64 bit version requirement

RizbIT

What is the situation in regards to submitting apps compiled with GMS 1.4x and GMS2 and this new requirement by Google

That states that all apks submitted must have 64 bit code versions aswell?

Does this mean that when you submit a new app update you have to upload a 32bit and a 64bit version.

It does say that if your app does not target Android 9 Pie then the policy doesnt apply to it. So if you set the target and max sdk to below 9 then it deosnt matter?

Mool

You need to have 64bit after 1.Aug 19. Thats pretty easy with gms2. Just add Arm64 and you are done

chamaeleon

It does say that if your app does not target Android 9 Pie then the policy doesnt apply to it. So if you set the target and max sdk to below 9 then it deosnt matter?
It might not matter, if you're satisfied with only reaching devices that are not running Pie or later. Those that are more than likely won't see your app in the store. Per https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2019/01/get-your-apps-ready-for-64-bit.html it does not apply to APKs that are not distributed to devices running Pie. In other words, you'll probably experience a shrinking set of potential devices you distribute to in the store as older models disappear from use, regardless of what settings you use when you compile, if you do not have a 64-bit build available.

RizbIT

Not just that what about the java libs references you enter in prefs, i take it you would have to have installed 64 bit versions of Java JDK aswell as doing what you said

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
what about on gms 1.4x can it be done

so on GMS 2 you just tick that one check box and GMS handles the rest?

Does it have a big impact on the apk file size when you add 64bit native code?

https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2019/01/get-your-apps-ready-for-64-bit.html
The size difference is insignificant relative to the bandwidth that a modern connection can afford.

GMS 1.4 is way past sunset and I don't think YoYo will add retroactive support for 64 bit to it. The rapid obsolescence of system APIs and app store policies in the mobile ecosystem is something you should have seen coming, especially if you consider this your main line of work.

RizbIT

The size difference is insignificant relative to the bandwidth that a modern connection can afford.

GMS 1.4 is way past sunset and I don't think YoYo will add retroactive support for 64 bit to it. The rapid obsolescence of system APIs and app store policies in the mobile ecosystem is something you should have seen coming, especially if you consider this your main line of work.
i dont like changing platform when ive just got use to it...thats why i didnt upgrade to v2.

also i was taking a break from new app dev, just working on old ones and gms 1.4 was sufficient

also been looking into Android Studio

RizbIT

Just got the email from Google saying

By August 1, 2019, all apps that use native code must provide a 64-bit version in addition to the 32-bit version in order to publish an update. This past January, we reiterated that this is required in order to make way for innovation and in anticipation of future Android devices that only support 64-bit code.
So now its a MUST?

So you cant uploaded apps after August that have been compiled using Game Maker Studio 1.4x?

H

Homunculus

So now its a MUST?
So you cant uploaded apps after August that have been compiled using Game Maker Studio 1.4x?
That's right, you'll have to migrate to GMS2 in order to publish your apps after that date.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Imagine how the development speed of both GMS 1.x and 2.x would be affected if YoYo Games (still) had to keep two entirely separate products updated for multiple platforms (like they did for quite a while) so those who are still using the old product can continue to publish games. I doubt you'd prefer that route.

RizbIT

I know what you saying but for some individuals doesnt make sense to fork out for the new version as the old one is more thatn enough.

Imagine how upset youd be if you spent £10K on a car then after a few years the manufacturers said they gonan stop supporting it, no longer can you buy new parts for it and anything goes wrong with it they wont help at all.

Then new road laws come in saying every car needs to have a light under the car, but you now cant buy one for that car, only option is to scrap the £10k car and buy another..

chamaeleon

I know what you saying but for some individuals doesnt make sense to fork out for the new version as the old one is more thatn enough.
It makes perfect sense to fork out money for the new version, if they want to publish. Everything else is dreaming of a better world.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
You cannot expect this statement to pass while being involved in IT and marketing. An unsupported product can barely be called "more than enough" when a third party change will soon invalidate everything built with it, either way.

Imagine how upset youd be if you spent £10K on a car then after a few years the manufacturers said they gonan stop supporting it, no longer can you buy new parts for it and anything goes wrong with it they wont help at all.

Then new road laws come in saying every car needs to have a light under the car, but you now cant buy one for that car, only option is to scrap the £10k car and buy another..
You just described "warranty" and "obsolescence". Those are existing real-world concepts.

You're also comparing
a £10000 value car, the government creating and legislating laws in "a few years" without giving manufacturers and consumers alike a reasonable time frame to adapt (if there was a reasonable time frame, you wouldn't buy a car that won't be usable in a few years, and even if you do, it would likely break down in that time anyway), which would render the value of the car null as it would be entirely illegal to drive,
to
a software license that had at most a retail value of $799, had an active development life span of around six years from start to finish and still works for all of its intended purposes outside of those cases where a third party company has dropped support for it.

To put this into perspective...

Microsoft, a multi-billion dollar company, stopped supplying updates for its older operating systems a decade or two after their initial release and newly released software is no longer compatible with them (with or without correlation to the stopped supply of updates).
Mobile device manufacturers stop updating their device's operating systems a few years after release, add new features to newer versions which are then used by app developers, making those apps incompatible with the older devices that are stuck on older operating systems.
Even the entirely software-less DVI display adapter cable I bought six years ago won't fit into the monitor I purchased a week ago and I had to buy a DisplayPort one instead.

Now imagine if governments were drafting up new road laws, legislating them after a decade or so, then fine people who are still driving cars that don't comply with today's ecology standards and even prohibit them from entering specific metropolitan areas... no, even prohibit them from driving their car home if it happens to be a low emission zone and their perfectly functional car is not suitable for it.

... that's exactly what is happening right now.

Nobody's gonna bother to replace that old car's engine. It would make no sense from a business standpoint. Continuing to support and maintain old products indefinitely is a one-way road to bankruptcy as it incurs costs and barely, if at all, generates revenue.

RizbIT

In order to compile a store compatible apk for nov 2019+ for the architecture what do you select from the 4 options?
'Build for x86' and 'Build for x86_64' ?

T

Tecky

You need to have 64bit after 1.Aug 19. Thats pretty easy with gms2. Just add Arm64 and you are done
Can you explain what you mean by adding ARM64? My processor is 64bit and I have GMS2, but when i try to upload my game to steam, it says that it's 32 bit.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Can you explain what you mean by adding ARM64? My processor is 64bit and I have GMS2, but when i try to upload my game to steam, it says that it's 32 bit.
This is about 64-bit on Android, not 64-bit on Steam. If you're trying to export your game to Steam, you need to use the version of GMS 2 from Steam (which you would have a key for either because you bought it there or got a free one from a normal purchase), then use the Steam export there.

Also, if you're new to the forums, DO NOT bump up old topics that you think are relevant. Most of the time it's actually either obsolete or irrelevant, and quite often the person you want a reply from isn't active anymore. Instead, start a new topic and link the old topics if you've found any.