• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - Code All My Rooms just Disappeared

Not going to lie, a little concerned here. All my rooms in GMS just vanished when I clicked Run(f5). I have been developing this project for months now. I swapped a sprite out I was working on and poof they all vanished. The Rooms section in the Resources is now gray as if nothing is there any more, because its EMPTY.

I didnt delete them! Anyone know of this issue?

rIKmAN

Not going to lie, a little concerned here. All my rooms in GMS just vanished when I clicked Run(f5). I have been developing this project for months now. I swapped a sprite out I was working on and poof they all vanished. The Rooms section in the Resources is now gray as if nothing is there any more, because its EMPTY.

I didnt delete them! Anyone know of this issue?
Browse to your project directory and check the rooms folder - hopefully the files are still there.
If so you should be able to right click "Rooms" in the resource tree and "Add Existing" to re-import them.

Let this be a warning to you that you should always backup your project regularly - even better you should be using source control.

Browse to your project directory and check the rooms folder - hopefully the files are still there.
If so you should be able to right click "Rooms" in the resource tree and "Add Existing" to re-import them.

Let this be a warning to you that you should always backup your project regularly - even better you should be using source control.
Source control is not a replacement for backups. Some source control solutions may contain backup features, but making sure they're enabled and keeping track of them is still important.

rIKmAN

Source control is not a replacement for backups. Some source control solutions may contain backup features, but making sure they're enabled and keeping track of them is still important.
Yeah I guess my wording was poor, I meant using source control is better than just zipping your project folder as a "backup" method.
Using Source Control should be used in conjuction with regular full backups of your project and not stored locally. Source control on it's own is better than nothing though.

@William Garrison
There is no backup folder when using GMS2, I think he is confused and thinks you are using 1.4 even though this is posted in the 2.x forum.

pixeltroid

Are you using GMS2?
What is the path to this folder and are you sure you didn't create it yourself?

GMS2 doesn't have the option to do auto-backups like 1.4 did.
I'm using 1.4. The backup folder was created by default.

Just why would they remove such a valuable feature from GMS2?

rIKmAN

I'm using 1.4. The backup folder was created by default.

Just why would they remove such a valuable feature from GMS2?
This thread was posted in the GMS2 forum, so advice for 1.4 isn't very helpful and just confuses things.

No idea why they removed it, but as already mentioned people should be manually backing up and using source control to prevent things like this anyway.
There is only so much handholding they can do.

rIKmAN

That's a little rude but okay. I am new to GMS so forgive me if I need to make mistakes at times to learn a valuable lesson. Luckily I wasnt too awful far into the process. Just need to rebuild like 4 or 5 rooms. :)
It wasn't aimed at you William, but hopefully this experience will get you to look into doing regular backups and/or using source control sooner rather than later. :)

When you spend hours (or tens of hours) writing code then people should really get into the habit of taking steps to back that work up themselves rather than expecting the software to do it for them like 1.4 did with the auto backups.

Not knowing GMS2 didn't even do auto-backups is a prime example of someone not doing their research and priming themselves for lost work and headaches down the road once they started using it and the worst happened.

It wasn't aimed at you William, but hopefully this experience will get you to look into doing regular backups and/or using source control sooner rather than later. :)

When you spend hours (or tens of hours) writing code then people should really get into the habit of taking steps to back that work up themselves rather than expecting the software to do it for them like 1.4 did with the auto backups.

Not knowing GMS2 didn't even do auto-backups is a prime example of someone not doing their research and priming themselves for lost work and headaches down the road once they started using it and the worst happened.
Well, if anything it did get me looking at at Version Repos like GitHub. Ill check out source control too. Thanks for the feedback though.

rIKmAN

Well, if anything it did get me looking at at Version Repos like GitHub. Ill check out source control too. Thanks for the feedback though.
GitHub and BitBucket are both good, and I would recommend external Source Control tools rather than the built in GMS2 Source Control.
There are quite a few tutorials on Youtube on how to use them with GMS2, both IDE based and command line using something like Git Bash.

[update] I still dont know the cause of the Room Removal. BUT I was able to find the room files. Luckily for me I sync my drive on the cloud and found the room files in the trash on the cloud. So I restored them. And thank you rIKmAN for the foot in the bum that got me looking into Source Ctrl. I now am set up and consistently backing up on GitHub. Thank you all for your input. Much appreciated.

rIKmAN

[update] I still dont know the cause of the Room Removal. BUT I was able to find the room files. Luckily for me I sync my drive on the cloud and found the room files in the trash on the cloud. So I restored them. And thank you rIKmAN for the foot in the bum that got me looking into Source Ctrl. I now am set up and consistently backing up on GitHub. Thank you all for your input. Much appreciated.
No problem, it’s a bit of a pain to get setup but once you start using it you’ll wonder how you ever worked without it!

Happy devving!

I did figure out what the issue was BTW. So heads up to anyone doing the same...
I was using Google Drive as a way to be able to work on my game(s) anywhere. So I had all my GMS assets on Drive (cloud). Something with it being on the cloud causes (periodically) the files to move but not move. I called it a hiccup. And sometimes this hiccup caused GMS to freak out and could find the rooms. Much like a flicker in power during a thunderstorm causes your PC to turn off completely.

Pulled all my files off Google Drive and problem solved. Sticking to JUST GitHub hence forth. :)

L

lemonhead

I did figure out what the issue was BTW. So heads up to anyone doing the same...
I was using Google Drive as a way to be able to work on my game(s) anywhere. So I had all my GMS assets on Drive (cloud). Something with it being on the cloud causes (periodically) the files to move but not move. I called it a hiccup. And sometimes this hiccup caused GMS to freak out and could find the rooms. Much like a flicker in power during a thunderstorm causes your PC to turn off completely.

Pulled all my files off Google Drive and problem solved. Sticking to JUST GitHub hence forth. :)

Is everything working out for you okay using GitHub in conjunction with GMS? Are you still using 1.4 or have you upgraded to GMS2? Personally, I used source control with git hub back in the 1.4 days but have been using GMS2 with GitHub for some time with no issues. Just curious if you are having good luck with it when I read this thread.