• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Warhead Destined

• Thread starter Deleted member 16767
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16767

Hi. Warhead Destined is using my first released game's engine: Warhead. WD will be much more about action combat than Warhead was. Warhead was more about survival and crafting. I will be using pixel art for the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 16767

So I updated the graphics to be actual pixel art rather than noisy texture. I resized the pixel art tileset from 256 to 1920. I just hope that the 180x96 character fits into this style.

I've named him Ruls. Ruls right and left animations are done. But at the same time someone worked on his bigger version, I made animations of his 32x32 sprite. The 32x32 sprite has attack frames and running frames. If Ruls`s 180x96 version don't fit the tileset, I'll probably use the 32x32 one and save the big one for a cutscene.

Ruls.gif ruls_right_run_32.gif

This is me testing the game.

Edit: I've changed the AI to suit front, side and back view of the enemy.

Warhead Destined OST made by me with a really simple music maker. Since I can't afford a professional music composer unless I want to delay the game for years.

Edit: Posting a youtube playlist doesn't work.

Edit 2: Meh, forget about those 8 bit music. I just made something with Soundtrap for the first levels that is 4 mins long.

Wouldn't it be funny if I made the tiny guy and the big guy both heroes in this game and the tiny guy starts in the big guys world with the big tilesets, and the big guy in the tiny guys world. And then they meet and the tiny guy says "Hey, wait a minute... Aren't you in my world?". And the big guy answers "Damn it! We need to get the Moonstone to Erdon! Are you behind me?".

Anyway,

Headlines

I changed the AI to fit the new directions of enemies, which constitutes of front and back too now.
I'm happy to say that I am enjoying the music I made in the game (Spidodrama), and an 8 bit music for the game menu (which I haven't shared) -- and I hope you will too!
Some pixel tile level design correction.

pixeltroid

I think the walking sprite animation for the purple haired character is a little off. In the big version, the legs arent moving alright. The smaller sprites also feels a little jerky. Just look into it.

D

Deleted member 16767

I think the walking sprite animation for the purple haired character is a little off. In the big version, the legs arent moving alright. The smaller sprites also feels a little jerky. Just look into it.
The big character animation is a comission from an artist. I think it looks better when he put the animation together himself. Like this one:

ddapy5i-3bbb334f-7af5-44e4-abbb-1878fb1f805e.gif

The small sprite has 12 animation frames for left and right just like the big one. I think 8bit characters are more forgiving though, they have that 8bit charm that lets you get away with some animations. But I'll look into the small character later. I want to change his legs a bit in the animation, when I have time.

Just recently I made a sword attack animation for the side view. I hope that 4 frames will be alright in the game.

Ruls_attack_right.gif

Edit: I've made the front and back sword attack animation too now. :Feelsgoodman:

I've made two new tracks. One for room 6 - 11 and one for the Game Menu that is remastered from the before mentioned soundtrack.

Edit: Here's a track I made for the Spider Queen. My first try at 140bpm. I felt musical today but the next update won't be just about music.

D

Deleted member 16767

Today I worked more on the Spider Queen OST. I'm not a big fan of 140bpm, so I changed it to 120bpm and took away some sounds and made it play in D moll. I've also made the whip attack for all directions on Ruls.

Edit: I actually have many versions of the Spider Queen OST. You'll hear it when you play it. :) 140bpm is not too bad when you know more about it.

ruls_back_whip_attack.gif

I'm almost done with the first level. I will just need people testing it out, to see if they can beat all the spiders in the room.

Updated the first post with a download link to test the game.

D

Deleted member 16767

The link was linking to my other (steam) game. Sorry about that. I reuploaded it without the steam file.

Some questions I have is:

How do you like that the best gearscored weapon item dequalifies the lower gearscore weapon item to be used?
How do you like that when the lower gearscored item gets deleted, you still get it's gearscore saved, and any other weapon will just make the number grow.
Is the game too hard for you?
Have you tried any tactics to end the level faster?

I would appreciate answers to this a lot!

The boss of this tileset theme.
larvae4.png
The big larvae. He will shoot black projectiles all over the place. This larvae harnesses the deadly dark magic of Ktozutul the Primal Cicada God. Yep, he sings projectiles all over the place that look like black spots.

D

Deleted member 16767

In this state it's probably ready for animation, which will probably start next week. 256x256 sprite.

Here it is (with it's OST):

Edit: Just when I thought I was done with the still drawings of Larvae Boss, I noticed that it needed more legs on the front and back. How typical, right? Anyway now it's hopefully ready for animation.

My plans for the boss encounter.

Phase 1:

Boss says "I will burn your soul!".
The fight starts and your shadow grows bigger to fit the entire room.
Boss screams out your shadow as projectiles.

Phase 2:

Boss says "I've had enough! My shadow will succumb you!"
The room turns darker.
The boss changes color to darker.
The boss is harder to hit / gets evasive.

larvae_shadow7.png

The boss is in the 6th room. I haven't designed the other 4 rooms yet. Wish me luck with this! I'm putting this here so I don't forget it. I have parts of it coded already, but not all of it.

ETA for first boss: maybe early-mid august.

Today I made a really fast room map. It took 15 minutes to make. I like to call it "the snake" map. Since the walls are shaped in that way.

2019-07-12 06_52_01-warheaddestined - GameMaker Studio 2.png

D

Deleted member 16767

My minimap. Can be enlarged in the game.

2019-07-13 16_38_59-Greenshot.png

When it's enlarged, it looks like this:
2019-07-13 16_39_24-Greenshot.png

The enemy AI has also improved a bit.

D

Deleted member 16767

does the game switch between 2 modes? one where player is large and another where player is small?
That was the first idea I had for the game. But I am not planning to implement that feature anymore. I might make other characters later down the road, though.

D

Deleted member 16767

Ok, so I'm not the best at pathfinding. But with this level I just had to get my hands on it more. It's not perfect yet, and there are no scripts involved, just pure gml inside the players events. I am still working on it, and I just improved the walking on the left walls after this video was made.

Introducing the third level:

EDIT: The pathfinding has been replaced with the game makers simple in-built pathfinding.

D

Deleted member 16767

I've edited the first post and uploaded a new demo with the first boss fight. Please, leave feedback if you played it.

Edit: No longer looking for beta testers.

D

Deleted member 16767

Crazy amount of updates for today.

1. Going through the Steam Early Access program.
  2. Shallow water shader.
  3. First boss intro and wip first boss ending.
  4. First level of next dungeon theme almost done.
  5. I (heart) Twitter.
  6. New creature done, it just needs to be coded.
  7. New music by Rare Digs.
  8. Some bug / graphical glitch fixes.
  9. First boss AI is much smarter now.
  10. Tutorial guide.
  11. New boss creature designed, it just needs to be animated and then coded.
  12. New tileset map for the next dungeon theme.
  13. Portals to advance to the next level.
  14. Smooth full screen / windowed mode switching.