• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Executable Fullscreen not Full

D

Doulos

I searched extensively for any mention of this issue, but found none. But this has happened on not just 1 but 3 separate computers I have play testers attempted.

I have seen this several times, but this bug is intermittent.
The game is set to fullscreen with the engine level checkbox.
Game Options - Windows -> Graphics -> [] Start fullscreen

This happens with the executable, I have not seen it running for the IDE.
Executable made into .zip, not install. (this may or may not matter)

Sometimes. but not always. it loads smaller than the whole screen. with a boarder around the edges where the background desktop can be seen.
When this happens, interaction with the screen indicates that the screen is scaled fully. Thus buttons you think you are clicking you are missing because they appear in a different place than they are.

I am assuming this is an engine level issue.
There must be work around / solution. This bug is too big for anyone to be releasing products.

That sounds very annoying. I've not come across it myself before.

Do you have any screenshots / photos of the screen when this happens?

I would log a ticket with YoYo Games helpdesk, including the project and as much info as possible about the computers this is happening on - hardware configuration, software, how often it happens on these machines etc...

Are you doing anything to resize the game via code yourself? Like resizing the application surface / window / viewport?

What I would do to try to narrow it down is write some code to display all these values when the game is run (maybe tie it to a debug key you can toggle on and off the display of these values)

Check the values for the display / window / application using some or all of the following:

window_get_fullscreen()
window_get_width() / height()
display_get_width() / height()
camera_get_view_width() / height()
view_wport
view_hport
application_get_position()
surface_get_width() / height()
room_width / room_height

If the values show some differences when the bug occurs, you may be able to detect that and set the window to fullscreen in that instance (as a work around in the meantime)

If you can find a consistently reproducible case of the bug, this will help a lot in figuring out what the issue is.

Pretty much only the YoYo team can fix engine level bugs, so ultimately you will need to log it with them.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

If you dont mind it not having fullscreen switch. You could make the window borderless and window_set_rectangle to 0, 0, display size. This also allows the use of dialogs in fullscreen which normally can't happen afaik.

L

Lonewolff

If you dont mind it not having fullscreen switch. You could make the window borderless and window_set_rectangle to 0, 0, display size. This also allows the use of dialogs in fullscreen which normally can't happen afaik.
That's correct. Dialogues will work with fake full screen. So that's quite a good little advantage to that.

Still, you'd hope that ticking full screen would actually give you full screen. Sounds like a bug may have slipped in as that has always worked flawlessly (except with the early UWP export days).

D

Doulos

Are you doing anything to resize the game via code yourself? Like resizing the application surface / window / viewport?
I am doing much with the cameras and viewports, but nothing with the window.

Does this allow me to force the 1 resolution I am doing the game in? I mean, I am making this in 1920x1080. I want it to be full screen, yes. but I want it to stay that rez. to keep the views and objects the correct relative size.
Which may have it's own problems too.

What I would do to try to narrow it down is write some code to display all these values when the game is run (maybe tie it to a debug key you can toggle on and off the display of these values)
I agree, this is probably my best option at this point.
Thank you for the list of variables to check.

I would log a ticket with YoYo Games helpdesk, including the project and as much info as possible about the computers this is happening on - hardware configuration, software, how often it happens on these machines etc...
I unfortunately cannot reproduce this. Or at least have not figured out how. Even the time I have seen this, it went away. It might be a 1st time run as opposed to intermittent? But 1st impressions are the most important!
also. I was under the impression this was a submittal. and that YoYo tech support would be answering this forum. Seems I am incorrect.

I work Fridays and Saturdays on this project. Hence the delay of me responding to all this. Thanks for all the responses.

I intend give some of these debugging and workarounds a try before doing any ticketing.

and now that I have 5 posts! I will include the link to this bug happening.

Here is a live stream where I am attempting to get feedback. And this bug happens live. For everyone to see... :(
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/435806791?filter=archives&sort=time
at time 01:33:00

oh. 1 more thing. Here is the latest .zip on itch.io.
if anyone wants to help, try and open this game and let me know if your 1st time opening it was full screen or not.
https://doulos.itch.io/defenders-of-the-innocent-a-tower-defense-story

any other feedback is welcome too. but mostly just focusing on this bug right now.

rIKmAN

oh. 1 more thing. Here is the latest .zip on itch.io.
if anyone wants to help, try and open this game and let me know if your 1st time opening it was full screen or not.
https://doulos.itch.io/defenders-of-the-innocent-a-tower-defense-story

any other feedback is welcome too. but mostly just focusing on this bug right now.
Just downloaded this from itch to test for you, and it opened fullscreen first time for me on a 4K screen.
Opened it 5 times in total, every time it opened fullscreen without issues.

Hope that helps!