• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Extra Folders in GMS 2 Folder and Github

samspade

I know that I could test this myself, and I will if no one has the answer, but I wanted to ask first as I'm slightly worried that trying this could corrupt or otherwise mess up my GMS 2 project.

I back everything up using source control through git. What I want to have is a separate folder in my git repository that I can use to store text files and other assets (design documents, code typed in notepad, and so on). I can think of several ways to do this.

I could first of all have a second git repo that is unconnected to my backed up project. This is what I'm currently doing. This is kind of annoying.

Second option would be to create a separate branch that has none of the source code and never use this branch within GMS 2 - e.g. push and pull only to the master branch. This seems doable but kind of a misuse of what branches are supposed to be and also opens up the possibility of a really bad merge.

Third option would be create a folder in the GMS 2 project folder itself. This seems to be the best way to do it. Can I create new folders in the GMS 2 project that is unconnected to the project itself or will that cause issues within the project?

Or is there another way to do this?

Mick

Fourth option would be to use external source control (easy to setup with gitlab or bitbucket and github desktop). You can then have a parent folder in which you have the gms2 project and other subfolders for project related files.

E

ElegantMistake

Fourth option would be to use external source control (easy to setup with gitlab or bitbucket and github desktop). You can then have a parent folder in which you have the gms2 project and other subfolders for project related files.
This.
I have no idea how GMS works with source control but for all my projects I use Bitbucket (which has free private repo's) and Sourcetree as my git client.
Just git init the root of your project where you have multiple folders inside (project, resources, ...)

I strongly recommend following the gitflow as your branching model

samspade

This.
I have no idea how GMS works with source control but for all my projects I use Bitbucket (which has free private repo's) and Sourcetree as my git client.
Just git init the root of your project where you have multiple folders inside (project, resources, ...)

I strongly recommend following the gitflow as your branching model
As far as I know, there is a bug in GMS 2 that can kill a project with multiple branches, so unless that is fixed, I don't really want to do the full git idea, though I'm waiting for when it is so that branches and especially working easily with other people is an option. See: https://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=29196.

GMS 2 also has a source control drop down menu and commit option, which is generally what I use, though I use gitbash to push it to github. If you were to do this idea, can you still use the the drop down menu built into GM or will that cause errors? In other words, will I need to switch completely over to gitbash?

E

ElegantMistake

As far as I know, there is a bug in GMS 2 that can kill a project with multiple branches, so unless that is fixed, I don't really want to do the full git idea, though I'm waiting for when it is so that branches and especially working easily with other people is an option. See: https://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=29196.

GMS 2 also has a source control drop down menu and commit option, which is generally what I use, though I use gitbash to push it to github. If you were to do this idea, can you still use the the drop down menu built into GM or will that cause errors? In other words, will I need to switch completely over to gitbash?
It seems the biggest problem is merging branches and being unable to fix the merge conflicts due everything being a code mess(?)
I'd advise not do any merging/branching then until that is fixed, however the point still stands that you handle git on your own rather than GMS (I don't know where GMS inits the repo).

So if git is initialized in the project folder of the game, I wouldn't recommend messing around there but rather having a parent folder where my git is initialized with multiple subfolders (including a resources folder). If this is possible in GMS, sure do it there!
However i'd use one remote origin to push my code to so it depends where GMS inits the git folder

samspade

It seems the biggest problem is merging branches and being unable to fix the merge conflicts due everything being a code mess(?)
I'd advise not do any merging/branching then until that is fixed, however the point still stands that you handle git on your own rather than GMS (I don't know where GMS inits the repo).

So if git is initialized in the project folder of the game, I wouldn't recommend messing around there but rather having a parent folder where my git is initialized with multiple subfolders (including a resources folder). If this is possible in GMS, sure do it there!
However i'd use one remote origin to push my code to so it depends where GMS inits the git folder
If you use the drop down menu inside the GMS 2 IDE it creates the git folder in the GMS 2 Game Folder Which GMS 2 creates with every game. You can commit, push, and pull directly from the GMS 2 IDE but I've had crashes with pushing and pulling so I only ever commit - which as far as I can tell works just fine - and then I open gitbash and push.

I don't know if GMS 2 will like me putting the game folder inside of another folder, but I will experiment with a dummy project and find out as this is pretty much exactly the result I want to achieve.

Mick

You can commit, push, and pull directly from the GMS 2 IDE but I've had crashes with pushing and pulling so I only ever commit
One of the reasons it's better to use external tools, built in source control in GMS has always been buggy (no offence YoYo).

I don't know if GMS 2 will like me putting the game folder inside of another folder, but I will experiment with a dummy project and find out as this is pretty much exactly the result I want to achieve.
It will work fine. I have been meaning to make a tutorial to show how easy it is to setup source control entirely outside of Gamemaker Studio (Bitbucket + GitHub Desktop), but I haven't fount the time yet.

Jobo

GMC Elder
Third option would be create a folder in the GMS 2 project folder itself. This seems to be the best way to do it. Can I create new folders in the GMS 2 project that is unconnected to the project itself or will that cause issues within the project?
Your project lives inside a folder that contains a *.yyp file (your project file).
GMS2 manages subfolders in that folders for each resource type (sprites, objects, scripts, datafiles, datafiles_yy, etc.)
Beyond that, it's a completely normal file directory.

The answer is yes, it's a normal folder, you can put whatever you want wherever you want as long as you don't put it into folders that are tied to resources in your project (deleting a sprite deletes its folder).