• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Trying to get the visuals right

I haven't touched Llwyth in a good while and needed to go back through tutorials to remember how to code, so I figured I'd work on a smaller project while relearning everything. This is what it looks like so far - I want to automatically scale and apply a filter to the foreground sprites to help with perspective, but I haven't managed to get the code right so far. Of course, there will also be more things in the background when I have time to make those assets.

I'm just making this for fun so I wouldn't consider hiring help, but If you're a programmer or artist and would like to work with me on this fairly basic adventure game, I would love the company and it would greatly increase the chances of this ever being released.

pixeltroid

looks very nice. Though I think the stone blocks being placed in a neat grid looks a little....off. Maybe you could reduce the grays?

Your sprite looks awesome though!

looks very nice. Though I think the stone blocks being placed in a neat grid looks a little....off. Maybe you could reduce the grays?

Your sprite looks awesome though!
Glad you like the sprites :) I'm still wondering if I will keep any iso / illusion of 3d or go perfectly flat like a normal metroidvenia (actually leaning that way right now). Do you think that the blocks being aligned like that would also look off in that case?

Edit: typo

pixeltroid

Glad you like the sprites :) I'm still wondering if I will keep any iso / illusion of 3d or go perfectly flat like a normal metroidvenia (actually leaning that way right now). Do you think that the blocks being aligned like that would also look off in that case?

Edit: typo
I meant that the way you have shown the bricks looks a little too neat and orderly...almost like they were legos.

Bricks of ancient ruins are usually laid out in a manner that looks haphazard, but still form a structure.

For example:

baalbek-lebanon-jupiter-temple.jpg

Last edited:
I agree about the bricks. Something as simple as having multiple tiles with slightly different patterns (like the crumbling corners you already have) or having some stone blocks that are two tiles wide could go a long way. But the main thing that stood out to me was the sky. In comparison to the gradient on the ground, the solid color is a little jarring. Overall, though, I like where you're going with this.

They're individual objects atm, don't know how to make tiles yet, but I'm sure using those will be easier on memory.

While I'm posting, might as well give you guys a new screenshot to look at! (Those clouds are just manually placed for now - I need to go learn parallax scrolling.)