Windows Website Implants [urgent]

I

iTypewriter

Hi, I've been recently notified that the video game i made has to be converted to a hyperlinked URL, that I can email to the judges. It's due by midnight, 5/15/2019, 11 hours and 55 minutes from the time of posting. I'd like to know if there's a way I can put my GM2 game into a website, or if i can make it its own site. I am currently making an HTML page in Windows Notepad, but I'm not sure if i can make it in time.

Thank You
iTypewriter

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
If you own the HTML5 export module, then yes, and also I would suggest to test thoroughly, as it can have minor behavioral differences to the desktop ones.

rIKmAN

Hi, I've been recently notified that the video game i made has to be converted to a hyperlinked URL, that I can email to the judges. It's due by midnight, 5/15/2019, 11 hours and 55 minutes from the time of posting. I'd like to know if there's a way I can put my GM2 game into a website, or if i can make it its own site. I am currently making an HTML page in Windows Notepad, but I'm not sure if i can make it in time.

Thank You
iTypewriter
Does the game have to be a HTML5 game or do the judges just want a link to a zip/rar file to download your Windows game?

I

iTypewriter

If you own the HTML5 export module, then yes, and also I would suggest to test thoroughly, as it can have minor behavioral differences to the desktop ones.
I'm using the notepad application provided with Windows 10. I'm downloading Adobe Dreamweaver at the moment. I'm not very experienced in HTML, and I'm not sure what HTML5 is.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
A hyperlink doesn't have to lead to an HTML page. Get a Dropbox account, export your project as an executable with Ctrl+F8, upload the result to Dropbox and give the judges the Share link.

If the judges actually wanted a game playable over HTML5, instead you need the Web export and a web host. Test your game with F5 first, then follow these instructions. Do note that many projects designed only with desktop in mind don't work exactly out of the box. If that happens to you and you can't salvage it in time, let it be your lesson that incompatibilities between exports are a thing and they need to be in your game plan from day one.

Next time, learn how to read instructions and use a computer properly before getting involved in a competition. Mishaps like this are often the only real way for rookies to learn what happens when passionate action meets inexperience.

I

iTypewriter

Does the game have to be a HTML5 game or do the judges just want a link to a zip/rar file to download your Windows game?
All I was asked for was a URL, so I'd assume that they need a website. The game is already made, I just need a way to put it into a website. Last time, I gave them a .exe file, and they didn't seem to like that, so I'm not sure how a zip/rar file would come off to them.

I

iTypewriter

A hyperlink doesn't have to lead to an HTML page. Get a Dropbox account, export your project as an executable with Ctrl+F8, upload the result to Dropbox and give the judges the Share link.

If the judges actually wanted a game playable over HTML5, instead you need the Web export and a web host. Test your game with F5 first, then follow these instructions. Do note that many projects designed only with desktop in mind don't work exactly out of the box. If that happens to you and you can't salvage it in time, let it be your lesson that incompatibilities between exports are a thing and they need to be in your game plan from day one.

Next time, learn how to read instructions and use a computer properly before getting involved in a competition. Mishaps like this are often the only real way for rookies to learn what happens when passionate action meets inexperience.
I'll try that. Thank you!

rIKmAN

All I was asked for was a URL, so I'd assume that they need a website. The game is already made, I just need a way to put it into a website. Last time, I gave them a .exe file, and they didn't seem to like that, so I'm not sure how a zip/rar file would come off to them.
I think it would be worth confirming it with them.

It seems odd that it wouldn't be stated up front that the game needs to be a HTML5 game to run in a browser.
To drop that information last minute (if that's what happened) is pretty poor form considering they are two completely different platforms.

I

iTypewriter

I think it would be worth confirming it with them.

It seems odd that it wouldn't be stated up front that the game needs to be a HTML5 game to run in a browser.
To drop that information last minute (if that's what happened) is pretty poor form considering they are two completely different platforms.
I was given this information this afternoon by my STEM teacher. This is TSA National competition, and the game was on a flash drive for State Comp, and it was received fairly well. I'm not sure why things changed, but I'm using the dropbox technique and it's working well.

rIKmAN

but I'm using the dropbox technique and it's working well.
So they don't actually want a HTML5 game, they want a link to your project so they can download it?

This is what I was asking as a download link to a Windows project and a URL to a HTML5 game are not the same thing.

I

iTypewriter

So they don't actually want a HTML5 game, they want a link to your project so they can download it?

This is what I was asking as a download link to a Windows project and a URL to a HTML5 game are not the same thing.
UPDATE: Everything worked out smoothly. Thanks for your help, everyone! It's up and running!