a tutorial on "math." Just start counting on your fingers and slowly work your way up. If you're new to game dev, you have years or even a decade or two ahead of you before you finish your dream RPG. Just settle in and start enjoying the long journey!

If I made a complete RPG, it certainly wouldn't be for a tutorial. The amount of time and effort that it would take to make the RPG AND then turn into a format valid for a tutorial AND then record/write up the tutorial itself is absurd. And for what? To have a bunch of people copying and pasting the code and complaining when it doesn't have feature X or Y or Z? There's -tons- of resources out there to learn the individual bits and if you aren't good enough/don't have enough time to connect the dots and make the RPG for yourself then why are you trying to achieve that specific goal? Downgrade your vision and produce something that you can.