GameMaker "Trying to draw non-existing sprite" error while using variable

E

E.M.I

Hey GameMaker Community! I've been working on a top-down game and have run into an issue with the depth system. I have two scripts that seem to be causing this error: scr_create_draworder, which creates the draw_order and draworder_size variables I'm using to store the grid size, as well as the i variable, used to adjust the size of the depth grid according to the values of the draworder_size and draworder_size variables. Here's the code:

Code:
/// scr_draw_draworder();

// draw everything in the draworder

for(var index = 0; index < global.draworder_size; index++){

// search list for appropiate Y!
        var l = global.draworder[# 0, index];

var count = ds_list_size(l)-1;

//check, if instances in list
        if (count >= 0){

while(count >= 0){
                // target instance
                var i = ds_list_find_value(l, count--);
                if (i.subtype = "z-axis"){
                    draw_sprite_ext(i.sprite_index, i.image_index, i.x, i.y-i.z, i.image_xscale, i.image_yscale, i.image_angle, i.image_blend, i.image_alpha);                      
                } else {
                    draw_sprite_ext(i.sprite_index, i.image_index, i.x, i.y, i.image_xscale, i.image_yscale, i.image_angle, i.image_blend, i.image_alpha);  
                }
            }
        }
    }
Then you have the scr_draw_draworder script, which actually draws the objects. Here's that code:

Code:
/// scr_add_draworder

var cam = view_get_camera(0);    

if (argument0.y > camera_get_view_y(cam)+600) return false;
if (argument0.y < camera_get_view_y(cam)-250) return false;
if (argument0.x > camera_get_view_x(cam)+600) return false;
if (argument0.x < camera_get_view_x(cam)-250) return false;

// add offset to instance.y
   var yy = round(argument0.y)+DO_OFFSET;
// if out of bounds, don't add
   if (yy < 0 or yy >= global.draworder_size) return false;

// search list, which is needed
   var list = global.draworder[# 0, yy];

// add to this list
   ds_list_add(list, argument0);
   return true;
The problem is, all the uses of the i variable in scr_draw_draworder return the "Trying to draw non-existing sprite" error (specifically the uses in line 21). Anyone have any idea of what's going on? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
I

immortalx

If I'm reading this right, your count variable equals zero even when the number of elements in the list is 1.
If that's the case, then in the var i = ds_list_find_value function you're trying to get the value at index -1.
That means you should set the count variable to be equal to the list size (and not list size-1) and your while loop condition to count>0 (not count>=0)

T

Timothy

Hey GameMaker Community! I've been working on a top-down game and have run into an issue with the depth system. I have two scripts that seem to be causing this error: scr_create_draworder, which creates the draw_order and draworder_size variables I'm using to store the grid size, as well as the i variable, used to adjust the size of the depth grid according to the values of the draworder_size and draworder_size variables. Here's the code:

Code:

if (count >= 0){

while(count >= 0){
                // target instance
                    draw_sprite_ext(i.sprite_index, i.image_index, i.x, i.y-i.z, i.image_xscale, i.image_yscale, i.image_angle, i.image_blend, i.image_alpha);                      
                } else {
                    draw_sprite_ext(i.sprite_index, i.image_index, i.x, i.y, i.image_xscale, i.image_yscale, i.image_angle, i.image_blend, i.image_alpha);  
                }
            }
        }
    }
Then you have the scr_draw_draworder script, which actually draws the objects. Here's that code:

Code:

if (count >= 0){

while(count >= 0){
                // target instance
                } else {
                }
            }
        }
    }
The problem is, all the uses of the i variable in scr_draw_draworder return the "Trying to draw non-existing sprite" error (specifically the uses in line 21). Anyone have any idea of what's going on? Thanks in advance!
You posted the same script twice i think.

But anyway, are you sure that all your instance in the list have a valid sprite index? Also, a with() statement would be better here. (also the if (count >= 0) is redundant).

E

E.M.I

If I'm reading this right, your count variable equals zero even when the number of elements in the list is 1.
If that's the case, then in the var i = ds_list_find_value function you're trying to get the value at index -1.
That means you should set the count variable to be equal to the list size (and not list size-1) and your while loop condition to count>0 (not count>=0)
Thanks, I'll try it out!

E

E.M.I

You posted the same script twice i think.

But anyway, are you sure that all your instance in the list have a valid sprite index? Also, a with() statement would be better here. (also the if (count >= 0) is redundant).
Oh crap, sorry about that. Must've slipped me by. I've edited the original post to correct that.

T

Timothy

I'm not sure what your passing into the second script... but I would add argument0.id to the list rather than just argument0.