• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Is it worth updating from 1.4.1804 to 1.4.9999?

O.Stogden

Hey,

I still use 1.4.1804 for working on my game, and was wondering if it was worth updating to 1.4.9999, is there more benefits than downsides?

Not entirely sure what V9999 added/changed/fixed, although I have heard that it's quite buggy and a few things stopped working properly in that version.

Thanks.

O.Stogden

You could always...check the release notes.
Thanks, it seems like there's a few fixes and updates that would be useful. But I know there were a few bugs introduced in 9999 that weren't in 1804 that aren't mentioned there, so I was wondering if there was anything game-breaking that 9999 introduced?

Basically the changelog just lists the positives, I was curious about what the negatives were, as I hear 9999 was a bit of a mess and some asked how to downgrade back to 1804 afterward.

N

NeonBits

I don't remember if the changelog has it but I've read "image_blend" doesn't return the right color.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
I still use 1.4.1804 for working on my game, and was wondering if it was worth updating to 1.4.9999...[snip]
In my opinion, no. Not worth the effort. Bug fixes aside, it's still Studio 1.4.

You're probably tired of hearing this... but I'd recommend spending the effort porting to Studio 2. Any further coding you do in 1.4 will just mean more code to adjust once you finally import to Studio 2.

Upgrading version 1.4(x) reminds me of my grandfather's story about the man who wanted to travel to the moon. One day my grandfather saw him climbing a tree, and asked him why. The man replied, "I'm getting closer to the moon."

O.Stogden

The game will probably stay in 1.4, it's been in development for 2 years now, and I don't yet own GMS2, I plan to buy it when it's next on sale, which will probably be another 2-3 months away, and the game will be nearing end of development then (hopefully). The aim is to switch to GMS2 when I start my next project.

But thanks for your advice. I'll just stick with 1804.