• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

OFFICIAL GMS2 Local Asset Packages 2.2.3

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Beta IDE Release Notes
Beta Runtime Release Notes
Beta Opt-In FAQ
 (How to get on the Beta Channel)

This topic is for the discussion of issues relating to Local Asset Packages. However, this does not replace our normal bug reporting system and you should report all bugs as normal using https://accounts.yoyogames.com/contact-us#studio2

Goal: Creating and sharing asset packages locally. Everything export/imports as expected.

• Ability to export assets as local packages
• The Tools section of the menubar now has commands for creating/importing local asset packages, so you no longer "need" to use the Marketplace to pass assets between team members
• Works very much like the existing Marketplace create assets dialog and allows you to specify whether your package should be signed or not

rIKmAN

Beta IDE Release Notes
Beta Runtime Release Notes
Beta Opt-In FAQ
 (How to get on the Beta Channel)

This topic is for the discussion of issues relating to Local Asset Packages. However, this does not replace our normal bug reporting system and you should report all bugs as normal using https://accounts.yoyogames.com/contact-us#studio2

Goal: Creating and sharing asset packages locally. Everything export/imports as expected.

• Ability to export assets as local packages
• The Tools section of the menubar now has commands for creating/importing local asset packages, so you no longer "need" to use the Marketplace to pass assets between team members
• Works very much like the existing Marketplace create assets dialog and allows you to specify whether your package should be signed or not
This should have been in from the start, but I’m happy it’s finally made it!

Great news, thanks.

L

Lonewolff

Just tested this out. Works like a charm, as far as my limited testing goes. :)

This will be getting a workout for sure!

I get the non-steam version, but there is no beta channel in the preference.
And you have followed all the steps in that article?
You've linked your Steam account to your YoYo account?
please follow the steps in our Using Your YoYo Account With Steam guide to link your Steam account to your YoYo Account.
You've logged out and logged back in to refresh the account in the IDE?
Opting-In
Please Note: If your account is eligible for the beta, but you cannot see the Beta Channel section mentioned below, please File > Log Out and log in again. This will refresh your license and enable the Preferences section to be shown.

No you shouldn't. It will auto add itself if you do the steps correctly.
  1. Make sure to see your steam account linked (should show a red icon) in your account : https://accounts.yoyogames.com/linked_accounts. If you see the button green then press it so it turns red.
  2. Then go here : https://accounts.yoyogames.com/downloads, and download the standalone IDE, and install it, sign in using the same account details
  3. Under FILE - PREFERENCES, at the bottom you should see BETA CHANNEL, tick both boxes
  4. It'll likely close and restart at this point, or ask you to logout and back in.
  5. If not required to do no.4, then go to RUNTIME - BETA and download the latest beta runtime.
  6. Done.
But if after doing no. 1-2 but can't see BETA CHANNEL in step. 3, you'll need to submit a ticket, and get helpdesk's assistance.

Source : https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018353352

Last edited:

Zhanghua

No you shouldn't. It will auto add itself if you do the steps correctly.
  1. Make sure to see your steam account linked (should show a red icon) in your account : https://accounts.yoyogames.com/linked_accounts. If you see the button green then press it so it turns red.
  2. Then go here : https://accounts.yoyogames.com/downloads, and download the standalone IDE, and install it, sign in using the same account details
  3. Under FILE - PREFERENCES, at the bottom you should see BETA CHANNEL, tick both boxes
  4. It'll likely close and restart at this point, or ask you to logout and back in.
  5. If not required to do no.4, then go to RUNTIME - BETA and download the latest beta runtime.
  6. Done.
But if after doing no. 1-2 but can't see BETA CHANNEL in step. 3, you'll need to submit a ticket, and get helpdesk's assistance.

Source : https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018353352
TKS, I decide to wait the release.
Cause I use the VPN for that .... Logout and restart login, Nothing happened........

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Ignoring the lack of a Steam beta, does anyone have any further feedback or issues with this functionality?

We are aware of this issue https://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=29750, which means that imports of your packages are not working as smoothly as they should be. This issue has affected Marketplace imports for a little while also, so we're getting this fixed during this beta period. This same bug means that if your local asset contains a room0 and you try to import it into a project which already has a room0, then you won't see the imported version of the room - just the empty original.

Beyond that one bug above, I am aware of a couple of requests in the "global" 2.2.3 thread for this feature to be extended with support for updating an asset. This was not considered originally, as this is not a full Marketplace replacement/workaround; it's meant to be a quick method for one team member to pass project files to another. Marketplace packages already have updating, tracking versions, adding release notes, etc. However, I have now added this to our list of things to discuss internally, so it might come in a future version.

