Forum Issue [SOLVED] Am I allowed to post about this?

S

Sam (Deleted User)

My Virtual Visit Maker project is being made in GameMaker Studio for the Mac port. I'm currently using it for the Linux port as well. On Windows, I am using a different software for the felxibility of it being open source and being able to compile 64-bit on Windows. Very soon, i am hoping to migrate the project over to that software on Linux and later on with Mac as well. It will always rely on GameMaker Studio for the HTML5 export. That said, am I only allowed to share the HTML5 version for these reasons? Its technically the exact same product and works exactly the same across platforms, but I'd really like to avoid using extensions for a couple simple math functions I am using, and with HTML5 I dont find it as big a deal if i require an extra js file for those math functions, as html5 is considered much more normal to have multiple files needed to run, and the end user wont even see those files in a folder because it will be uploaded to a website regardless.

My project uses GameMaker sources that can be built for all of these platforms, and I am sharing that source code for anyone who wants to build it with GameMaker on those platforms, along with the required extension for the math functions.

As long as I am providing the GM source is that perfectly acceptable? I'd rather not have to supply game maker built binaries if i dont have to, on Win32/Mac/Linux because thats a lot of stuff to take the time to build each time a newer version or update rolls out. If I need to in order to share it here, I'll build the new binaries and upload them to my itch.io page.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
You can certainly post GameMaker source code for any platform (as you already know). Beyond that, it's hard to answer your question. Because you haven't made it clear what you intend to post. I don't know what you mean by "a different software".

Some tutorial topics include extensions or supporting code made in other languages such as C and JavaScript. That's usually fine, because the main topic is about GML code, and the supporting software doesn't compete with YoYoGames' products. I think this approach with "supporting software" could apply to game topics as well (although @Nocturne has the final word on this).

However, I'd recommend you avoid posting anything made with competing IDE software such as Construct, RPG Maker, Unity, etc., regardless of whether they are commercial, free, or open source.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

The thing unique about this situation though, "this different software" technically is a competing product of GameMaker, what I am creating with it isnt really suitable for all purpose games. I am making a game engine that makes myst-like games in specific and it cant be used for virtually anything else, other than perhaps virtual tours/visits made from photographs. Its very limited, and in no way meant to compete with something flexible as game maker. While just by coincidense it was made with a competitor, im not advertising or promoting that software and discourage anyone from doing so.

It was a literal miracle to begin with it even worked with my project. That said, I'm more interested in advertising the product i made with it, as if anyone wants to make a myst-like game or virtual visit in specific, that's honestly much more appealing for me to advertise and promote than what it was built in for some platforms. The only reason I'm would like to post it here is it has ties to gm in its roots as well as the HTML5 platform it supports via GM, and in the long run I would like to form a team to help me expand and complete a fully functional IDE for this project, whether made in GM and/or C++/ObjC are my 3 most prefered ways I'd like to do it.

If these things make no difference, i'll report the topic advertising my Virtual Visit Maker software requesting it to be taken down.

Last edited by a moderator:

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
[snip]...
Its very limited, and in no way meant to compete with something flexible as game maker. While just by coincidense it was made with a competitor, im not advertising or promoting that software and discourage anyone from doing so.
...[snip]
I understand you aren't trying to promote a competitor. Otherwise, you wouldn't have asked this question. Nevertheless, I'd recommend you not post it here.

Rather than split hairs over your motivation, I'd just say that out of fairness to our forum hosts, it's probably better to avoid it.

But the Studio: HTML5 version is fine. I'm looking forward to seeing that.

L

Lonewolff

If I recall @Nocturne correctly. If it is related to GameMaker it is ok.

It was asked about @YellowAfterlife's web thingy that was coded in something other than GameMaker and builds online in a "GML Compatible language". And his thread was deemed ok. (Probably YellowAfterLife was the one who took the report and gave himself the 'green light' LOL :D)
  • 100% not coded in GameMaker.
  • Try's to emulate GameMaker in some fashion where it can.
  • Could even go as far to say it competes in some sense.
  • But all good to promote on the forums. ;)
https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/gmlive-js-test-gml-right-in-your-browser.10152/

So if that type of thread is endorsed by YYG staff, then this thread should sure as hell be good to go.

Could even go as far to say you can post all about ENIGMA on here too as it is compatible with GameMaker also, going by past rulings.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

But the Studio: HTML5 version is fine. I'm looking forward to seeing that.
I'm still waiting for YoYo to add the planned feature of turning off the sandbox, which due to the sandbox being turned on, it limits the files that can be loaded in the HTML5 export strictly to only stuff added as included files via the GMS IDE, and files saved by the HTML5 game itself. That's the only thing I'm waiting for is to tirn off the sandbox, once that is done people will be able to load thier own custom resources for creating games and virtual visits. I released a demo of the HTML5 version but decided to take it down because no one can actually make games with it yet for reasons given.

I'll go ahead and report my original topic, because while it started off as a GM-exclusive creation, it has since drifted away from that, and like you say I would prefer to play it safe.

Edit:

After reading @The Sorcerer's post, I think I'll wait until i hear from a staff member who is more directly tied to YoYoGames. I understand your perpective chance and I agree with it, but for my selfish reasons if Nocturne or Russell for example are ok with it, id prefer to keep the topic up if posible.

