• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Steam build keeps wanting to install - will not run

T

TheBaconMan

I have been stuck on this all day.

Uploaded a build to Steam for the first time. At first I was using NSIS installer, but I switched to compressed zip, thinking that would solve my issue. Nope.

When I try and run my game through Steam, it downloads OK. But when I click on the icon, the game just wants to install. Even if I install the game (again?), the newly created .exe will only want to install yet again.

I would guess after I download from Steam, ideally, I should not have to "install" the game.

Probably some simple thing I am missing. Game runs great via Gamemaker, with Steam enabled, but will not run through Steam. Also runs great as an .exe with Steam disabled.

I do believe I am using the correct, older steam sdk.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
You probably misconfigured the startup arguments for the game (on Steamworks site), causing it to not find what to run and trying to install again

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
Do you have the Installation Settings in SteamWorks set properly?
I had similar issues until I fixed these.
You have to tell Steam the name of the app executable for each platform otherwise it has no idea what to do.

Then

Hope this helps

T

TheBaconMan

Do you have the Installation Settings in SteamWorks set properly?
I had similar issues until I fixed these.
You have to tell Steam the name of the app executable for each platform otherwise it has no idea what to do.

Then

Hope this helps
Funny, that is exactly the page I left open last night. I don't see anything wrong. I have the exact .exe name of my game, then "launch (default)," "windows" and "any" cpu. I only have the one launch option. See anything wrong with that, or any other suggestions?

T

TheBaconMan

Thank you! I think I didn't have the steam key referring to the depot.