Hyomoto

As far as updating local packages go, the argument I would push into the pile is that while the marketplace may have these features, we shouldn't need the marketplace to manage our personal libraries. It's in the name, "marketplace". Okay, I'm not selling my asset, so why should I have to sign up to be a publisher on the marketplace? It's nice to simplify that process, and I'm glad to see this feature--make no mistake--but local assets really should be thought of as the "default" method of packaging. It really shouldn't be two systems.

Right now, you've basically added a UI for clearing a project of unwanted files, and exporting it to a yyz for import into another project. Welcome, better even, but while versions and changelogs are fine as marketplace features, being able to update packages is what makes a package helpful. Ideally we would see contents of the package alongside the current project, then be able to include new files or overwrite old ones. That feature would make all the difference. Being able to transition them to a marketplace asset is how I would envision the pipeline going, rather than local packages being sidecars.

I would clarify, again, I'm happy to see this at all, and I understand your mindset. What I've described is bigger, but it's where I would hope to see this go.

Last edited:

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
It was discussed internally last week, and we have agreed this is the long-term direction we intend GMS3 to go in (where we would actually have a NuGet-style package manager, and yes you could then use that to publish something to the Marketplace if you wanted), but this is unlikely to change much further for at least the foreseeable future.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
FYI, there was a bug reported for this feature where if you had non-Roman characters in your resource tree group names and then created a local asset package, the resources in that group weren't exported properly. This is actually a bug that the resource tree allowed you to type these characters in for Group names in the first place, so we have added group name validation into 2.2.3 for the second beta release.

TecmagDiams

Honestly I'm pretty happy with what I see on local asset packages. The issue you mentioned is literally the only thing that's kept me from using Game Maker Studio in years. I want to develop multiple applications concurrently and without the ability to "Import and replace" so that parent higharchies and other such settings are kept there really just has been no reasonable way for me to develop the way I wanted to and it was a real drain on my motivation.

I'm really enjoying the prospect of local packages so that I could quickly share assets with friends who I am showing the ropes of some basic concepts though.

Zhanghua

" allows you to specify whether your package should be signed or not"

What's the difference whether the package was signed or not ?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
A signed package can't be edited and re-saved by a third party. So, if you distribute your asset package publicly, noone can re-create it with the same name but edited contents.

rIKmAN

This one has the keep/replace import wizard part of this new feature. Works for Marketplace imports as well as local packages.
Just to clarify, I can update a local asset package and then import that into a project that already has that extension imported, and it will overwrite all the files rather than me having to manually delete everything each time beforehand?

JeffJ

This one has the keep/replace import wizard part of this new feature
While on the subject - is multiple resource adding still on the horizon? I wasn't able to find it on the roadmap, but I really hope that's just an oversight.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Just to clarify, I can update a local asset package and then import that into a project that already has that extension imported, and it will overwrite all the files rather than me having to manually delete everything each time beforehand?
Yes. It won't automatically overwrite all the files, though - it will ask you to pick which ones you want to overwrite.

While on the subject - is multiple resource adding still on the horizon? I wasn't able to find it on the roadmap, but I really hope that's just an oversight.
Is not part of this change / is not changed in 2.2.3. Will need to check where this is on the list, tbh.

Hey sooooo I don't want to sound like some dummy who doesn't know anything about programming but uhhh...what's a local asset package? Can anyone throw me a quick sentence describing what this is and what it's for if there's a benefit to someone working solo and not selling marketplace assets?

From what I'm gathering it sounds like I could put together some sprites, scripts, objects etc that I use regularly and import that into other projects? And that wasn't possible before or needed to go through a marketplace account to do it or it duplicated files? (I realize typing this that I've never actually tried doing this before)

Just curious what the excitement is about lol

L

Lonewolff

From what I'm gathering it sounds like I could put together some sprites, scripts, objects etc that I use regularly and import that into other projects? And that wasn't possible before or needed to go through a marketplace account to do it or it duplicated files?
Exactly. It wasn't possible.

Sure, you could tediously add things back in to your project one item at a time. But this becomes 'un-fun' real fast if you wan't to do it to a serious scale.

Especially if you want to import DLL extensions and you have to re-declare what every single function does inside that DLL.

Now you just export it from an existing project and re-import instantly into a new one.

Tell me how fun this looks like to set up on each new project. :p

Any my project has barely begun.

Yikes lol I'm still just solo slowly working on one project at a time and just assumed I could start my next project with some of the stuff I've made for this one, so I can see why it's a big deal especially for bigger projects or people who pump out a ton of them. Thanks for the info!