I completely forgot about GMLive.js. Although there is a difference here, i believe he made it in raw javascript, which is a language, not a game creation tool strictly that was built on a particular language. Its still seems to be a grey area, and I really dont mean to impose anything on YoYoGames if they don't approve.

L

Lonewolff

Rather than split hairs over your motivation, I'd just say that out of fairness to our forum hosts, it's probably better to avoid it.
If it is built in GMS on one platform and not another, where is the problem with that?

If HyperLight Drifter was also released on Sega Mega Drive, does that suddenly make it blacklisted from talking about?

Things like this have a tendency to rub me the wrong way (If you didn't already get that vibe).

S

Sam (Deleted User)

If it is built in GMS on one platform and not another, where is the problem with that?

If HyperLight Drifter was also released on Sega Mega Drive, does that suddenly make it blacklisted from talking about?

Things like this have a tendency to rub me the wrong way (If you didn't already get that vibe).
Other popular GM games like Hotline Miami and the sequal to Risk of Rain have been either ported or built with other engines over time, so i get that. But on the other hand on yoyo's show case they only link to the original GM created version of Hotline Miami and only the first Risk of Rain, not the sequel. So that being said, if im linking to a page that hosts executables made with GM and ones not made with GM, one could simply argue "why not host the downloads on different pages to avoid confusion regarding what it was made in?" or simply to not advertise other software may have their benefits that could be a threat to YoYo's business. I see both sides.

I personally find the software I am using in danger of dying off soon, and believe strongly it is so buggy, difficult to install, gigs in size, undermaintained by 3 major devs, that it serves no threat to YoYo. (not to mention it only supports desktop and in all likelihood will never go beyond that).

L

Lonewolff

Other popular GM games like Hotline Miami....
And yet it still remains here https://yoyogames.com/showcase as it serves their best interest to keep it there. And YellowAfterLife's thing. That really has no business being on the forums IMO.

I personally find the software I am using in danger of dying off soon, and believe strongly it is so buggy, difficult to install, gigs in size, undermaintained by 3 major devs, that it serves no threat to YoYo.
If it is the software I am thinking of, it is the hardest thing on the planet to install. The main reason I don't use it, I can't work out how to install (hence contribute to) the friggin' thing, and I don't consider myself dumb in the technical department (but that's just my opinion :p).

S

Sam (Deleted User)

If it is the software I am thinking of, it is the hardest thing on the planet to install. The main reason I don't use it, I can't work out how to install (hence contribute to) the friggin' thing, and I don't consider myself dumb in the technical department (but that's just my opinion :p).
You aint seen nothing yet! Lol thats just wave #1 of all the reasons no one uses that thing lol

L

Lonewolff

I know about thirty reasons, but always happy to hear more. LOL :D

And on paper, it is an awesome project. On paper...

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I know about thirty reasons, but always happy to hear more. LOL :D

And on paper, it is an awesome project. On paper...
I think we shouldnt be talking about it in any way possitive, even if in jest, if they are to allow my topic :p thats not the purpose of either my project or the thread about it, neither this topic.

L

Lonewolff

LOL done. ;)

I'll just say, if YAL can have his non-GMS related topic endorsed then Sam should be able to have his GMS related topic endorsed also.

But we will see what the jury has to say. One set of rules, or two?

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff

Of course there's nothing wrong with releasing versions in different software on forums for that software.

But as I understand Samuel's question, he's asking about posting an example on the GMC that's made with another software IDE that competes with GM Studio.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Of course there's nothing wrong with releasing versions in different software on forums for that software.

But as I understand Samuel's question, he's asking about posting an example on the GMC that's made with another software IDE that competes with GM Studio.
Actually the IDE it was made in was GameMaker 8.1. It has since been ported to Studio 1.4 and 2. But the GM 8.1 source is the primary file i use for builds. Its the binary that was made with a compiler that isnt a part of GM with the exception of HTML5, and for a limited time the Mac and Linux binaries as well.

Nocturne has let me link to my Key to Success game due to it having builds made in GM for all platforms it supports, but there are also versions made with a competitor at the same download page, which he knew about but said was ok regardless.

This is different though because Im asking here to share a software that isnt built with GM on all platforms it supports, where as the Key to Success game is.

Its these technical differences that made me feel the need to create this thread rather than just flat out assuming it was ok.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Without knowing more details, I'd say go for it. If there's an issue, we'll work it out. It's clear you aren't trying to misuse the GMC.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Without knowing more details, I'd say go for it. If there's an issue, we'll work it out. It's clear you aren't trying to misuse the GMC.
Thanks. Its unfortunate there isn't a more suitable community to post it to. There are a lot of projects of mine that I wouldn't mind having a team for, a lot of them are c++/objc stuff namely aside from this. But with so many dynamics and genres to programming, with a shortage of specific kinds of communities, it can be quite a struggle to remain relevant everywhere I can go.

Above all else, I'll try to avoid this as much I can, by not having a plethora of projects posted under such unknowns. If i ever become a problem, the lock and delete buttons are always there for the mods and admins. :)